1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Whats Wrong With Me?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by star90, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. star90

star90 Senior IL'ite

I think something is wrong with me or my relationship. I feel my life is empty. I think it’s because of my husband or may be its me. My husband talks only about his work to me . He doesnt talk about things happening around us, things in his family, household, about travelling, eating out or future plans.

My husband is not romantic, caring or loving. I dont know if its a rare quality in men. He doesnt care about his health or mine. He doesnt have any friends. He doesnt like to go shopping, its waste of time according to him. Only thing he likes to do is watching movie. We dont have the same taste for movies.

My husband doesn’t care if i go out alone at night. He wants me to do everything on my own. I can do things on my own , I am an independent lady but i prefer not taking risks. We stay alone and I have to manage things from shopping to gas.

He had no hobbies. Before marriage he said he has many and even said hes very talented at painting. I never saw a single painting till now. Most of his friends play football or cricket. He is interested in none.
    He hates reading , though he was advised to improve his vocabulary .

My life is so mechanical. We both work.
    We are like roommates. He is not emotionally available. Are most men like this? What am I doing wrong? Is life just work and money?

2. star90

star90 Senior IL'ite

Thank you sister...
    I discussed with my husband but he feels nothing is lacking.
    We were staying apart for more than a year, even at that time there was no change. I had to remind him to call me . If I call he says hes busy.

I feel there is nothing to cherish. We get to spend 4hours during week days , he will watching tv at that time. During weekend he prefers to sleep or movies again. He hates taking photos if we go out. He hates going out for dinner or shopping.

I am emotionally drained. I feel like I am living alone. Lonely in my marriage.

3. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@star90
    As @citygirl said please be careful when revealing or discussing personal details with strangers. I don't want to scare you but we don't knows who is who so just be cautious. Don't trust anyone just like that.

@Uniqueartist
    Please don't mind about my above statement. I was given general info to her.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, it is natural to feel this way when one deals with a loveless arranged marriage. I am sure you know the difference between men and women. We like happiness of small things. But most men don't understand it and not very good in expressing love. Have you ever conveyed to your dh that you are not happy because of these reasons. If your husband is not able understand it, you have to accept the reality and see what you can do. Request him to do house hold jobs and help you when you need it. You are not his mother or servant. He has to contribute 50 % in all aspects as you are also working. Atleast he has to take care of his own things and help you with kids.

If he is not able to change, you can change the way you handle or respond to the situation. Lower your expectations & take control of your life , accept the situation, and explore what can make you happy. Try to do whatever makes you happy .

I remember going through similar posts in IL forum and here is the link to one of them. I think many women are facing this issue. Hope this one give you some idea on how to handle the situation.

Is arrange marriage loveless?

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    BhumiBabe likes this.
  5. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I don't think there is anything wrong with you , @star90. There's probably nothing particularly wrong with your husband. But your relationship to each other seems very lacking, which explains your loneliness and dissatisfaction.
    Have you tried to spark your marriage by going on dates or planning activities (vacations) together? It might help to have something in common or even pursue a common activity.

Regardless of what your husband does, try to increase positivity in yourself. Find hobbies and interests and grow yourself. Your positivity will rub off on him.

poovai likes this.
  6. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Yes may be but there are many threads who have told openly about their relationship with spouses why not help with your professional knowledge here many could use it too.. since there are many ppl who are just readers and don’t post and going through same issues..

We don’t who who we actually are so..

It’s up to op to decide what to do ..

Uniqueartist likes this.
  7. Socialbee

Socialbee Silver IL'ite

Hi Star90,

I can understand your feelings. Especially when you are in a foreign country with only spouse and no kids. I m assuming you live abroad.
    I have seen men like your husband in my family. They don’t talk very much or rather I would say they don’t know what to talk. Only way to increase interaction with your husband will be to share his interests. Initially start with that and slowly introduce him to the things of your interests. From household responsibility view, I think you both should share equally. Even my husband don’t mind me going alone to store at midnight. Sometimes men are just careless. I don’t see it as a big thing. But I won’t let my daughter go alone out in the night.. :). Try to make more friends at the work and neighborhood. It will help you to socialize more and be less dependent on husband for emotional support. Cheer up, these are small things in the big life.

Uniqueartist and radv like this.
  8. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

The unambiguous answer to your million dollar question is, "yes". Go to the different Threads of this married life section. You will find many women have come here seeking advice for the same question which is boggling your mind.

9. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

You are expecting your DH to do things why not you take the role of planning things and ask your DH to follow your plans, expecting your DH to change will not be a easy task, looks like he is a loner.

10. star90

star90 Senior IL'ite

I am trying to be emotionally independent , but its soo hard.
    Most days I feel sad , angry and depressed..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.