1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another feather on our Varalotti's cap !

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by Chitvish, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Varalotti’s Non-fiction book has hit the bookshops !

Dear I L ites,

Yesterday I had a very pleasant surprise ! Varalotti’s book publishers, Kavitha Publications, phoned me up to inform that his new book on non-fiction has been released by them. They wanted to give me the privilege of buying the first copy ( ofcourse only next to the author ! ) since I was the first person to buy his “ Jannal” and “ Visaranai” ! Needless to say , I did go ahead.

Yet another well turned out book, the new one is. The title is “ Vetriyin Vidaigal”. I asked the publisher if this was similar to Shivasankari’s non-fiction, “ Chinna noolkanda nammai chirai paduthuvathu? “, which was a big seller and my favourite gift to my friends. He said, “ that book is no more relevant in today’s life, whereas this book of Varalotti will be relevant even after 40 yrs “ ! Sridhar, you have a great fan in your publisher, which, I think, is a very favourable point for a writer !

Now, the preface is so well written, that, true to my latest interest, I can’t help writing a “mini” review on it !! Honestly it is “ par excellence”. Very rarely do we come across such an enjoyable preface, no exaggeration at all. All the four points, you have briefly touched upon – about universities, life lessons, family members’ reactions and the reference to vitamin pills, bring out your brilliant thoughts. Each is briefly, but very nicely written. In Tamil, the word “ angalaikarathu” is hardly ever used properly, often misused only to show disgust ! You have used it so well, bringing out the meaning in the best sense. I also loved your pun on “ vetru” and “ vetri”. It is a pity that only those who buy the book can read such an enjoyable preface – the book is rightly sealed in a cellophane cover.

Sridhar, as per your suggestions, I expect my daily dose of your 2 vitamin pills per day, will fortify me to better my performance in I L !

Since I always love to give my favourite non-fiction books a gifts, this falls under that category. So, I L ites, whoever visits me in the next few months will receive the gift of a book written by one I L ite, from another I L ite. One and only criterion is, you must be able to “savour” tamil. Both of us belonging to Madurai ( famous for Tamil Sangam ), we love Tamil marginally more than English !

Sridhar, please go back on your posts – I vaguely remember a mention that you will share a ( miniscule? ) portion of the royalty with me . You seem to have conveniently forgotten your word - howzzatt ?

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006

2. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

your write up is more beautiful

Dear chithra,
    i just read your impressions of Varlotti's new book . If you think Varlotti is lucky about his publisher he really has Madurai Meenakshy's full grace to have you as an enthusiastic reader. In fact your write up almost tempted me to go to tnagar and buy the book immediately but as i finished reading your article, I have almost decided I will be the first to get that book from you! Hozzaat for a change?the biter bit?
    Regards,
    Meenu

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Very Kind of You, Chitra!

Dear Chitra,
    Moved by your post. When my first books were out I made an announcement myself. This time I was a little skeptical as announcing my own books might be a kind of self-promotion, the last thing I want to do in this wonderful forum.
    Your post at this time is more of a blessing.
    yor enjoying the word "angalayikirathu" and you being happy about it brings out your discerning taste in the use of words. It was not for nothing that the poet/writer who has no equal (Anupama, I mean our Pankaja) said that you can write poems on your own.
    Regarding royalty, Chitra, take whatever you want. I will send the entire Royalty proceeds to you. Take whatever you want and send the balance to me.
    I could write the book easily. But for writing the preface I had to incubate for more than a week. And now seeing your words of appreciation I am happy that the trouble has borne fruit.
    As another elitist ILite (guess who?) used to say frequently saying "thanks" for such kind gestures like these is only a mark of arrogance. I dont want to be branded an arrogant person.
    Chitra, I owe you one.
    regards,
    sridhar

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Way to go..

