1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Writing Woes

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Iravati, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Writing is painful. Everyone asks, but why? Writing leaves me sore and bruised from exhaustion. They say, but you effortlessly scribble so much.

Thus, began my story to explore why writing is so painful to me. I exercise writing like physiotherapy to fix a taut muscle. I write painfully to make it feel less painful. Back in the early days of my career, I would avoid sending emails and sit by a veteran junkie who loves sending emails. Occasionally, I would finagle an email to be sent on my behalf. There are usually two types of email junkies. I would watch how he types with a blazing ferocity that never requires the backspace. They type away with impeccable format, punctuation and diction that almost reduces the backspace button to a redundant worker. Then, I would watch how another pecker on a separate occasion starts typing and retraces and then starts typing and halts ...he halts ...as if he is divining for a word to make its appearance in a meditative trance. Slowly, he would move the sluggish finger and type something only to murderously bang on the backspace before you could even read it. They strive for harmonic wording. They write, then delete, then two writes, then two deletes and so forth until the deletes subside and the writes surmount and the revisions nicely fold up the bedevilled email.

However, that is not where my story unravels though it has such insightful beginnings. For me, writing is painful. The folds and ridges of my brain are so twisted and tonked that to find order in such melee is like blowing a whistle in a rugby stampede. One would expect words to be ordered and sorted nicely in the brain.

upload_2017-9-28_14-19-25.png

When you invoke a feeling or muster an emotion, you expect the word to self-identify and walk towards you like a lucky candidate called forth in a game show. My brain is rough-and-tumble. There are no order or rules that on invocation the words erupt in a scuffle. I am confused which ruffian to adopt in that scuffle.

upload_2017-9-28_14-19-42.png

Next, with great pains and deliberation even if I were to finalize from the eager candidates, I am stumped when I try to control them. One also expects the brain to instruct and discipline these rogues to settle down in harmony.

upload_2017-9-28_14-20-32.png

They don't! They take positions that escape all structure and sense.

upload_2017-9-28_14-20-50.png

Last night I typed a sentence -- "this was transgressed here and there by me".

Later, I was struck by the monstrosity in that sentence. "was", "transgressed", "by" , me"! What mangled form have I summoned! They are prodigal verbs and shy nouns. I was puzzled if the active muscle encroached on the passive tendon or they both just smashed up into a mutant disfigurement. Is that even grammar?

Therefore, writing is painful. The words have no priority and the attendance is a jumble. I have always been curious to feel for a day what it is to be a pounder who strikes an email in one fell swoop or to be a pecker who falters at each unseemly expression. I, on the other hand, have to battle the chaos, the scramble, the gush and the assemblage of such unruly mob into a fluent choir. One day I might conquer my impediment. I might be that someone whom a rookie would approach to proxy an email. I might pound or peck having neutralized my scramble and gush. But for now, I have to love what I have in me that took to compose this text streaming the clutter into a filament from verbal haemorrhage. Hey, you there, who called you?

upload_2017-9-28_14-22-26.png

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Scorpio707, Lata6, Kamalji and 5 others like this.

2. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Iravati,
    I read this twice over and liked it. Yes writing can be a pain mainly because it it's always difficult to find words for feelings and emotions. I however feel that it is a pleasure when I write just what comes naturally to my mind. The idea is to express myself is as clearly as possible and that is possible only when I do not make efforts to choose words from dictionary. Normally i think in my mother tongue which is Hindi and then translate the same into English. Sometimes it is difficult to find the right word but then the idea is to convey my thoughts and not win a championship. That way it remains painless.
    As a writer my first objective is to give words to my thoughts. The second is to see if there are readers and if yes, if they understood it and if so, if they agree or disagree with it and finally if so, have they expressed why? Any writer would need audiance and appreciative at that, failing which the urge to write is killed. But then there are writers who write for self satisfaction, spend their own money for publishing it for general readers. If it is appreciated fine, if not, so what.
    Tulsidas said he wrote Ramayana for his own satisfaction in the sixteenth century. Today it is an epic, read by all Indians and also translated in many languages.
    I keep writing for self satisfaction. Who knows one day my writings may get attention and someone will nominate me for Noble Prize. The very thought brings smiles on my face.

satchitananda likes this.
  3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I shall consider that as two distinct members to falsify my reader count.

You are blessed to be able to write with joy. I write only informal chatter with such joy. When it comes to dry and official writing, I wince.

As such my brain is chaotic and on top of that if I were to choose words from dictionary, the border skirmish would be a fatal sight. I rarely pull up dictionary when I write. Such overhead is best to be avoided for my petty musing.

upload_2017-9-30_9-38-52.png

The 'very thought' is vital. They talk of stuff that dreams are made of .... such stuff though invisible is substantial to keep us going. Writing for self-satisfaction is the best form of creative writing. That smile matters, rather the only thing that matters.

PushpavalliSrinivasan likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    It sounded like Irving Stone's The Agony and the Ecstasy. You should be feeling now as ecstatic as Michelangelo after finishing his job. When people tell me that life is not a bed of roses, I cannot agree with them more. I often use to think 'let it not be a bed of roses', but it can atleast be a bed good enough to promote sleep at least within an hour of hitting it. Writing is a part of our life. When the life itself is not a bed of roses, how can writing alone be?

