1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What was your biggest culture shock when you started living in us

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Ranchu, Mar 29, 2016.

1. manshreya

manshreya Senior IL'ite

I can relate to the so many instances that have been mentioned.Saying thank you for every little thing ...e.g.holding the door open , I know its good manners but that time it felt like over action.
    I used to feel why would a stranger say hi to me ...and why do I need to answer how do I do.
    Came here after marriage , knowing no one (except DH) or nothing about this country and the culture was little nervous, but I must say friends here are like family...made good friends.

Umanga likes this.
  2. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

The revealing cloths worn by women and girls. And still they were safe, no groping, no eve teasing..
    I was relieved that I could walk wherever and even though men might look at me, but no eve teasing- whistle etc
    One shock was one day in lab, I saw wind ..meaning the swaying branches of trees but heard nothing because of sound proof windows, that was eerie!
    I loved that there was no "pani ka time" meaning in hostel and houses we lived we had a time where we got water.
    I miss the street noise now, sometimes just listen to it on you tube. Liked it that people were professional, even though some of them were not found of grad students.
    One thing is still shocking is how people are not in rush, they will give time and have time, wait their turn.
    There were only one line for both men and women :)
    Write the month first in date, light switch, long day, speed on highways

Umanga, rachaputi, aspha and 4 others like this.
  3. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

First Shock I got was giving right way to walkers at places, stopping for school busses, smiling and greeting(i used to have confused look when I first saw),calling teachers by their name esp by students...

rachaputi, sindmani, Lathasv and 2 others like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I thought whole of USA will look like Manhattan like tall buildings and life will be like how you see in movies..partying,clubbing,wearing whatever you want,rafting,trekking,hiking etc etc etc lol.

Well the above all Sure was there but other than that...

Biggest and best shock is when I learnt "life is best when you are yourself and people are more important than anything else"..

There should be another thread about what you learnt as an NRI in India...

sindmani, aspha and dasikajl like this.
  5. dasikajl

dasikajl Gold IL'ite

School teachers are very very friendly with the kids....
    So friendly that when one of my son's classmate said his classteacher..
    "Are you crazy Ms.B( that is how they call her), daily HW!!"
    The teacher just laughs!!:shocked:
    And yes as many Ilites said wearing whatever they want to.
    They are very adventurous...

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  6. dasikajl

dasikajl Gold IL'ite

School teachers are very very friendly with the kids....
    So friendly that when one of my son's classmate said his classteacher..
    "Are you crazy Ms.B( that is how they call her), daily HW!!"
    The teacher just laughs!!:shocked:
    And yes as many Ilites said wearing whatever they want to.
    They are very adventurous...

anika987 and Vaikuntha like this.
  7. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

for me, it was solitary confinement in the apartment and dealing with just 1 life in a day ( my H), not opening apartment door whole day, not picking phones coming because i did not know what they ask about, at a point start sitting in balcony to find a life on roads or trees or atleast see cars making some noise but no.

Umanga, Vaikuntha and sindmani like this.
  8. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

for me, it was solitary confinement in the apartment and dealing with just 1 life in a day ( my H), not opening apartment door whole day, not picking phones coming because i did not know what they ask about, at a point start sitting in balcony to find a life on roads or trees or atleast see cars making some noise but no.

then how people/mostly guys/wave would smile and I used to think they are flirting/thinking I am single.
    Silence was what I hated. So close to nature that I have started hating it and wanted real humans.
    that 1 yr transition was one year of hell that I would not go through again ;-) Now it is other way for me.

Umanga, Vaikuntha, anika987 and 2 others like this.
  9. ThirumathiJ

ThirumathiJ Silver IL'ite

2 things for me.

1st thing, was shocked to see Americans women crying. They were very emotional, never thought so, after watching some reality shows like Oprah back then. They cry when they first come to know they are pregnant (out of excitement). They cry when their 18 year leaves home for college, etc very emotional, they cry when a guy proposes them.

2nd thing, how fellow Indians become so selfish after coming here. They only talk to you if they want something. Most not all.

Umanga, Vaikuntha, anika987 and 2 others like this.
  10. lovely1234

lovely1234 New IL'ite