1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't men talk to their parents often?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Vij99, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Vij99

Vij99 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I got this doubt, my DH makes it a point to talk to his parents atleast twice a week + whenever they call in the middle. Mostly he or they call once during a weekday and once in weekend. We are abroad. However, I see most men like my DH's brothers, or friends' husbands, some call once a week on Skype as a couple or don't call at all for weeks together. This somehow makes me sad. I would want my son to talk to me over the phone personally atleast once a week, not Skype, not that I have secrets which I want to hide from his wife or something but just for that mom-son privacy chat. And pls don't think I love my MIL and am worried her other sons don't call her, she put me through hell with her behavior and words and I have no love for her. In fact may be I will be happy if my DH doesn't call her but I know its his minimum duty to call atleast twice a week, I speak to my parents everyday atleast for a couple of mins, if not hours as I am also quite busy. Some men completely shut off parents to the extent that the parents visit their daughter's house when abroad but only visit son's for a week or so...

What about your husband and sons? What the frequency of calls?
    Just being curious, I don't want my son to become like these other men...

2. Bavishya

Bavishya Platinum IL'ite

U r so lucky.my husband speaks everyday to his parents in phone.the day begins by calling them in the morning and ends at night by again a call.he is totally moms boy.i just hate it,(it is good if he just talks to them,but he says everything what is going here)
    i just hate that,I don't know when I get out from this

3. lucky22

lucky22 Gold IL'ite

My ex spoke to his parents everyday for a minimum of 1 hour :spin...can you believe that :bang.....he used to narrate each and every minute of our life to them and believe me that was abnormal, not to mention it was a nightmare for me. I hated the fact that he shared every single detail of us, I felt as though i had zero privacy. Your DH is in the normal zone, I have seen some men who do not speak to their parents for months together.

1 person likes this.
  4. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

what is there to talk about??:confused2:

3 people like this.
  5. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

My DH talks to his Sis once a week, she calls every week sometimes 2 times a week from abroad, his mom is incapcitated so she is in 'essence' his mother as she is 10 years older to him. I get irritated with her calling and him telling her stuff, however he knows now after so many years, not to tell her too much, as she cannot keep quiet about things and has to talk to everyone about it. But I still getting irritated with her calling, I wish she would only call once every 2 or 3 months, if that.

6. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

My DH pretends or lies to me in this regard...I know well that he speaks to her daily, my MIL won't get her so called sleep if she does not know what her little boy had for dinner previous day or morning BF :rotfl I consider that as a QC :x that she does of our life than a normal conversation with her son...

1 person likes this.
  7. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Does his mom live with you guys? If yes, then I think sister just wants to find out how the mother is doing.

8. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

okie let us see the issues we have
    - talking to Ilaws everyday
    - Not talking to them everyday
    -Having to skype
    - Skyping and they not asking for Dils

Covering the full spectrum are we???

1 person likes this.
  9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I talk to my parents once a week unless there is something to tell/ ask. I'm a woman BTW. My husband also started calling his parents once a week after he saw me talking to my family once a week, before that he called may be once in 2 weeks or whenever he'd time. I personally don't see calling/ not calling an issue. I love my folks even though I don't call them daily. They have cook and maid and I don't need to know what they ate everyday. My MIL and I exchange emails whenever we've something to discuss.

10. Vij99

Vij99 Senior IL'ite

Oh my!! I was thinking 1-2 times per week is min as well as max! Talking everyday to parents is indeed a lot. Looks like there are other categories I dint know of... I mostly saw men who never called and parents really miss them or feel ignored and I personally don't like it, even though you have love in the heart, the least you can do is call once a week to enquire of your parents' health and just chit-chat. I don't know its a turn off to see men ignore their parents and also a turn off when they overdo it!!