Why do we do Namaskaram to God and elders ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Sep 7, 2006.

1. veenakannan

veenakannan New IL'ite

Dear Chitvish
    I am thrilled..thanks again madam..this site was told to me by my daughter ..she was the one who motivated me to become a member..I am so happy she has given me a wonderful opportunity to discuss with senior people like you madam and enlighten our souls..
    lov
    veenakannan:clap

2. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra

Even I had this same doubt which veenakannan expressed. Even I have discussed it with my friends. I liked your reasoning. only you can explain it with this simplicity and understanding. Thank you chitra.

regards
    vidhi

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My dear veenakannan & vidhi,
    I cannot thank you enough for your nice words. I owe all my answers to everyone of you who asks me, with belief in me.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra Madam,

This is another wonderful post on Namaskarams. I have always wondered as many other ladies here about the Sashtanga and Panchanga Namaskarams, why men and women do these, respectively. Now you have enlightened me with ur post on this. Our hindu tradition and culture is so brilliantly amazing.
    I cannot thankyou enough for making, women like me understand all these traditions. I can now teach my children why we do Namaskarams to GOD and elders. Thanks Chitra Madam for that.

Love,
    Jothi.

5. Chitvish

Dear Jothi,
    Yet another F B from you for which I am profusely thankful.
    I am very keen that the next generation should understand the meaning of every aspect of our culture & follow it, enjoying the significance, as well.
    Please stay tuned, Jothi.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Here is what HH MahaPeriavaa says about Namaskaaram in Deivathin Kural. I stand corrected in what I said before in the "Pradakshinam" thread about HH MahaPeriavaa quoting Adi Shankara.

பரமேஷ்வரன் மேது ஒரு ஸ்லோகம் இருக்கிறது. அதில் பக்தர் இப்படி சொல்கிறார். திரிபுர ஸம்காறம் செய்த பிரபுவே, நீ என்னுடைய இரண்டு அபராதங்களை க்ஷமிக்க வேண்டும். அந்த இரண்டு அபராதங்கள் என்ன? போன ஜன்மத்தில் நான் உன்னை நமஸ்கரிக்காதது ஓர் அபராதம். வரப்போகிற ஜன்மத்தில் உன்னை நான் நமஸ்கரிக்காமல் இருக்கப்போவது இரண்டாவது அபராதம். போன ஜன்மத்தில் உன்னை நான் நமஸ்கரிக்கவில்லை என்று எப்படித் தெரிகிறது என்கிறாயா?

எனக்கு இப்பொது ஒரு ஜன்மம் ஏற்பட்டிருப்பதிலிருந்தே அது தெரிகிறது. போன பிறவியில் உன்னை நமஸ்கரித்து இருந்தால் அப்பொதே எனக்கு மோக்ஷம் கிடைத்திருக்கும். இந்த மறு பிறவியே ஏற்பட்டிராது. அது சரி, அடுத்த ஜன்மாவில் நமஸ்கரிக்க மாட்டேன் என்றது ஏன் தெரியுமா. இந்த ஜன்மாவில் உன்னை நமஸ்கரித்து விட்டேன் அல்லவா. அதனால் எனக்குப் பிறவியே தர மாட்டாய். மறு ஜன்மாவே இல்லாதபோது அப்போது உனக்குச் செய்ய வேண்டிய நமஸ்காரம் மட்டும் எப்படி இருக்கும். இப்படியாக போன ஜன்மா, வருகிற ஜன்மா இரண்டிலும் உன்னை வணங்காத குற்றத்தை மன்னித்து விடு.

இந்த ஸ்லோகத்திலிருந்து என்ன ஏற்படுகிறது. மனப் பூர்வமாக ஈஸ்வரனை நமஸ்காரம் செய்து விட்டால் போதும். அவர் நம்மை ஜனன மரண சக்கரத்திலிருந்து விடுவித்து விடுவார். நம் பாவங்களையெல்லாம் போக்கி முக்தி தந்து விடுவார். இந்த ஸ்லோகத்தைச் சொன்னவர் கவித்வ சமத்காரத்தில் பாடியவரில்லை. ஆவர் பழுத்த அனுபவசாலி, எனவே அவரது வார்த்தையை பரிபூர்ணமாக நம்பி நாமும் ஈஸ்வரனிடத்தில் சரணாகதி என்று விழுந்து நமஸ்காரம் பண்ணுவோம். நமஸ்கரித்தால் மோக்ஷம் நிச்சயம் என்ற நம்பிக்கையுடன் பண்ணினால் அப்படியே கிடைக்கும். சந்தேகமில்லை.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  7. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Very nice article Vidya!!!

Thanks for taking your time to type it in Tamizh.

-Gayathri.

8. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Mami,

As I am going thru all your vedanta posts, i was really drawn to this. You have beautifully brought out the significance of namaskaram and the washing out the ego. I have seen this aabhivadana namaskaram which is taught to a boy after his upanayanam. Recently I came to know from my guru when somebody is doing this abhivadana, the ladies should not stand next to the male. This introduction ladies should not hear was his explanation.

Just correct me if I am wrong.

9. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

I have a quick question. In many photos, I have seen a posture in which Hanuman sits before Ram Sita and Lakshman in the event of his return from his vanavasam. I heard that it is also a form of namaskaram. Can any one confirm it and also detail about the posture

10. Chitvish

Dear Lalitha,
    All I can say is, this is new to me!
    If your guru has said it, it has to be right.
    Love,
    Chithra.