When I joined the Bank, I was considered a joker in letter writing. When I addressed a letter to HO, I would mention the subject matter in one line after 'dear sir' and write next, 'With reference to the above, see my below'. The above implied to the subject matter and the below referred to my detailed reply to the same. I never knew that folks in HO laughed till their belly ached on reading this phraseology of mine. Once a senior officer visited my branch and told me to substitute my opening line with 'apropos'. I had never had of this word before and thus started my education in writing.

Is writing so much dependent on the gray matter? You surprise me. I just have half a brain, half a pair of eyes and a single communicative finger but I never felt that writing was a pain. Physically yes as I have to push my tummy away when my typing involves the bottom of the keyboard. But it's fun I tell you and it's about the only exercise my tummy gets!

I feel grateful to a friend who once told me to write what I want and people would make sense of it and if they couldn't, they would work on it like solving a crossword puzzle in any elite newspaper. I implicitly follow that advice till date. I have heard people telling me 'writing is so painful. How do you do it with ease?', I tell them, I don't write anymore. I type.

5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Last night I typed interactive responses to your funny comments here and at QPQ. Wait, I should sketch an accompanying picture. I deferred to today. What difference today or tomorrow, only 12 hours. We spoke of a friend of mine from college days in QPQ. I spent a lot of time with him. A lot of my crazy and quacky behaviour is imported from him. I asked him once when he was going through pain in life, how should I treat you? I am confused. He responded, treat me like you have always treated me. No different. I would catch up with you soon, very soon. I have acquired that outlook from him in life. When people ask me, how would you want to be treated. I say the same, like you have always treated me. No different. I see a lot of him in you. I see that same spirit and wit and courage and non-sensical senseful bearing in you. I know that you would prefer if I posted the original comment as it is with no contrived alterations though I dropped the picture.

You see, there, there, Michelangelo never wanted to paint the Sistine Chapel. He thought of himself as a sculptor and then a painter. But Pope Julius was a clever man! He bribed Miky into painting the fresco by sopping him with the commission of his tomb. Dude, you paint the Sistine Chapel and I shall grant you forty marbles to sculpt my tomb. Similarly, my formal writing is a diplomatic bargain to my cheerful and nonsensical and informal writing. Any time I painfully compose a serious mail, I will unleash ten silly mails subsequently.

This is the wittiest of your innocent wit. You should see some of my early writing from pre-college. I would write like a Mesopotamian scribe recording the civic transactions of the sheep sold and the grain bought. There won't be one useful outcome of my writing. It would be dry and devoid of all spirit. College changed me, then the foodie gang changed me. Now you cannot find one meaningful outcome of my writing.

But your ''With reference to the above, see my below" is classic! If we both were working in the same bank, this is how our correspondence would have looked.

Sri: With reference to the above, see my below
    Ira: Please find in between answers to your questions.
    Sri: That is inline, not in between. I have upped a file in support of down text .
    Ira: I downed the up file. Here is the after invoice for the before email.
    Sri: Ok, I am closing the opening deal.
    Ira: Thanks for the transaction and regards for the translation.

Our correspondence would never have been recorded for training purposes.

Hope to catch you soon. Hugs to you.

satchitananda, Thyagarajan and Nonya like this.
  6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Iravati,
    I think those who were born before the invention of internet won't have the writing woes. I started writing letters even before attaining teen age. Of course letters were dictated by my mother. Later on after marriage also I used to write letters as phone connection was not there for many relatives.
    Letter writing is an art and your scribblings proves it. Even scribblings requires a lot of effort, but it seems it comes to you naturally without much effort. I admire your emoticons.
    PS

Thyagarajan and HariLakhera like this.
  7. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

I was very surprised to read that writing for some people can be so agonising . It had not even crossedd my mind at all . I know authors struggled with mental blocks to find good subjects to write about , but i had thought , writing itself came easy after finding a subject .

I belong to the generation that wrote pages and pages of letters , fountain-pen on lined paper . What arose in mind became words on paper. It was like talking . talking long distance not via telephone but via paper . Ofcourse we dint stop to worry about its literary merit or if the word used was grand enough or not . No . Just communication. And it was pure Joy to write . Also, pure Joy to read replies that came promptly in cream coloured , pre-stamped envelopes.

8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

you have in those lines echoed the feel of majority of writers. thanks. Regards.

HariLakhera likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

quite true. Doctors as a tribe do not enjoy writing it appears. see their prescription in the years gone by when computers not heard of. Even today some physicians write prescription with their own hands that only compounders/medical man can decipher it. I wonder how doctors in love during those era were writing and exchanging billet-doux. thanks and Regards.

10. Thyagarajan

:hello:quite interesting and hilarious. An application was made out by a student - "Sir As I am suffering from leave kindly grant me two days headache". another incident of a student writing to dad - " Dear mom and dad - I am glad and sad, as I had passed and failed in typewriting and shorthand respectively.' I like the racy response. Thanks and Regards.