Writing essays/compositions with verbal stimulus

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by nityakalyani, Aug 25, 2010.

1. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Hai to all,

I just want to start this link so that we can learn together how to write in English within a fixed boundry.This will help us to learn vocabulary and comprehend situation.

I am starting this one. I want you all to write/scribble something on this theme. will wait for your posts.

Write a story based on the episode below.

I went to the stationary store to buy some art materials. As I was walking I saw paint box lying in the ground below the shelf. I looked around to see if anybody was looking. As nobody was around I picked it up and put it in my pocket. Later I noticed that two eyes were watching my actions.

Based on the above situation, write a composition of at least 150 words

In your composition, make use of the points below:
    Who was watching
    What was I doing
    What will happen next
    You may reorder the points. You may also include other relevant points.
    This I use while I teach international students online.
    I would like you all to participate
    nityakalyani

Here is the
    essay i wrote

As soon my classes get over I always head home straight. On the way to my house I have to pass a shopping mall, play ground, and a kid’s park. As this was going to be my last day for this week I decided I shall go to the stationery store in the mall and pick up some paint materials for my art class. Hence I requested my dad to give some part of my pocket money so that I can purchase the materials.
    As the school bell rang I went to my art teacher and asked him to provide me a list of all the art materials I require for the competition I will be participating the next week. As I was entering the competition in the junior category I required only the basic items like crayons, water colors, poster colors, chart papers, some board clips, pallatte, brushes, and a bottle of turpentine.
    As I entered the mall I dashed to the stationery shop and was scrolling the racks. I was amazed to see that there were so many art materials and I did not have problem in picking my relevant things as I had already taken the advice of my teacher. I pulled a trolley and started to pick up all my requirements as per the list I had. While moving my trolley suddenly I noticed a box of crayons. It was an attractive box and a costly one too. I looked across the lanes of the racks to see if somebody had by mistake dropped it. As I felt nobody was there I immediately picked it up and put is into my pocket. When I turned the corner of the lane I noticed that a pair of eyes was watching my actions.
    Then I realized it was the eyes of a fat lady who was cleaning the floor of the shop. Immediately she informed of my action to the supervisor of the store. He immediately called and took me to a room and questioned about the action. He said normally nothing is left on the floor and how did I get the box. Immediately he called for the security staff and asked them to the box thoroughly. While they were checking and opening the box suddenly a spark came out of the box and the security persons went out and diffused the sparks. The supervisor first scolded me for picking up things which were not the usual kind. He explained the seriousness of the situation. Since the staff were able to control in the beginning itself the store did not have any impact if the box was left unnoticed it might have caught fire and the store would have reduced to ashes. As I had helped the store, the store supervisor as a token of appreciation gifted all the art materials I wanted. I just dashed back to my house and it took me sometime to come over this situation. I realized that I should not lift anything which is odd looking.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Nitya

Good Essay. This reminds of my school days when we were supposed to write Essays. Some were difficult to write but some were easy.

Let me also try

While we were studying in School we were not so well to do. I was very fond of Drawing. But my parents could not afford to buy costly things. Those days we did not have big malls like how we have now. I used to see my friends use good paint boxes which were costlier than what I had and I felt one day I should also own one.
    When I told my friends about this they told me what is there you go to the shop and when no one is looking you take the box . They wanted to put me in trouble . But I did not know about their idea. So I went to the shop and thinking no one is looking at me I took one paint box from there. I did not know that two eyes were watching me. I was so scared that without looking back I came out and showed the box to my friends. My friends were about to take me to the shopkeeper and complain about me. Just then an one uncle who was old came to my friends and told them , he is your friend why you want to get him punished. Its not a good thing to steal anything. In this age you should learn not to tell lies, not to steal and be a good person and work hard. If you had told your parents about your wish they would have helped you to get one. O.K. now don’t bother I will help you in getting the paint box. Lets go to the shop and tell them by mistake you had taken the paint box and return to them , then I will buy it for you. I was happy , I just bowed down to that uncle and that day I learnt that we should not tell lies not steal and I always used to remember that uncle’s advise. I studied well and in my college days only started giving tuitions in the night and earned money and with that I paid my fees for college and also used my spare time to draw and paint and later I became a great painter. I always remember that uncle’s advise and today whatever I am I owe to that Uncle.

3. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Dear Viji ma,

Hats of to you for your feed back.Thanks for the essay. This is what i teach online.Some students call it creative writing some call it as compositins/essays. Every student will give a different answer and I have to judge them their ability to think and recall.Here we do not give importance for grammar.
    Nice story and thought provoking. I have saved this essay on to my file.

nityakalyani

4. RainLady

RainLady Senior IL'ite

Hi
    Today only I saw this thread, so I am going to post my essay. Let me know.

Painting is my favourite thing to do, so I joined an art class. I want to pratice the painting
    taught in the art class, so I went to the stationary store to look for the painting supplies.
    As I was browsing through the aisle, I saw paint box on the floor. I picked the paint box,
    when I was about to put the paint box in the shelve, I got the crazy idea of putting in my pocket. I looked around there was nobody, so I put the paint box in my pocket.

When I was walking towards the next aisle, I saw a fellow shopper looking at me. She went to the store manager and informed the situation. The manager came to me and took me to her room, she searched my pocket and found nothing, because I realised that taking a paint box without paying is bad, so I put it back in the shelve before the manager came. The manager was very embarrassed about the search and she gifted me the paint box.

5. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

6. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

This is a nice idea Nityakalyani!!! How often do you wish to post a new scenario? You should continue with this and I hope more people participate. It is fun and a good exercise. It is like one of those Monthly competitions that come up here on IL. Write about some picture or scenario in limited number of words. Instead of AT LEAST 150 WORDS, I think you should keep a specific number. It forces people to think creatively. Good thinking........

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  7. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Thanks you very much K2S for dropping in to read. Thease is what i practice when i teach foreigh students. they do have great ideas but are not able to pen down. This is the best way that i can correct them for grammar, vocabulary and comprehension. Thanks for your idea. sure will try to initiate some thing more. Thanks for the encouraging fb. Happy Navrathri

8. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Kalyani
    I missed this place on a prompt time.But now I'm IN.
    I too liked this mode of increasing the writing skills.Bow for your trial run.

When was just into imagination its coming up nearly two pages..is it ok for you.:hide::)
    You see its my minus(dunno if it is) and when I sit for writing anything I can't stop.esp poems,,all will end with a long passage of essay type lengthiness.
    Then you can imagine how it would be(my essays)

So let me start my scribbles from your next topic onwards,after practicing in summary shortening :crazy
    Till then Bye.

9. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

No problem 2 pages it is fine Saroja mam, you can start. this is how we realise that students given in a situatin can think differently and have their own reasoning. Your writing will be useful. thanks for your appeciation

10. meerajesh59

meerajesh59 Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    Nice thread and Nice essays. My first trial after my school days.

Honesty never gets defeated

My friends used to make fun of me as “Neighbour of Harichandra”. Since I hate lies and not interested in other’s things too. There is an incident behind this. When I was young, I lost my dad. My mom was a servant maid. She worked hard to educate me and my brother. My mom used to tell “whatever you do God is behind you to watch over and so before doing wrong things think of God”.

One day I am in need of art materials for my assignment. I had only few pennies. So I went to the shop keeper and asked him to give the materials for the money I had. But he refused and asked me to pick up the materials only for the money I had. So I felt sad and walk inside to choose the materials I need. As I was searching for my things, I saw a paint box lying in the ground. Suddenly I got an idea. I planned to buy other materials with my money and I planned to pick the paint box without others knowledge. I looked around. After confirming nobody was there, I picked it up and put it in my pocket. All of a sudden, I felt two eyes watching at me and I shocked. When I turn around there was no one and there was a God’s frame hanging in the wall. At that moment I realised my mistake. I went to the shop keeper and gave the paint box to him. In token of appreciation, he accepted to give the art materials for the money I had.

My mom is not with me now. But her words are with me and I am living by it.