1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

will diet affect the milk supply

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by sumividya, Mar 24, 2010.

1. sumividya

sumividya Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,
    my DD is 5 months old, when i delivered her the gynec asked me to eat more , so that i can have a proper milk supply, so my parents also stuffed me with more meal for lunch & dinner, with extra nutritions like pure ghee, 4 times milk , with mothers horlicks , apple etc, so i sat at home & had a lot of things , becoz of which i have put on a lot of weight , i am 75 kgs now, during pregnancy also i didnt go more than 65 kgs , but now i have increased a lot, my old dresses are not fitting me.
    my question is IS IT NECESSARY TO EAT MORE TO GET THE MILK SUPPLY OR JUST EAT LITTLE RICE & DRINK MORE MILK IS ENOUGH? i think iam not following a proper diet.:bonk
    becoz , iam going to go on a diet with 1 cup of rice for lunch & 2 wheat chappatis at night & 4 glasses of milk per day.
    iam also doing walking & some other exercises to in order to reduce the weight.

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

yes dieting will definitely affect milk supply. what you could instead try is spread out your meals in small intervals. like instead of eating 3 types of dishes (like sambar, rasam, curd rice) in one go, eat every 2 hours. include more veggies like koottu, salad (kosambari). when you want to snack eat fruit salad, smoothies (with yogurt).

Latha

3. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

I would follow the 'eat-the-right-foods' diet. I think there's no need to stuff yourself with ghee, sweets and other unhealthy foods. Instead try to include more proteins, calcium rich foods and green vegetables like moong daal, spinach, okra, yoghurt, etc. I've noticed that it's easy for me to put on weight post partum as with a hectic sleep n nursing n pumping schedule, there's a tendency for my diet to go haywire.

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

yup second "waitingfortej" i infact didnt have anyone around to give me any special diet anyway ... just make sure u take enough liquids though. and regular meals.

5. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Eating sensibly is the key :) I eat round the clock - every 2hrs i need to refill my tummy, but i strictly follow certain things in the way of cooking and what i eat.
    I take ghee too, i love having hot hot rice with melting ghee, i love hot chapati+ghee+sugar rolls :))
    Since am serving my sweet tooth in one dish, i got to cutdown on another, we do low spice, low oil, low salt cooking.
    I take sundal/poha/rusk/muffins/whole wheat bread/fruits/buttermilk - one of these every 2hrs, no chips/fried variety, no other sweets, mother horlicks - only when i anticipate a low supply after a tiring day, otherwise i take plain milk twice.
    Meals - i take rice/dhal/veggies - only 3/4th filling my tummy, i cant eat full :)
    IMO - if you reduce the intake, the supply too would get affected. If you eat sensibly, divide them and take small portions :)
    I do walk, exercise my tummy light :)