Ginger Chutney ( Allam Pachchadi)

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by skchivukula, Feb 18, 2010.

1. skchivukula

skchivukula Bronze IL'ite

Dear Friends
    Though I make allam pachchadi for dosas and idlis, its not that tasty.
    Can anyone help me in giving the ingredients for allam pachchadi (not ginger pickle)?

2. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

This is the way i make usually for 2 people:

Ginger - medium sized piece
    Ghud(bellam)
    urad dal - 2 to 3 tsp
    methi seeds - less than 1/4th tsp
    red chilli - as per taste
    tamarind pulp

Grate the ginger. This is very important. If you cut into pieces and if its not grinding properly then you will get pieces in mouth. In 1/2 tsp of oil, roast urad dal, methi seeds,red chilli and put it in the mixi to cool. After cooling, take the grated ginger, tamarind pulp,salt, little hing and grind it. Add little water in between.Grind it to a very soft consistency. For seasoning, take 2tsp of oil, add mustard,jeera and karepak leaves and then add the ground paste. Now add ghud (preferably grated or small pieces) and keep on stirring it. From my experience i have seen that it takes more amnt of ghud than ginger for this chutney. As we like it to be sweet, i add lots of ghud.

Enjoy with your dosa/idli.

3. narra

narra Silver IL'ite

skchivu,
    i have one recipe. i think you can like it.
    ginger-cut them into pieces
    grn chillies-
    jeera-
    curry leaves-
    salt-
    tamrind(soaked)
    jaggery-

fry grn chillies, curry leaves and add peeled ginger pieces and fry it until raw smell is gone. soak tamrind in water till it become soft. add jeera. once its cool , grind everything including tamrind. lastly add jaggery and grind it one more time. if you want you can put talimpu(seasoning) too.

hope you like it
    enjoy!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  4. skanum

skanum New IL'ite

I make this allam pachchadi in this method with the same ingredients --i add jeera also when frying which gives it a good taste good for digestion,try this also.
    shyamala
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ghud(bellam)
    urad dal - 2 to 3 tsp
    methi seeds - less than 1/4th tsp
    tamarind pulp

Grate the ginger. This is very important. If you cut into pieces and if its not grinding properly then you will get pieces in mouth. In 1/2 tsp of oil, roast urad dal, methi seeds,red chilli and put it in the mixi to cool. After cooling, take the grated ginger, tamarind pulp,salt, little hing and grind it. Add little water in between.Grind it to a very soft consistency. For seasoning, take 2tsp of oil, add mustard,jeera and karepak leaves and then add the ground paste. Now add ghud (preferably grated or small pieces) and keep on stirring it. From my experience i have seen that it takes more amnt of ghud than ginger for this chutney. As we like it to be sweet, i add lots of ghud.

Enjoy with your dosa/idli.[/quote]

5. skchivukula

thank you pman, narra and skanum for the quick response. I will try these out.
    BTW Welcome to IL skanum

6. Preeti varma

Preeti varma Senior IL'ite

Hi skchivukula,

Ghud(bellam)
    ground nutes - 2 tea spoon
    Jeera - 1 tea spoon
    tamarind pulp

cut ginger into smalll pieces.
    Now take the vessel and put some oil and add jeera, ginger, red chilles
    after 3-4 mins once the ginger is nicely fried add Ghud and salt as per taste and tamarind pulp.
    after 2 mins remove if from teh stove.
    Take another vessel and fry the ground nuts withoul... and once they are done switch off the stove.
    First grind the ground nuts and once it is powdered add the ginger mixture we have prepared to it.
    take it to a bowl and add the thadka to it...and the tasty ginger chatney is done....

7. skchivukula

Hi Preeti
    this is a new way. I haven't tried allam pachchadi with groundnuts. It sounds nice. Will try it out

8. karunamurty

karunamurty Bronze IL'ite

hi chivukula
    Saw the earlier posts. Thought I could add the way I make allam pachadi for idlis. so here it is:

Ingredients:
    medium sized piece of ginger
    channa daal (senaga pappu) ,
    urad daal (minapappu),
    jeera,
    red chillies,
    sugar or jaggery (preferably the latter)
    Tamarind pulp

In a teaspoon of oil add 1 tbsp of channa daal, same qty of urad daal, 1/4 tsp of jeera and 4 red chillies. Roast until brown. Once this cools you may grind this with cut pieces of ginger, 3 tsp of sugar or jaggery, salt according to your taste and tamarind pulp.
    Tempering this chutney is optional. Tastes as good without the tadka / talimpu.

9. skchivukula

Thank you Karuna for the response...........

10. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

I make two varieties.

One is the keralite traditional Puli Inji (some call it Inji Puli).

Take pulp out of one lemon sized tamarind. U can take the first thick pulp and also add water and repeat.

Wash and peel a big piece of ginger and chop to fine pieces. Take 4 - 5 green chillis finely chopped and grind the two together.

In a kadai add gingeli oil - when hot - add mustard seeds - crackle alongwith 1 tspn urad dal and two red chillies and 1/2 tspn of hing powder. Add turmeric powder and the ground chilly ginger paste and fry for 2 mins and then add the tamarind water and boil with reqd salt to taste and little jaggery. When boiled for 20 mins and has become thick switch off the gas and transfer to a container. Goes well with Idli, Dosa, Curd Rice (a yummy combo). Can be stored in the fridge and will last for a week, if nicely boiled.

The other is the Ginger thokku.

For this, wash peel and grate the ginger. Fry 1tspn each of urad dal, channa dal, 5-6 red chillies and hing powder. Take tamarind of small lemon size and grind the grated ginger, fried items, tamarind, little allam, salt to taste into a nice paste. Then saute this ground paste for 5 mins after spluttering mustard seeds and red chillies in gingeli oil.

This also goes well with idly, dosa, rice and chappathis too. My son loves it.