Why is woman asked to compromise.......scientific reasons to this, if any....

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by meena2, Mar 14, 2010.

1. sridivya

sridivya New IL'ite

Is that for real??.........How RIDICULOUS???? Never knew govt. can be that stupid.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

Yes Sri. I was married in a temple and the temple certificate by the Govts Endowment board was deemed null.

3. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Oh wow, this thread has done quite the tour:).

Sounds like some of us are optimistic based on the changes we see while others prefer to stay fixated with the slumdog version.

Btw, corruption is not local to India either. it is called lobbying in the US and happens at the politician level as opposed to the chaprasi level. We can thank the process of lobbying for genetically modified foods, high cost of university eduction, inaccessible healthcare, subsidies to rich farmers that do not deserve them...

-----
    On a lighter note--
    A new study from the Michelle R. Clayman Institute for Gender Research at Stanford University has found that female scientists do 54 percent of their core household tasks, such as cooking, cleaning, and laundry—about twice as much as their male counterparts. (Paid help and children made up some of the difference.) The results reinforce the findings of other studies. Most important, they indicate that women often have more obligations at home and lower retention rates in their fields

Jennifer Sheridan, executive and research director of the Women in Science & Engineering Leadership Institute at the University of Wisconsin at Madison, said many women in the work force—not just scientists—do a disproportionate amount of housework. But because a successful scientific career demands more than 40 hours a week, she said, female scientists could be especially affected.

4. ananthy

ananthy Senior IL'ite

yeah i know. i learnt this art of covering it up from one the members here in this discussion.

you are right i should not get "over emotional" when someone calls a "developing" country an "under-developed" country. i know i have to develop a buffalo skin when someone says "your country is this ... your country is that" and infact cheer on saying " yeah mate you are right i am with you".... it is quiet an art and i am new to it. poor me.

i think i am having an eye defect since i am able to see ISRO/IIT/IIM/IT sector/women's reservation/growing infrastructure/airports/railways/sports improvement/women's literacy and independence/literacy in even in remote villages/ tremendous improvements in the field of medical science /women excelling in every field etc. in short a "developing India". gotta get my eyes checked.

btw i was expecting the above comments from the moderators. didn't know that you were the moderator of this thread. thanks for the reminder.

and please dont take the pain to type a reply to this one again.

dear moderators: you can delete my posts if you want to.

5. sridivya

sridivya New IL'ite

:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh.................

6. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

:thumbsupWell said,Ananthy!..

Srividhya, On a lighter note, It looks like somebody has given a reputation for your laughter.

7. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

Moderators: If you decide to close this thread (which I recommend because of too many controversies), I'd request you to close this thread with a note, all of us are women here and we voice out the same ideology. Women must not succumb to any kind of violence or exploitation irrespective of their race, creed and ethnicity. It doesn't matter whether it is a lady in a downtrodden Indian village or just next to the Buckingham place or the White House, a woman is a woman is a woman. She needs to be respected, appreciated and cherished.

When this social change and responsibility seeps into us, our nation will develop by itself.

A special note to Malavika and ASG. I personally appreciate both of you for one reason, despite living in the foreign shores you contribute in every other thread because of your Indian ethnicity. I only treat this as a gesture of not snapping off your ties with the country.

Hum honge kaamyab ek din!:thumbsup

8. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

You chose it, you bribe, suck it up or you fight it.. It takes lot of perseverance and endurance to fight for the right.. History is proof enough for this..
    In this thread itself Sridivya gave us an example of how her father fought it.. He had ample reasons and excuses to backoff.. But he didn't, he stood there firmly and fought it out..
    Same applies in this case also..

Yes, it should go down and we have to lobby for it.. Recently RTI (Right to information) was passed by govt. of India.. This should help in establishing transparency in govt. offices and transactions..

Look, the Govt. is not wrong in imposing taxes on petrol.. The govt., also needs revenue to run the administration.. Taxes are a source of govt. revenue.. It is ok to increase taxes on petrol than increased food prices.. Increased basic food prices would adversely affect the poor, but increased petrol prices will not have such adverse affect on the masses below poverty line who can just afford three meals a day.. The budget has to be balanced out in some way right..
    The govt., is accountable for each and every paise of the tax payers money and so are the citizens to the govt.

Housing has become unaffordable by middle class population, but isn't it our responsibility to elect a MP/MLA, who will consider this issue and find a solution..
    The MP/MLA representing your area has to voice out this issue.. If he cannot voice out, he need not get elected..

Again i repeat, our problems are unique to our country.. A model that worked for UK economy might not work for India..
    There need to be economic reforms in India too, I am not saying it is perfect..

I'll give you a similar example in USA.. I wanted get my license from a DMV, On the DMV website they listed out documents for id verfication and address proof.. It said a bank statement can be an address proof.. Since we had made everthing paperless, we took a print out of an 'online bank statement' , The DMV refused to accept it as address proof.. They said they'll accept if the bank statement is sent by post.. I had to wait for a month for the statement to come by post and then get my license done..
    So it will be there in any country..

9. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Hey,

Finally, this thread is turning positive.

The reason I butt in and wrote was only because statistics, terms were being used ruthlessly.India developing and growing is such a "happening" thing in front of our eyes today, that I simply cannot be without writing here. It is not patriotism, but plain giving facts.

ASG, The 70% bit was wrong. I gave a link on it as well. While there may be friends who will not share a abuse history, a sweeping statistic like that is pretty weird. That was what made me investigate on it.

Since the discussion has taken so much on what India should do - here is what I feel, having got my education here and lived here almost all my life. This is what India 2050 should see

- A sound media system. Conscientious. Courageous.
    - Affordable Justice - to all classes of people ( religious and economic)
    - Planned infrastructure development - There has been so much of ID happening in the last two decades. In fact, more than India has ever witnessed, but it was not planned.
    - Clean Rivers and water systems.
    - Solid waste management
    - Better sanitation
    - Excellent government hospitals. The Indian healthcare system is a excellent one. The doctors, paramedics and the facilities are on par with any system in the world. What slows them down is the non-interference of a government transit system.
    - Roads. I have to put this other than infrastructure, only because it is a separate important task by itself.
    - Affordable education. For all of you who do not know, education is the one most expensive expenditure for a average growing Indian ( if he has access to it)

And if it is not too much to ask, a non-caste system. No discrimination, in all levels ( religious, economic in every sector and a clean political non-family based system! I am sure missing many things. Do pitch in whatever you think would make a difference.

Arch

10. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Not very true. I am not talking here on a already introduced product being launched in India. I am talking about a custom made product for Indian population. McDonalds has a McRajaTikki or something like that, specific for indian taste buds. They did it because they wanted the average indian to walk into a McDonalds and have a burger. MNC's are forced to indianize their products, and they are more than willing to do so in a populated - disposable income having economy like India, China. Another example would be Nokia on its low-cost travel phones.

Malavika - I really liked your other post on what you think India needs to work on. Very well put.

Arch