Working in IT after marriage?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by tweety4687, Jan 20, 2012.

1. tweety4687

tweety4687 New IL'ite

Hi all am new to this forum...Wanna discuss few things in my mind to all of you...
    Iam married to a defense person and posted in a place where there are not many employment oppurtunities..i was working in IT firm before marriage and software engineer by qualification..but i never liked my job and got any satisfaction in my job...
    After marriage while looking for job i got software job only again...eventhough i was not interested in it all my friends,family advised me instead of sitting idle at home take up this job...so i took it and didnt like tat job and quit it...
    HAving married to defense my lifestyle v different from others...when my husband is getting leave of 20-30 days yearly once only i can also go home and visit my parents n family...it is v difficult to get 20-30 days leave in any private firm..so eventually i get bad name in office and i start feeling low that am not able to do ay job well...
    I wanna work but that should not affect my family life with husband...which we cant expect in IT..the industry is like that...i always had interest in teaching and training...i thought i will take up a teaching job..but am not getting it right now...now also am getting IT jobs only...ppeople around me are suggesting that y dont u take up this instead of feeling bugged at home..there is no pressure from my husband n family that i should work...but still am really in a confused state...what should i do...jus for the sake of working i should take up the software job n work or should i wait for the job i like...
    Need your suggestions friends....

2. lali31

lali31 Senior IL'ite

If you are not interested in IT just leave that option.We should have interest and involvement to continue any work.Try for teaching jobs as you said you are interested in it.For short term, you can start tuitions for kids in neighbourhood if money is not of great importance for you now.

3. Sanguineme

Sanguineme Silver IL'ite

I can understand your feelings as I am also in the same kind of a fix. Now you might feel that you can manage at home peacefully. But after a while, you will be bored and start feeling lonely. Idle mind is a devil’s workshop. Its always better to be engaged with something.

You can think of joining any IT training institute for now. You will be able to plan your schedule properly as to how many hours you want to work for the day. But yes you will be required to compromise on your salary a bit for now. Once you gain experience in teaching you can demand your wish. This would also be good option when you have your kid also. This the best solution you can think of with a longterm perspective.

Hope my suggestion is helpful to you J

4. pranatim

pranatim Platinum IL'ite

Oh yes tutions is the best option or you can join any coaching center and teaching is a noble profession. Approach the coaching center and tell them what you are good at and take up those subjects,

5. tweety4687

tweety4687 New IL'ite

hi thanks for ur suggestions all...
    am also looking out for computer institute jobs...i know the pay will be v less...one more problem is suppose if i take teaching and later on if my husband gets transfer to other place where i get high paying software jobs that time i dont want to feel that i switched my field...i know am a lot confused and lacking in confidence level about what i wanna do in life...even friends and family got fed up about me...am so thankful that i got some good suggestions here..
    also to add am currently pursuing my MBA in HR through distance learning...am a lot intreseted in HR job also..is it possible to switch to HR job from teaching ...
    kindly help me to make a good decision...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  6. dakshayaeni

dakshayaeni Silver IL'ite

Hello, yeah, it seems you are really confused. If you are interested in HR jobs and still are concerned about travelling and losing that job here is one idea you may explore.

You may start up a small HR consultancy activity. This consultancy includes:

1. Search for right talents for companies

2. Filtering the candidate by doing a basic telephonic interview and then forwarding their candidature to the companies

For the first two, you need to enterprising since you need to touch base with companies to sell your venture, plus need to invest in taking up a log from any job portal to source candidates

3. You may focus on soft skill training as well - here you must know the modalities of soft skill training and enroll your Cv with head hunters

4. You may take up training in IT itself but as a consultant, I am sure you are aware that companies hire trainers to train new batches for a period of not more than 7-8 days in a month. here pay is good, depending on what technology you are teaching. To do this, you need to float your CV to head hunters as training consultant and approach training institutes, here you do not need to be on their payroll as its totally need based.

Further, in Indian Army, there are a lot of opportunities within their frame work to teach their staffs, or engage yourself in some social development programs where you can earn plus teach.

1 person likes this.
  7. tweety4687

tweety4687 New IL'ite

hi thanks that was really informative...
    regarding taking up as HR consultant...
    1.is it entrepreneur kind of job...how can i do it alone?
    2. i have already worked as soft skills trainer before my IT venture..tats immediately after college for a period of 6 months...n i loved the job...problem here in Goa is not that much big IT firms are there to take up somebody for soft skills training...all are small firms who just do small projects...:(..further i dont have work experience in that field na...
    3. Is it possible to do training and staffing without adequate experience...if i can do can you just tell me how to proceed...
    is there any course to equip myself in these things apart from my MBA(which am pursuing)
    Ya i have applied for some schools here and waiting for the call...but i have
    tough luck coz i dont have B.Ed...am jus B.E(CSE)....
    Thank you so much for your suggestions...

8. raki

raki Silver IL'ite

Hi Tweety,

I have seen this a lot of times. But one of my collegue's husband works in Dubai. My collegue used to take 1 month leave i.e. 20 working days at a stretch. She had discussed this with the Manager and shared her leave plan at the beginning of the year.

You share your leave plan by Feb so that your mgr can plan an other resource who will cover for you when you are on long leave.
    Make your manager understand that work life balance is important for you. This leave is important for you.
    You can tell you will connect from home if any emergency arises.

Gud luck :)

1 person likes this.
  9. tweety4687

tweety4687 New IL'ite

hi raki thanks for the suggestion...ur friend might be lucky...it doesnt happen with everyone like that..n further she might be working in big company...here all companies are v small..they cant arrange a replacement n all..when i go n ask leave for 3 - 4 weeks n all they will give astonished expression only...n more than leaves iam not interested in IT industry...my mind just lost the interest in working it...i dont find any job satisfaction in it...
    today also i got a call for a IT job here..but am not able to say confidently say NO to it because am afraid whether i will get some other good teaching job which i like or not...what to do friends??

10. raki

raki Silver IL'ite

Hi Tweety...

U have mentioned tat u r interested in teaching and training. Then you can work in a training institute for some time and then become a free lance trainer in the area you have gained exp. May be you can take up training on soft skills...this will be an added advantage for a HR.

Even in HR, there are positions for Training Head, Competency Mgt etc...

If you are currently not tryin to change ur field and plan to go for the new IT job..then at the end of interview while discussing abt the general points you can also ask abt how flexible they are regarding leave. You shud ask indirectly. Whether they have extra resources to cover for you when you are on leave.