1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where do I belong?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LightOfVictory, Sep 17, 2010.

1. LightOfVictory

LightOfVictory Junior IL'ite

Meena,
    You inspire many of us here. Also, your continuous encouragement gives me courage to boldly blabber my mind's whisperings. If you had visited this thread everyday, that is indeed my privilege.

'Thank you' is all I can say Meena :)

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

hahahaha what a confusion and what a comparison and analysis of what you had to go through and what you learnt!!! It was funny reading your story :)

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

My LoV!

When your post started getting nominations in FP with rave reviews, I wondered what could have moved them so much that they feel so elated and excited about your post. I read and read again to be totally floored by your expressions, quotes, thoughts and the whole composition.

You share your dilemma with many many Indians and I happen to be one of them. Is it not exciting to be from India where there are so many languages,colors and culture and yet we share the same passion and patriotism for Our India?

You have the privilege of mastering (you may wish to add the word 'almost' to it?) one Indian language while loving two of them. Most of us (like your's truly) cannot even boast of that, having schooled in an all English school. (Thanks to Varalotti for sharing my feelings about English, it is also another of our 'National Language', no doubt!). Having grown up with five languages, I do consider myself really lucky for having that opportunity. Because of that, I am able to appreciate and enjoy the music, poetry and prose which are indigenous to each of those languages. I cannot call myself proficient, but at least, it has widened my perspective, surely.

I so understand when you say 'our Telugu' ! I too have 'my Telugu', 'my Tamil', 'my Kannada' and so on. And what did I know, to add on in later years, I also had 'my German'!! Friends and family in Bangalore and Chennai used to compare our family to the Madras-Bangalore Express!! When the train arrived in Bangalore, it was the Madras Express and when it reached Madras, it surely was a Banagalroe Express!!!!! Later on, to make matters worse, my Andhra husband arrived!! When m-i-l asked for a bit of 'panchadara' , my family went amok looking for some exotic ingredient. All we needed to do was fetch some sugar or 'chakkera', as we called it in 'our Telugu'!!!!!!!!!!

Well Lov, only an Indian will understand the language and communication drama that is so unique to our country. Most of us are fortunate to be exposed to more than one language from childhood on and not even wonder about it. What we should all wonder is how a certain LightOfVictory is able to express our language challenges so well in her captivating blog!

Congrats on being nominated for FP, you are used to it by now, I know!

L, Kamla

4. LightOfVictory

Sri,
    I was thinking that I sent a serious message in the post. Didn't I? Was I dreaming? :bonk Just kidding! :)

Thanks for appreciating the subtle humour in it :thumbsup

5. LightOfVictory

Thanks to Ms. True and Varalotti uncle for their support.

I am really glad that you liked it. I had actually written the first part of it in July itself. My husband said it is lengthy and little boring here and there. So I just left. Suddenly decided to change it and finish the rest. He liked it. So here I am. I am addicted and have read it few times myself. I credit it to my better half, my first critic.

Thanks Kamlaji for sharing your experience. I enjoyed reading it. Yes, we are fortunate to have 'unity in diversity' :)

Thank you. ILites are kind enough to encourage me. I am excited to be here.

Thanks again for visiting, with an apt and lengthy reply. :)