Friends hurting me too much.........All from Tamil Nadu!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sangeeta2010, Mar 16, 2010.

1. sangeeta2010

sangeeta2010 New IL'ite

Hi all:

I have a problem related to friends here. I have been in this place for a long time almost 8yrs now. Earlier the complex was more cosmopolitan meaning Indians from different communities lived here. Lately, some of them sold off their houses and moved out.

Indians here, mostly people are from Tamil Nadu.

There are about 7 Indian families and majority, 6 are from TN. No matter how much I try to be friendly to them, they all move in their own group.

Recently, a family moved in new and I was the first one they met. I talked to them for sometime and later called others to my house and introduced her to rest of the ladies. To my surprise, they all visit each others houses and excluded me conveniently. They even had dinner parties where the newcomer (Tamilian) was included but never even bothered to include me.

I have been observing this for quite some time and really feel so bad at the way they behave and treat me.
    When we are all at the bus-stop or play ground, swimming pool, they talk in their language ignoring the fact that I do not understand. I have told them very politely that I cannot follow the conversation. For a couple of minutes it will be in English and then back to Tamil. It is not that they are not comfortable speaking English but they just do not seem to care what other person feels like when they chat away in their language.

These days I really do not feel like meeting any one of them but that kind of attitude bothers me.

Sangeeta

2. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

sangeetha,

i'm a tamilian . i've had the same problem here in USA. So, decided to move away from them . In US, ppl move as groups. They get confined to groups, helping within the groups, any fun and everything wihin their groups only. Either, ignore and get used to it or move out of such apartments if possible.

1 person likes this.
  3. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

Sangeeta,

I had similar experiences and believe me it was invariably from Tamilians.
    They would talk to me and be friendly only till the moment they find some other Tamilian. That's it! After that I will be very very conveniently excluded from their friends list.
    No offense here but I am speaking from my experience. I have observed this so much in all these years. Trust me, these days I fear getting friendly if I come to know they are Tamilians only because I do not want to undergo that again.

So, Sangeeta, you make other friends and do not confine yourself to this one group. I know you feel bad when they ignore you and I understand how it feels because I have been through a lot of times....not only once or twice.

Adara

1 person likes this.
  4. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

hi all,

perhaps that's the same prejudice among everyone. I feel that whereever there is a majority of one sect of indians the other indians feel left out. i've never felt so in india.

solution perhaps is , to avoid prejudices, and that's why others seclude us !!!!!??????

1 person likes this.
  5. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Sangeeta,

being a tamilian i feel so sad to hear this but i would like to tell you something..i have myself experienced the same situation and still experiencing it(in workplace too) :rant:rant...this is not only with tamilians but quite common amongst most senseless idiots..kindly ignore them..itz always better to stay alone rather than being in a bad company..they are not kids,@ this age they should know how to behave in the public..don't worry...wish you get a good company soon :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  6. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

Thanks OP for letting me know that Tamilians are well knit. IMO, we tamilians are the most divided group. We can never group together or help each other.

I always thought the Telugus and the Mallus were like that moving in groups.

We are virtually here to befriend you. :rotfl:rotfl

1 person likes this.
  7. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Me too had the same thought :)

8. Prettina

Prettina Gold IL'ite

Exactly said...

Canwait you stole the words from my thought...

9. pussy

pussy Gold IL'ite

I too have faced this kind of problems in Chennai.
    This is not only with tamilians, its very common. In my office there was a malayali girl. She will talk very nicely with us only upto her malayali friends arrival. After that they will start chating in malayalam only. They won't think about others. The same will happen in office when two or more north indian people meets. They never mind about others. They will talk in their own language only.
    I think it depends on their mentality not on the state, country or language.

All over same problem is there, Simply ignore them.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  10. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    The sitaution is the same everywhere so I can kid of imagine what you have said! Ignore them though is it difficult to do it at all times, if they wnat to have a good time without , on purpose, ignoring you then there is no point in you feeling bad about it. When you introduce people to one another many make it point to leave you out, and they form their own group ,beats me why they are like that!
    Make friends, move with people outside the building if you can!
    Don't let those who not really matter affect you!
    Hope you feel better soon!