1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When Did Things Get Better With Your Il In Your Marriage

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sunshine1970, Jul 27, 2017.

1. sunshine1970

sunshine1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies I wanted to start a new thread-when did things get better with your IL according to you. I know there are a lot of ladies out there where they have not reached this milestone but I thought it would be beneficial to show them that it is possible. I use the term "better" loosely and what I mean is that the relationship that you are happy with and can handle and has got nothing to do with anyone else but your feelings. Was there a catalyst that created this situation, was it evolution of time, or have things always been good. I will start with mine.

I have been married for 16 years and the first 12 were horrible. My DH followed his parents blindly and everything was always my fault and they were innocent. I tried for years to make him see but could not and we also only lived them for the first two years and moved out as we could absolutely not get along.

Catalyst or change that shifted things. My DH wanted three of (my child and me and him) to go live with his parents because they are old and need us. I argued and did not want to go but he was prepared to go alone with out me. I knew based on past that we would not get along but I knew I had to get this sick fairy tale of everyone getting along out of his head. So we moved there and within a few months my DH saw things differently. I consulted a therapist due to the stress of the move and she gave me good advice. She said

1)Don't instigate, live your life , and let things unfold. Don't try to fix things and just be polite and cordial.

I did that and within the year we were kicked out. My DH experienced the wrath first hand and he saw all the evil and ugliness that was spewed at us. MIL could not control her temper and anger and went after our child in front of him and that was the last straw.

We left and now I don't need to worry about IL at all. I don't have to visit, or do anything for them. I only do things that they ask me to do directly. And everything has to go through my DH and I am not to see, visit or talk to them in his absence. His rules. He saw there true face and he follows what is right and now fiercely guards us and finally considers us a unit.

IL can't play with this as he gets very angry and has extreame boundaries and now they are scared to cross.

Main thing is they have not started liking me or think I am great, they just can't get away with anything and have to hide/disguise their hatred for me. My DH says himself they "hate" you.

So ladies what happened in your relationship that helped make things better for you. I had to work on myself and make myself stronger and wiser with therapist then DH had to see their true colours. What worked for you.?

Sandycandy likes this.

2. Benitapaul

Benitapaul Silver IL'ite

Good to know that your DH has understood everything and you are all happy:)

I have been married for only 2 years now and living abroad so never got the chance to live with my IL. I stayed at their place only for few days and never confronted them for whatever they did and instead took everything to my heart.

Since I didn't shared much with my husband about how I felt, we were always on different pages whenever there was an issue. My husband left home after his schooling and always stayed away from family and visited them only on festivals so he didn't had the knowledge of how things would turn in family after marriage and general family politics.

It took me sometime to make him understand what I am going through with all the problems and finally understood everything and my ILs are different and would play their card real nice. My FIL is very straight forward and would talk everything as he wants and my husband never had good rapport with his dad on this but my MIL is very passive aggressive and would like to get to be good on my DH side and as well try to make her point.

It's still going on but my husband understood everything and being my cornerstone to put up with these emotional problems. Only drawback is "We are unable to plan a trip to India afraid of these problems". Still working on that and I miss my parents and siblings so much.

sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP,

Well guess that worked out for you and esp since Dh saw their true colors and you are now free from all the unwanted stress!

You may remember my post about guilting about not being a great Dil and blah blah blah... I have been trying to change things by attempting to talk to ILs & normalize things (don't want them to hate me or anything).. And I must say it was quite hard initially as they did not respond much / did not acknowledge & I would feel disappointed that my efforts are not answered. I almost wanted to give up since it did not make a difference. But recently on a phone call, I jumped in again and both ILs talked nicely to me :banana:I have been happier than ever!! It may not work for everyone & I am not advocating that everyone else shd do it, but I am happy for now, so guess it worked for me.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Sandycandy likes this.
  4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Going to do a happy dance for you , dost ! :cheer: Hope you can get rid of that guilt now !

