1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What u feeding your 1 year olds/toddlers?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by loonypooh, Oct 18, 2010.

1. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

DD turned one, and although i try giving her diff foods, most often cant try too many since she is very picky, i sometimes feel i might be missing out on something. i have been trying to incorporate good proteins in her diet, however she isnt interested in meats so far.... except chicken nuggets/fish fingers. heres wat i usually give her.working full time is one issue, so i try to keep it simple. do share yours

Breakfast

Ragi porridge with banana and 2 oz apple juice
    OR
    Oats with banana and watermelon juice

Lunch:
    She doesnt like rice as much as she likes wheat...so lunch is usually wheat

Dalia pulao
    Dalia khichdi
    Soya rice pulao
    risotto
    palak rice with curd
    dalia with chicken and potato/ or just dalia with potato and herbs
    dalia with dates
    veggie upma

Snacks:
    biscuits/ watermelon/cheese/apple/fish fingers/chicken nuggets

Dinner:
    rice and red lentil vegetable dal
    rice and moong dal with veggies
    upma
    potato chapati
    curd rice

In addition to this she takes 18 oz milk( formula +cows)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

zoey eats pretty well for a 1 year old!! Hats off to you! at that age aadit was still on pureed foods! but I do sympathise ... feeding a 1-2 year old is probably tougher than breastfeeding!

if she likes wheat, you can try parathas - aadit likes paneer parathas with yogurt or methi parathas too with jam. small sized pasta is another option. I also used to parboil sticks of potaoes, carrots, cauliflower etc, then stir fry them in some olive oil as a side item.

3. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

DD is a non-fussy eater (excepting milk) ... but I somehow cannot make her drink juice ...she is ok with fruits (banana, papaya, apple etc ....)
    Any tips on juice?

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

i just keep the sippy with some juice in it
    initially she didnt show much interest, now she does take a little...if not juice give her shakes

5. charmingpooh

charmingpooh Bronze IL'ite

you can give toasted bread/french fries/poha/kheer.

6. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Because I have started working and no help around we are giving her almost everything we are taking. We have modified our cooking to less salt, no chilli etc. Today gave her egg curry and rice. She takes oat porridge for breakfast. lunch/snacks etc are given at the daycare and they look very good.

7. babychinnu

babychinnu Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Today I gave Okra fry to Doyel. She liked it.

I am also giving her Potato curry,carrot and potato curry, beetroot curry, egg and onion soup curry, Omlet, dal mixd with tomato, dal soup, dal with leafy vegetables in her lunch and dinner. I give her curd rice also daily. Planning to include more veggies but waiting for her tiny teeth to grow longer :).

For breakfast, she takes oats with milk, suji upma, idly, biscuits with milk (mostly). Sometimes I make Rice Paayasam with jaggery.

My only concern is no proper fruit diet is happening for her. She hates banana. Apple sometimes she eats. Remaining fruits I dont know what to try as this is winter.

Deepchiran.

8. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

@babychinnu: you can try pumpkin, peach.. (DD loves peach). you can also try making shakes or smoothies (if your baby likes curd) with the fruits

@sumanr: try making smoothies (mix fruits with curd. add sugar if necessary)

@loonypooh: thanks for starting this thread. might need tips from here in a while :)
    if your DD likes wheat you can try the following:

Wheat sheera - take ghee and roast chapati flour in it. add some milk/water and jaggery syrup till wheat leaves the sides of the pan

Wheat Raabh - this is cooked in most gujarati households. can be made sweet or salty. make the same way as wheat sheera except, add less flour and more liquid to get consistency of a thick soup. For sweetness, jaggery can be added. For salty version, add chhaas (water+curd mixture) instead of jaggery +water/milk. Also, add ajwain in the sweeter version and cumin seeds in the salty version for a better taste.

Methi thepla - add methi, ginger, green chilli, garlic, salt, oil, turmeric while kneading chapati flour and roast on pan like regular parathas

9. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I need some tips for giving lunch/breakfast recipes to be given in daycare. I too work full-time so need simple and quick recipes because I have to give food for 2 courses (breakfast and lunch). Cannot give chapati because they do not know to mash chapati and mix with dal or veggie. DD needs something new every other day :drowning so m running short of ideas here.
    Egg recipes are okay because I am a eggetarian.

10. ranjoose

ranjoose Bronze IL'ite

Tarun turned 1 on 26 Oct. His schedule:
    Morning 6 30- 6 oz cow's milk

Breakfast- 8 30 am- Ragi porridge with milk/Oatmeal milk with mashed fruits/cheerios in milk/toast(with ghee)/cheese omelette/2 idli/dosa(with moong dhal sambar without spice or milk or yogurt.

11 30 am- Snack- cereal bar/biscuit in milk/banana

Lunch- 1:30- Rice+dhal+mix veggies
    I alternate with moong dhal and thoor dhal and each day a mixture of 2 veggies. I have started giving him sambar and rasam (mix a little with his food). Or kichidi or pulav.
    Sips of water in between.

5:00- Snack Milk from sippy cup +a slice of cheese/mac n cheese/banana

7:30 dinner- pasta/idli/dosa/chapathi soaked in dhal or milk

10:30 milk from bottle-about 4 oz.