1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When a poster turns into a troll and exchanges with him/her turn abusive?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by justanothergirl, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

Re: When a poster turns into a troll?

Sandhya, are you talking about the report post button?

Also, different people have different stand points. What might seem to be a good perspective to me, may not seem the same way to you. So on what basis can you or me use the button? A poster's stubbornness may be right to me, and not be right to you. So I may disagree using the button, while you might agree. This is a very subjective and touchy feature. And there are high chances of posters misusing it, rather than using it the appropriate way. I doubt that will work as a useful system. Nevertheless, worth a try! :thumbsup

2. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Yes. I was talking about the report post button.

As to the points you brought up about using this so far hypothetical button, they are all valid and true points. But, I dont understand how our mutual agreement is paramount to using this hypothetical button properly. Ok, so you and I disagree about a post, so what? We dont have to agree. Okay you like the OP content and dont understand why I used a warning flag. In that case, there is already a like button for you to use no?

Just like right now there is 'like' button and whoever wants to uses it, similarly if there is a warning button, whoever wants to can use it.

3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Hmm..I was looking for something more intuitive and less harder to implement. Every Poster currently has reputation which is built when they give a good response. Posters can add to your reputation by clicking on the * to the left of the reply u posted (next to the flagging). This pops up when u see the user profile and when u hover on the small rectangle next to the user id. A indicator 1-4 with an explanation what it means.

A thread on the other hand can only be positively rated. It is rated with stars .As a poster I can increase the stars but cannot decrease it.

All we need is a button for each new thread created....which u can actually hover on and can point to the comments of users . They are not feed backs but rather comments / ratings of the thread.
    eg
    1- Troll
    2-OP has been through this many times before. Not seeking solution. Venting.
    3-Dubious userid ..could be duplicate..
    we can get creative..this is a pointer...
    To increase the transparancy and make sure all threads are given a fair chance we can even add the userid who made the comment,.atleast visible to the moderator.

4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Very crucial point. I dont think opinions or view points about a thread will converge. What is needed is a place to air all the ratings and preferably the user who rated them as well. No bias. Posters can decide based on these short ratings whether to read the next 10 pages.
    Its more efficient.

Its not that venting should be discouraged. I am an engineer and I like to solve problems and would like to spend my energy with people who are looking for solutions. Its a personal choice and I am pretty sure there are quite a few like that,. What I want is a system that can give me that information..based on history.

How will this help IL?

People esp newbies get sucked into these juicy never ending threads that lead nowhere...with too many cross-postings and bitterness.
    When they look back on the enormous time that has been spent on IL for no good reason...its almost a let down...what use was it all? What difference did it make really? My time would have been better spent else where...That directly leads to a dwindling posters.

5. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Its up to us to respond or not to a particular post. Since this is cyber world we cannot judge if the poster is genuine or not unless the post is too much.
    Sometimes the OP sifts through all the alternatives offered , picks up advise and moves on.
    Some OPs are here for validation only knowing very well that what is to be done. They want sympathy and not advice and feel irritated to be lectured by us.Thats why they keep posting the same problem again and again, they dont want a solution just some kind words to make them feel good and great.
    Maybe IL can start a sympathy forum where people who want only empathy and sympathy can post , as they dont want advice or solution anyhow !! Those of us who are good at sympathising can reply.
    But chasing people all over the forum and gossiping should be discouraged.:rant

7 people like this.
  6. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

I think you have given a great idea, flowerlady. :) It is practical and easy to implement.

7. Tugga

Tugga Silver IL'ite

Dear JAG

It could be the solutions given by the active members were not suitable for the OP to implement, hence she/he comes back with more or less the same problem for further solutions. Here the members those who have already provided solutions and knew that the OP was hesitant to take them, should either refrain from posting it or question the OP as to why their suggestions were not taken.

Here the OP is bound to respond why she did not take their suggestion (either they might not suit to her or she might have expected something else). If the active poster has something else in her/his pocket, then she can give them else she should either leave or silently follow the thread. Simple.

But the pattern here is... The OP posts, and the active posters of that period respond whatever they could... Then the OP comes back and repeat the same problem and say the solutions provided were not suited to her style, hence looking for additional support.. But the same active posters ganged up with some new ones and repeat the same solutions. Many new members dont know what has been already discussed so, they too will go for the so called "Perfect solutions" with the active members. When the OP refused to accept, they immediately become judgmental and criticize the OP for not following them. Its like you must follow my advise, else you must stop posting here.

Basically the posters who come here for solutions are not in a happy mood to welcome any judgmental comments or criticisms against them (though they must be ready to accept anything from a virtual forum) and it is not a place to throw stones at someone who is already suffering. It would have been better if we could offer gems if possible, else make sure that we dont throw stones at anyone who is already wounded.

It is very easy to say that the OP to be ready to receive both stones and Gems as a mixed bag and take what she wants.. That is the truth too... BUT, it it would have been nicer if all of us limited ourselves from throwing stones!!!

8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi JAG,

What you say about repetitive posts about the same problem with endless suggestions all leading nowhere, personal attacks on posters etc are very true.

However, it would totally be against the principles of freedom of expression if IL were to come down heavily and say "sorry, that topic has been discussed before and will not be entertained again" or to say no updates allowed.

Now coming to the question of us wasting time answering threads where the OP is not quite sure what she wants or starts ganging up with others to attack members, it is really upto us to decide whether to post or not. Older members would have the advantage of knowing a member's previous history and could decide for themselves whether to participate in that particular thread or not. But I am not so sure it would be fair for IL to blacklist any particular member or to deprive them of new and possibly different solutions from newer members. While I agree that most people would have similar solutions to offer, it is just possible that there could be a single different one which just MIGHT help the OP.

Anyway, let us wait for more opinions from other members too.

LOL. That is a good one Flowerlady. But how many would admit that they want sympathy?????

9. Tugga

Tugga Silver IL'ite

Dear FL

You are practically right!!!

There are posters who come here just for venting... Venting itself a big medicine for so many emotional problems. There are people who can not vent their personal issues with their friends or relatives, hence they come here. Virtual forums are for them as well. We need to understand them too...

If someone comes here and say, I am here for venting.. I know my problem is big, and I am not here looking for solutions for my "bigger" problems, but I am just venting.. At the same time I need some quick simple remedy for those associated simple problems... Then why you bother to suggest solutions for their so called already discussed "bigger" problem and poke your nose into that mess unnecessarily?

Just give the quick remedy for those associated simple problem and leave it or just refrain from posting it and let those cool hearted people to deal with it.

It is not that YOU NEED TO ADVICE.... You can also provide empathy those who need it...

10. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Hi Satchi,
    I will offer another suggestion, why not a Vent column like a diary where no replies are required !!!
    This will be acceptable to most of us and we can write about our everyday woes right from the absconding maid, curdling milk ,the everyday happenings , and anything we want to vent about. :bangcomp:

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.