1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

which is the best ebook reader??

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by lampdeepa, May 10, 2013.

1. lampdeepa

lampdeepa Silver IL'ite

Hi All,
    I was planning to buy an e book reader, but was confused on which is the best e book reader.

I am not a Gadget Geek, even if I browse the net for various options I am unable to conclude which is the best one.

Also I dont have a Wifi connection, so what is the next best alternative, is a wifi conncection absolutely necessary for an ebook reader?

Luv,
    Deepa

2. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

Actually none of the readers absolutely need wi-fi. I have a Nook & also have wi-fi at home, but till date I haven't had to connect the wifi because I always connect the Nook to my lappy and transfer my books. But if you are planning to buy books through your kindle reader, only then you'll need wi-fi connection.

The best Ebook reader available in the Market right now is Kindle Fire HD. Kindle also has a lot of other products at different price range.

If you are using a smartphone/android with big screen, then no need to go for a separate ereader, you can just download Aldiko or kindle software and read on your phone. My hubby frequently reads on his samsung Galaxy S2 and I too read on my HTC Desire SV. If you are using a phone with bigscreen but running on other OS, like blackberry or Bada, you can use albite reader. It will take time to adjust reading on your phone, but so will it in case you are picking up an ereader for the first time.

3 people like this.
  3. lampdeepa

lampdeepa Silver IL'ite

Wow Mohur... thanks for the reply, I have a samsung phone with android but not very big screen...

But you are a super source of information, hats off to you

4. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

Deepa,

Which model are you using? I was previously using samsung wave 533 which had smaller screen comparatively, but I had no problem reading on it.

I would still suggest you too download Aldiko from Google Play and try it out. The apps is free, so no harm in trying it out. Give it 2-3 days, if you feel its too small or you are not too comfortable, I will give you the details of a few options.

I won the Nook in competition, otherwise even though I am a voracious reader, I had no plans of buying a ereader. There are lots of options in the market, but the best ones are above 12k.

5. lampdeepa

lampdeepa Silver IL'ite

Thanks Mohur - I have Samsung Galaxy Y 5360, I have previously loaded few books in pdf and read, it was not bad, but I have never downloaded any ebook reader, I am not sure how different it can be. As you said I will try it out for a few days.

I was browsing the net for other book readers. Yes as you said they are expensive, I was something like Pandigital, which cost around 5 to 6 K, but not sure how good they are to try it out

I am also preparing for a competative exam, so I was thinking an ebook reader might be more useful for better utilization of time:bonk

6. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

Your phone seems to be roughly of the same size as my previous one. So, I guess I feel that its pretty viable.
    So, try Aldiko and let me know how that works out for you.

Also, you should check the format of the books that you are going to read and choose a reader thats most suitable for that format. But then again, there are a lot of converters available.

Kindle is most popular on the basis of its durability and performance and the only drawback is that it supports only .mobi files. You can go with Kindle 53-000026 which is available at Croma retail stores here in India for about INR 3,700

7. lampdeepa

lampdeepa Silver IL'ite

Hi Mohur - As you suggested I downloaded Aldiko on to my Phone and its just awesome I am loving in... Thanks so much

8. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

:) Glad to hear it!