1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

World Cup Finals and Other Cricket-- My Take

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sojourner, Apr 3, 2011.

1. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

I started this as a comment to knot2share's blog entry Sweet victory. It got quite long and decided to make it a separate blog entry.

You can see the highlights of the finals here.

Virat Kohli (I think it was him) gave one of the stumps to Tendulkar, instead of keeping it as his own souvenir. This was touching.

When Dhoni hit the last six, Yuvraj was one the other end and was coming to hug Dhoni. Dhoni's first thought was to get a stump for souvenir. ["We can do hug-vug later" he wrote :)] He should have gotten all the six stumps and given it out to the deserving players. Surely Gambhir deserved one too. Of course, he (or anybody else including me) could hardly think straight.

To me, the following were the highlights:

1. Dhoni's batting. (He promoted himself in the batting order so that they could maintain the left-right combination. He also wrote that he wanted to take on Murali, being able to spot his doosra, having kept wickets for him in Chennai Super Kings. Yuvraj is suspect against spin, I think.)

2. Gambhir's batting. I wish that he had gotten that 100. It was a short, straight ball. He probably was tired. Adrenalin was also probably working overtime.

3. India's (especially Zahir's) bowling and fielding in the first 45 overs. We had them in a choke-hold of sorts. Jayawardene got them out of it. 276 was a daunting total.

4. The whole personality of Yuvraj. [He used to call Tendulkar grandpa, until Tendulkar threatened to call him names too :)] He seems so unspoiled. There used to be a time when only city-boys took up cricket. This has changed a lot now. I get the impression that Yuvraj is a country boy.

5. Virat Kohli.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    During the post-match ceremonies, Sehwag said something about hiding 38 year old Tendulkar in the outfield. [I need a smiley here but am allowed only 4 per blog entry.]

Ravi Sastry asked the Indian team to come and pick up their medals in alphabetical order, calling for Ravichandran Ashwin. Who walks in first? Sehwag. Ravi Sastry made some joke about Sehwag always opens the innings and is used to walking in first.
    ------------------------------
    In the end, we were rather lucky. It could easily have gone the other way.
    -------------------------------
    Seeing how happy I am, my wife has been saying all morning that the next time the Indian team comes to England or the West Indies, I should go see the matches live.
    -------------------------------
    I live in a small town in the US midwest. There is a bigger city about 60 miles from me. The India Association there organized the viewing of the match, which was to start at 4.30 AM our time. If I left from home, I had to leave at 3 AM or so, which I didn't want to do. I went and stayed in a motel about 15 minutes from the announced site. I left the motel without checking out and reached the site only to find out that there was nobody there. This whole area was not a good (but not necessarily the worst) part of town. There was a small sign saying that the site was moved. I drove to the new site, which was a banquet hall in a restaurant. Fortunately, there were about 20 cars there.

They were projecting the picture from a Web site on to a big screen. Initially, the picture would go into 'buffering' mode a lot. After a while, they somehow improved the picture. They also projected the video from two different sites. Most of the time, at least one site was "moving". There was also about 30 seconds time difference between the two. If I missed seeing one one screen, I could always see it a few seconds later on the other screen.

I went by myself. My wife is not that crazy about cricket. There was a Telugu family sitting next to me, a man, a woman, and a twelve-year old child. They made the watching enjoyable. The woman -- a very friendly one -- was an ardent fan, making requests like "Gambhir, hit a six", "Dhoni, do something" :) For me, this was like going back in time. We were all high fiving each other, when Dhoni hit the first six. He is Mr. Cool on the outside at least. (He said that Yuvraj for one was constantly throwing up in the dressing room.) I wondered whether this lady is a member of IL.

This restaurant is having a party tonight where they are showing replays. They also have dancing scheduled. The point is that nobody wants to go back to real life. (I am not going to the party though.)
    -----------------------------------------------
    I grew up as a cricket-lover. The main competition for my high school in Chennai was St.Bedes High School in Mylapore (though Don Bosco was also a bit of thorn on our side). We all believed that, during a close match, the Don Bosco priests caused rain to occur by praying and sulked collectively in the unfairness of it all. Almost every year, my school played both the junior and senior finals against St. Bedes. The finals were invariably played on a Saturday. Buying an English newspaper was a luxury my family could not afford. I would be highly anxious the whole weekend, dying to know the results. Come Monday, I could go to the school library and see the results in its paper. Once in a while, I would accidentally find out the results during the weekend itself, while playing tennis-ball cricket, for instance. If my school had won, my spirits would soar. Of course, I couldn't tell my colleagues that my family couldn't afford to buy The Hindu, for fear that they would stop associating with me. I was a good student and most families encouraged their kids spending time with me, but I always feared that there were definite limits to their tolerance.

You know the routine:

அருள் புரிவாய், கருணைக் கடலே

:)

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Congrats sir!! WE WON!! The Cup is Ours!!

