1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Immigration to Canada

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by Raechel, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Teenaabraham

Teenaabraham New IL'ite

Hi Raechel,:wave

I am glad to help as I too have received lots of help and useful suggestions from friends of such forums. Normally Indian certificates do not hold much weightage and additional qualifications pertaining to Canada are sought. But I have a couple of cousins in Toronto, who got into good positions within a month of coming to Canada with the Indian CA and MBA degrees.

There is no need to pay huge amounts to agents for making a CV. Visit the 'workapolis.ca" site or "monster.ca" site and they have sample CVs especially for Canada. They have step by step process outlined for making a CV. Take some time out and follow the process. You will have a good CV. For eg. in Canada CV experience over 10 years is just mentioned as 10+. No nationality and age is ever mentioned. No personal details or references unless requested. Very brief outlines of skills and experiences. You also do not write experiences in various companies as 'from Mar 05 to May 06". YOu always write it as '2005 - 2006' i.e. no months mentioned. So there are such tips given in the site.

We have currently decided on Toronto since job opportunities and some friends are there. Our landing was smooth. There is a separate counter to immigrants and they are very polite and helpful. The officer checks your paperwork (Immigration paper - this comes when your visa is stamped and Visa stamped in your passport) and matches it with the information on his computer. Crosses your visa out and directs you to the next counter where they give you all required information about various immigration help centres and how to apply for SIN and Health Insurance and Tax Benefits for children. It also details the nearest Immigration service centre to your place of residence. These services are free. If you need help with English language, they also give you help with that. The application for PR cards is done by the officer himself at the counter. We were done with our formalities and picked up our baggage and was out of the airport within an hour. So it was simple. Next day we went to an Immigration Service Centre next to our hotel in Missisauga and applied for SIN. After 3 weeks we came back to Dubai and one of our friends collected the SIN and the PR cards (approx. in 4 weeks) and couried it to us in Dubai.

In order to apply for a Canada job, it is preferred that you give an address in Canada. The employers are more keen then. So you can try from outside and give some relatives address there. If any response comes, then you could tell them tht you will be landing soon. I suggest that you do all job checking only after your visa is stamped, so then you know that you will be landing during a particular month. You can then line up any interview for that time.

Out of 10 people who land in Canada, there may be 4 -5 who do not have very good experiences depending on their expectation and frustrations. Also the unknown is always fearful when we leave our native land and are going to a place which is so different from ours in culture, values, climate and people. But there are many good things that we can take from Canada and that should be the motivation. All the best.

Whew that was a really long one.... Wow..... Regards..Teena

2. Raechel

Raechel Senior IL'ite

Hi Teena,

Your reply was really helpful, I loved reading your long and informative post, so do keep on sharing info and experiences with more and more long and informative posts.

Even I find such forums helpful, though our agents provides us with informations,which is more like what one gets to read on the official websites , it is you people , who share the real experiences which counts the most, you people provides us with all guidance which helps us in preparing for our landing.

All those tips on CV writing is very much helpful for future immigrants like me, let me check the 'workapolis.ca" site or "monster.ca"site , so that I don't have to shell out extra money to professionals.

Feel relieved that with indian qualifications also one is able to get good jobs in canada, from whatever i have heard I got the feeling that the employers consider only the canadian experience and qualifications.

Teena, one more query, like you came back after activating the PR, now is there any time frame like to be back in Canada, so that you can continue with your PR status, or is a simple activation enough so that one can go back whenever one wish. Also you have mentioned about being in Mississauga for just 3 weeks, is it mandatory to spend at least 3 weeks for PR activation?

Overall I have mostly heard good things about Canada, and also that people are friendly and helpful to immigrants, of course there might be some exceptions . Getting everything sorted out in 4 weeks is really fast, considering the time it takes to get such things sorted out in India

Thanks a ton, dear. It was very kind of you. With friends like you, grace, depma, mona and others, we should be able to get through the whole process smoothly, you all have been very helpful and patient with us, though we keep on coming up with new queries every time.

Best Regards
    Raechel

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  3. marytharaken

marytharaken New IL'ite

Hi to All,

I am new to this forum, was going through different forums when i stumbled upon this thread, which gives out very good information for PR applicants like me .

I have applied for PR to canada 8 months back from India, under the skilled worker category, as accountant. I have applied for Ontario Province. As you know after applying I have been doing some "research" about Canada, and had heard from some people that places like Alberta and Sakawtchen are where immigrants has greater chances for getting jobs, but seems the winter is very harsh. Can anybody in canada advise on this.

Also would like to know about London, Ontario. most of the people are saying dont go to toronto, it is like dubai, very difficult to get jobs as most of the immigrants go for toronto, it is saturated. I have read somewhere that london is mewhere near to toronto, yet the job market is good owing to lesser number of immigrants.

how is the job market in other provinces, why is it most of the people are choosing, Ontario, British Columbia & Quebec, is it easy to get job there or is it because of the weather.

Thank you all of you.

Regards

Mary

4. Raechel

Raechel Senior IL'ite

Hi Mary,

Welcome to IL, it is very good place to meet indians from different parts of the globe.

I have applied for PR recently, preparing to take IELTS in Jan, I have seen you post and it looks like your PR process was really fast,from where did you apply, just curious seeing your name, are you from Kerala?

Wish you luck

Regards
    Raechel

5. marytharaken

marytharaken New IL'ite

Hi Raechel,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

yes I am from Kerala, I applied through an agency from calicut, not much popular but strongly recommended to me by one of my contacts.

I applied in Jan '08 and their processing was pretty fast. They asked me submit all the documents including IELTS result score, which helped me to get the whole thing processed really fast.

Once you submit all your papers, the processing is really fast now.

Best of luck for your PR.

Bye for now
    Mary

6. Raechel

Raechel Senior IL'ite

Dear Mary,

Thanks for your reply.

Good to hear that u are from Kerala.

Do keep on posting the developments of your PR processing, wish you luck.

7. marytharaken

marytharaken New IL'ite

Hi,

I had applied for <ACRONYM title="Page Ranking">PR</ACRONYM> to Canada in jan 2008, through a consultant, the processing was pretty fast initially, but lately there has been some change in the staff and now I am not happy with their service.

I have received the file number fast and submitted all documents as required on time. I was expecting the whole procedure to be completed by 2010 May and do the landing by Aug- Sept.

I have paid the visa fees on receiving the file number and I was told the process will be completed in a few months time. Whenever I call up the consultant the new staff in charge is not able to answer my queries and the whole proces has come to a standstill, I am in a difficult situation.

Is there any way that I can contact the CIC directly and request for changing the consultant or else take up the matter and proceed further personally???????????

If so please let me know the procedure

Best Regards
    Mary

8. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

Any clue if IELTS is mandatory for those who apply for Canada PR from USA? I heard that its optional is you apply from US, but still doubtful reading the posts here.

Sorry for my ignorance, but how tough is IELTS exam? Do we need to spend a lot a time for preparations / do we need to attend any special training before appearing for ielts?

9. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Hi writeme,

IELTS is not tough, if you know English grammar, vocabulary and if you are good at Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking then you are through. If you go through the practice materials and take up mock up tests, listen to the conversation from IELTS CD's...

Regards,
    Pandu

10. sushii

sushii New IL'ite

anybody has applied from agent for canada pr. please share