1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why do we light a lamp?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Ravisanu, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Ravisanu

Ravisanu New IL'ite

[​IMG]
    In almost every Indian home a lamp is lit daily before the altar of the Lord. In some houses it is lit at dawn, in some, twice a day – at dawn and dusk – and in a few it is maintained continuously (Akhanda Deepa). All auspicious functions commence with the lighting of the lamp, which is often maintained right through the occasion.

Light symbolizes knowledge, and darkness, ignorance. The Lord is the "Knowledge Principle" (Chaitanya) who is the source, the enlivener and the illuminatorof all knowledge. Hence light is worshiped as the Lord himself.

Knowledge removes ignorance just as light removes darkness. Also knowledge is a lasting inner wealth by which all outer achievement can be accomplished. Hence we light the lamp to bow down to knowledge as the greatest of all forms of wealth.

Why not light a bulb or tube light? That too would remove darkness. But the traditional oil lamp has a further spiritual significance. The oil or ghee in the lamp symbolizes our vaasanas or negative tendencies and the wick, the ego. When lit by spiritual knowledge, the vaasanas get slowly exhausted and the ego too finally perishes.

The flame of a lamp always burns upwards. Similarly we should acquire such knowledge as to take us towards higher ideals.

Whilst lighting the lamp we thus pray:
    Deepajyothi parabrahma
    Deepa sarva tamopahaha
    Deepena saadhyate saram
    Sandhyaa deepo namostute

I prostrate to the dawn/dusk lamp; whose light is the Knowledge Principle (the Supreme Lord), which removes the darkness of ignorance and by which all can be achieved in life.

2. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the lovely info and the slokas. Appreciate
    Jaya

3. Ravisanu

Ravisanu New IL'ite

Thanks a lot Jaya

Anu

4. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

Dear Ravi
    It is true that the deepam gives the inner peace.. and there is a bliss in doing so.
    Read earlier about the reason you have written about. But we forget after sometime all the things we should do. Reminders are always welcome.

5. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

a nice post. by this you lit a deepam in our herts. shalli share one thing? if you pour ghee and lit the lamp for 40 days wishing for something to happen, you will see it is happening. we should not lit the lamp facing south when we are litting only one face. thank you for yournice and useful description.
    with love
    pad.

6. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Very useful post. Elders always insist that we should lit the lamp in early morning and in the evening.

But the tradition is gone now. Thanks for bringing back the good tradition with an explanation on why.

Dear Padmini. thanks for your added info.

andal

7. Ravisanu

Ravisanu New IL'ite

Thanks to Muzna, Pad and Andal for your valuable comments..It gives me immense pleasure if i see all these comments for my post.

8. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

thanks for the post & slokas....nice one..

9. Friendly1

Friendly1 New IL'ite

This is a good post. I would also like to believe that by lighting a lamp we are creating a positive energy/ aura and this ensures that positive things happen to you!!

10. sandhyavarrey

sandhyavarrey New IL'ite

1.Why do we light a lamp?

Dear Ravi ,
    I am Sandhya new ILite. It is really a great idea to enlighten us
    about litting a lamp.
    I do lit a lamp every morning to get peace and confidence for rest of
    day.
    Sandhya