Naari likes this.
  5. Hansa78

Hansa78 Bronze IL'ite

My story is similar to yours, ever since we got married we stayed abroad and whenever we went to our hometown we were given VIP treatment since they knew we would only stay there for few days. My DH was very affectionate towards his family especially mom and sis. He used to send them money regularly for no reason. Saying that let them enjoy their life, since they were not financially. He was not ready to listen to anything against them. I got fed up and stopped interfering in there matters... It did help me to live in peace.
    But when we relocated back after 9 years....My DH started seeing thier true colours... It went to an extent where he severed ties with his sis on his own, without me having to do anything....
    So i guess sometimes, husbands start defending their family even more when we complain about them.
    Now, I am trying to patch up things with them. I feel extended family is very important, it is only that you should not be taking undue advantage of them and interfere in their personal issues.
    It might take a while, but you just need to hang on and surely things go on well if you are in the right path.
    AKRITII

6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Good thread, and it is always great to share positive experience here.

I've been married for 9 years, and the first 2-3 years were horrible. Particularly year 2 and 3 were the worst of all. since I was in dream land during the first year; I failed to notice anything evil around then.

After the first kid was conceived, MIL behaved horribly. I saw her true face only after that.
    In fact, FIL was insecure and both of them started their master-plans during then. I assume, it was because they realized my H's affection for me after my pregnancy.
    They twisted the things, poisoned my H and turned him against me on the pretext of establishing a better future for him.
    All these times, they would blame my upbringing, my mom - as if she was poisoning me, and other stuff but never blame me directly to H. But they had a different face before me or before the rest of the world.
    So ultimately my H trusted them. He felt that I have misunderstood them or my life style is the problem after marriage.

To cut this sob story short, I've opted for temporary separation, since I could no longer bear this stress. I feared a lot about my newborn than me that time.
    I moved out of the country, and found my freedom. I breathed the fresh air after so long

My H felt lonely; thus reunited with us very soon. He promised to change, and tried to change as a new person this time.
    We completely cut off all the ties with PILs, since I refused to remain married if my life would be further disturbed by PILs.
    So, my H maintained a low profiled solo relationship with PILs in the meantime.
    Long distance helped quit a bit.

However, after 2-3 years, we've moved back to home for good, and settled here. PILs happened to be our neighbors, yet I remained very cold with them.
    My H took sincere efforts to be the bridge here, but nothing worked out. It further strained our relationship.
    I became sick due to the stress and fear associated with PILs and their evils acts, though they remained very diplomatic outside.

That's when I started going for a prayer center, and enrolled to a meditation program there.
    I would cry about my stress during the prayer times, and those pastors would console me by giving hopes from the bible.
    They have asked me to leave everything upto God, and enjoy my life as it comes.
    They have asked me to stop worrying about the past or future, since God definitely has a better plan for me.
    This somewhat changed me.

I've stopped caring about my PILs or their moves since then. I behaved good, and started to forgive them since they behaved good outside.
    I've stopped looking for meanings and reasons behind their acts. Rather, I've accepted them as my PILs - as someone different from my circle; hence stopped expecting anything from them.

We both mended our ways for good, and reciprocated each other. In the mean time, we maintained our boundaries.
    My H was really happy about this, and promised me to stand by my side should evil things ever happen again.
    This time, he has changed to be a responsible man, so I believed him.

Slowly in the coming years, everything has changed positively. PILs started to love their grand-kids dearly. They cared about our well-being, and supported us when we were in need.
    Gradually, they became somewhat dependable relatives; thus we shared a good bond with them.

Still there are hiccups, and dark times when both (me and MIL) gets into each others nerves.
    I am sure, my H hears an earful from both ends during those times. But he manages somehow.

We do not take our problems to the next level. We move on and accept each other as who they are.

Despite of our religious, cultural and ethnic differences, we are doing better.

omnam and shreepriya like this.