1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why Do Friends And Friendships Change?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, Jul 1, 2016.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Coming to a foreign country,we lost touch with out good old friends.Making new friends of our wavelength without any expectations or ego is difficult after a certain age.

Today morning I called up three of my close friends back in India who I know for more than 10 to 12 years and one more than 17 years...

1) first friend...I realized she wants me to call ONLY when she is upset over something..but i was ok and happy at the same time that she trusts e to console her.However,other times she is always busy,sleepy or out.

2) second friend..she is my schoolmate and she talks fine but there is some sort of a disconnect between us..

3)third friend...she is also like the first friend.she has told me all her secrets.noting hidden.

I realized it is only e doing the calling.though they are in India,if they really like me they will do atleast a watsapp call right?infact,i even stopped doing watsapp messages coz it is only me doing all the talking.They do not even send me any joke in watsapp.

point is,i like them yet and i do not have any ego in doing the calling first.However,it will also feel good if the other person takes some initiative right?i am sure if i stop calling,they won't even bother.they do not hate me for sure but the closeness is not there anymore...is it because of the distance?

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

They are not your friends, but just acquaintances.

They know you, they trust you, they share things with you. But they have only a very little room for you in their hearts. They may have other friends, close buddies; thus they will be spending their time with them. They wouldn't think or even take any effort to call you. But they will speak to you if you call them, that too when they are free/available. They wouldn't make their time free for you. That's the reality.

I too have many acquaintance, whom I roughly call them as friends. I know them for many years, and there is one who studied with me since grade 1.
    We have spoken so much with each other including each other's crush, secrets etc early just roughly as we talked.. But we are not connected to each other beyond that level to make it a friendship or even to keep it alive for many years. So, we really don't have anything to talk to.
    I rarely think about her or even take my time to see how she is doing. It doesn't mean I hate her or dislike her. I just don't feel connected to her.

But I have friends, who really are connected. They miss me, call me, check on me and there is actually no worries as to who calls first.

So, don't bother about these acquaintance... They are not your friends

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  3. SCk

SCk Silver IL'ite

I even feel sometimes the way you feel, but give them some time say some 6 months to 1 year.You don t call them.
    They 'll miss you n get back to you. Even then they dint bother to call you, they won t. As the previous poster says they are your acquaintances.
    Move on!

4. sensitivegal

sensitivegal Silver IL'ite

Hi dear anika,
    I have read few of your threads I must say some of your opinions and perspective resembles mine.

Friendship mainlyhappes due to three main reasons according to me. Due to proximity, necessity and similar likings and interest. If no three exist.. Friendship bound to die.I will share my own experience.. I have a school friend although she is far we have similar issues to discuss.. Like she has certain MIL issues like me, she likes to travel like me so we are still friends.. One of other child friend although she was close to me before.. Due to distance has forgotten me
    Now your first friend remembers during her rough times and expect you to console her ... It is good thing.. There is saying ib english dont be upset if people remember you only during thier tough times.. Because you are like a candle people remember you during darkness.. But does she also console you? Because friendship cannot be one sided.. And dont let yhe person use you all the time for ur goodness..
    As people above stated.. I too would like to add that.. Give them sometime.. If they miss u , they will call you otherwise just move on. Sometines people are engrossed in thier own problems, they get busier.. It is not that they wanr to hurt you and some ppl dont knw to maintain friendship ties for long time. Dont take it to your heart!!! Stay cool. Good luck

5. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Dear @anika987 .....people change with age and with growing responsibilities, their priorities change according to them. But I do not like this kind of behavior, if you really like a friend, you can easily spend 5 mins to give them a call and check on them. I don't believe people are really so busy that they do not get 5 mins free time in a week.

As sensitivegal mentioned, some people doesn't know how to maintain friendships. They think we can call our friends when we need something.

Engage yourself in some other activities instead of relying on these type of friends.

6. reca

reca Silver IL'ite

Hello anika987,
    I feel exactly the same ! Even I live abroad. I message all the frnds in India as well as some frnds here, wish for festivals, bdays. Some don't even reply! No one bothers to wish me. Always I initiate the conversation. I think most of us feel the same. Nothing to worry about. They might be busy in their own lives thinking you are happy and peaceful far away, enjoying with your hubby. It is as simple as it is. But keep in touch with frnds :)