Once again Chitra! You seem to make it a habit of bearing the good news to your IL'ites:) I was thrilled to read about the new book release of Varalotti Sridhar. He is indeed an amazingly talented man. We are fortunate to have him amidst us.
    Your review whets the appetite of anyone to read the book at once.
    It was very decent of the publishers to call you to be their first customer for the book. Not only did they recognise the special talents of their special writer, they also knew the speciality of you. Wise publishers indeed:)
    As if the charms of your culinary expertise and the ever so inviting look of your home were not enough, now you are tempting us with Varalotti's valuable books...do you also send the air-tickets by any chance??!! Ha ha.

Sridhar/Varalotti...Many many congratulations on your latest achievement. May many many more follow. We are all very proud of you. From whatever I have heard of it, it is going to be a landmark book.

Love and regards, Kamla

5. nuggehallipankaja

nuggehallipankaja New IL'ite

Varaputra!

Sridhar,
    Truly are you the varaputra of MadureMeenakshi! Whatever alphabet you touch, seems to spring to life as 'Literature' of different shades,drawing forth the hidden fount within 'Hitherto blissfully unaware of their potentials' gems like Chitra and her brood.

May the book get Sahitya Academy Award!
    Thank you for informing me-I really feel honoured.

6. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Congrats Sridhar!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Chitra,

thank you for yet another great news!!!!!!!!!!!
    your write-up is beautiful & I'm calling up the publications & placing an order tomorrow itself.

You always keep us posted of good news & the latest happenings, and keep us connected. thank you again.

Love & regards,

7. varalotti

Thanks Meenu

Dear Meenu,
    thanks a million for the nice words you have for my friend, Chitra, who is my ardent fan, first reader, the first reviewer and so far the first buyer of my books.
    If you are near T.Nagar you go to the shop and buy the books. If you are in mylapore you go to Chitra's. In the latter alternative not only you will get the book free but also a treat and Chitra's love and affection.

regards,
    sridhar

8. varalotti

Thanks A Ton, Kamla

Dear Kamla,
    thanks for those endearing words. Words like them coming from people like you will drive me to write more and write better.
    Now this book is not an orginal work. I have collected 65 incidents which I experienced, I read about or heard and have attempted to infer the life-lessons hidden in them. Some of them have come as forwards to me. (I saw some of the same forwards here in IL also). Though people having an Internet Connection and a mail ID are sure to have read that, this book is intended for those who don't have that kind of an access.
    And there are incidents in my own life. Like when my friend lost his chapal in the train or like when I saw my classmate becoming a rich tailor or a brighter student (than me) collecting chapals in the temple.
    I learnt from these incidents and so I thought I would share them with the world.
    You are a very smart lady! You asked for air tickets. If you visit Chitra's house you have the nicest food and have the book just for the asking. And above all air tickets!
    One thing I assure you. I don't know how valuable my book is. But Chitra's hospitality and her nice food is definitely worth the cost and trouble of traveling from the other end of the world.

And thanks Kamla for the really beautiful e-card you sent to me on the release of the book. Your words have never ceased to inspire me to do better.
    regards,
    sridhar

9. varalotti

I have Already Won Sahitya Academy Award

Dear Pankaja,
    thanks for the kind wishes. And as to the Sahitya Academy Award, I have already won it. If Anupama herself says that I am the varaputra of Meenakshi, what greater award do I need to win?
    As I told in my reply to Kamla, this is a non-fiction anthology where I have just listed 65 incidents which I exprerienced or read about and try to build life-lessons from out of them.
    I seek your kind blessings which to me are more precious than the Awards,
    regards,
    sridhar

10. varalotti

Thanks Meena!

Dear Meena,
    thanks for the nice words (though they were intended for Chitra). I am thrilled that you are going to call up the publishers.
    Last time when my books were out and I was calling my publishers every other day I was proud to hear from them,
    "sir, there's a lady from Mysore who wants to buy your books. Looks like you have fans all over the place."
    In my attempt to preserve my writer's ego I didn't tell them that the lady is my friend and it was more out of affection for me that she had called.
    And Meena, my sister did the same thing.
    She went to the publishers and without telling them that she is my blood sister she bought about 4 sets of books which prompted the publishers to call me,
    "A lady from Adyar has brought 4 sets. You are really great."
    I did not have the nerve to tell them, 'I am not great but my sister's affection is great.'
    regards,
    sridhar