It was a fantastic match sir, enjoyed every moment!!

Our boys made us all proud!!

Akila

3. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Indeed.

Cricket brings us together like very little else does.

4. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday's feverish excitement has still not

subsided for all of us....that's what shows in

your (and K2s's) post there.

O my! my!! cho cute the way you had to

catch the action from two

screens..anyway..worth all that strain of

yours to travel to that banquet hall.

Sojourner....WHOOOOO WE WON!!!!!!

:cheers
    Saras

5. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

hello sojourner,

HARDWORK AND STEADY TEAM WORK HAS TO BE AWARDED. WE AS INDIANS PROOVED THAT WE ARE CHAMPIONS OF CHAMPIONS. TENSION MOMENTS ENDED UPWITH HAPPY MOMENTS AS SARASVADIVU MENTONEDIT WAS A FEVERISH EXCITEMENT.
    ALWAYS PROUD TO SAY I AM AN INDIAN

6. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful writeup sir !!!!!!!!!!!:cheers

Unforgettable moments !!!!!!!!!!!!:bowdown

WE WON !!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers

7. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Sojourner
    Wonderful to read your blog and thank you for the reply. I think the excitement of the win has not yet subsided. I really can't be bothered working at my desk today! Enjoyed those fine observations from you.

1 - You were right about MS Dhoni promoting himself up the batting order. That was quick thinking on his part. I remember reading about how Dhoni is familiar with the "dusra" from Muralitharan from his IPL matches. But honestly I don't quite understand what a "dusra" is and felt quite inadequate to write about. I guess it is interesting to read into the finer tactics.

2. Apparantly Gambhir is very uncomfortable in 40s and 90s :). I think we all will be and more so the players.

3. Zaheer Khan did really well with his bowling, but I guess the treatment he had from the Srilankan players in the last five overs really does no justice to his brilliant early spell. But final overs are always like that with anybody isn't it?

4. I did hear about how much Sachin Tendulkar has helped Yuvraj psychologically. And that explains the emotional moment he had when he hugged Sachin in the end. He has come a long way.

5. Kohli along with Yuvraj and Raina were the stars on the field. They were like this iron wall doing everything possible to stop runs from being taken.

I think everybody for once showed that they wanted the win very badly and for the team. They gave everything they had. It was wonderful to see Sachin cheering and jumping like the rest of the youngsters in the team (and hey, 38 is not old!). I don't think I have really seen Sachin diving near the boundary line trying to save the four before (in whatever few matches I have watched and remember). He was an inspiration too among the boys.

What can I say - for the effort, commitment and team spirit, we deserved the win in this game and it just happened to be the finals so all the more good!

Forgive me if I am blabbering. Victory is just too sweet to wipe that smile away so soon :).

8. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

> Forgive me if I am blabbering

You were not blabbering.

> hey, 38 is not old!

Agree :)

> I don't quite understand what a "dusra" is and felt quite inadequate to write about

In the days of the Net, you shouldn't feel inadequate about anything. Just about anything can be looked up. [Exceptions are of course theoretical physics and the behaviorism stuff I have been writing about, to mention a couple :)]

An off spinner normally bowls off breaks -- it pitches to his left and moves to his right. Doosra is an off spinner bowling leg breaks with almost the same action -- this would pitch to his right and then move to his left.

Here is more information on the doosra.

A couple of interesting tidbits from the above link:

Bruce Elliott, the UWA professor who is also the ICC biomechanist, had made an interesting discovery in his dealings with finger spinners. "He said he had found that a lot of bowlers from the subcontinent could bowl the doosra legally, but not Caucasian bowlers."

Saqlain Mustaq, the developer of the doosra, claimed to have developed a new variant called the teesra, which is a top spinner disguised as an off spinner. [Top spinner has no side spin. The ball spins only in the forward direction.]

> But final overs are always like that with anybody isn't it?

Yes. I wish that they would do something about it. It makes the game a mockery sometime. Zahir's initial figures were something like 5-3-6-1, if I remember right.

Later.

9. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

> Sehwag said something about hiding 38 year old Tendulkar in the outfield

The Tamil association in a nearby town has a summer picnic each year, where we play tennis ball cricket. I played a couple of years ago. I have always thought of myself as this suave guy though I don't quite dive. After I gave away too many runs due to my slow running, one of the young guys said to me with a smile,

"Uncle, you better move here"

and hid me at the point position (close to the batsman), where I could cause only minimal damage :)

10. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

An old joke about cricket [the game played by eleven fools but watched by eleven thousand fools :)]

A man is at the Lord's cricket ground. His son joins him a couple of hours later. This is how their conversation goes:

"I have bad news for you, pop. Our house burnt down."

"Oh?"

"And that's not the worst of it. Mum forgot to renew the home insurance."

"Awful news here too."

"Oh?"

"Hutton's is out."

:)