1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What time does your toddler sleep?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by DGcreative, Jul 31, 2013.

1. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

My DS is 3.3 yrs & a very light sleeper since birth. So when he was an infant he would sleep on an average 4-5 hrs during the day.

I bfed him till he was 1.5yrs & then till 2 yrs he was used to bottle at night. It was only after he was 2.5 yrs that he started sleeping through the night.

Now his routine is as below:

Gets up at 9-9.30 am
    comes back to creshe from school at 1.45pm
    generally sleeps by 2.15-2.30
    gets up by 3.30-4pm

Now heres the catch. Most times creshe people say he barely sleeps during noon. sometimes sleeps just when other kids get up.

At night after I finish my kitchen work, generally I try to make him sleep by 10.30. & most days he sleeps only by 11.30-11.45pm. It is really tough for me to sleep that late & then wake up in morning. What should I do to make him sleep early.

I tried waking him early but he keeps crying then. So probably his body clock is set for 11.30 to 9.30 I guess....

How do I change his sleep patterns? Any particular foods to give/avoid to make him sleep better? Any activity like running or something so he gets tired & sleeps?

I am really looking forward to some suggestions to make him sleep better so that I can catch up on my sleep.

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Hi there

I see your son wakes up pretty late.what time does he leave for creche??
    Now the change in sleep pattern wont happen overnight.
    You will have to shift it little by little.
    On the first day try putting him to sleep 15mins earlier.And then slowly increase the time.
    Now because you are shifting the sleeping time you will have to change his other schedules too....like giving him food 15mins earlier.
    You might see him yawning earlier too.
    The sleep patters might go for a six on weekends.For the first few months try putting your son early to bed during the weekends too.

I dont think theres any food that can help but yes activities are the trick.
    But with my son even activities used to not work.He used to just doze off playing on the couch.
    And i used to feel really bad to see him like that.They do get tired when they return from creche.But if your son sleeps while he's in creche then dont put him to sleep when hes back home.This way your child might go to sleep as early as 7:30pm.

I used to switch on the TV for sometime when my son used to feel sleepy in the afternoons.TV used to keep him awake.Then when his sleep was gone we used to play.Then by 7-7:30 pm dinner.8-8:30pm he used to be sleeping.
    But there were times when he used to not fall asleep early.My husband used to be really wild at me.Hubby liked to sleep early and my son would not let him sleep early.And frankly speaking i think it was effecting "our"time together.
    So it was a must to put my son to bed early.

4 people like this.
  3. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

Hi Dg
    I too agree with Dinny . Try waking him up early . What are his school timings ? . If he has slept in crèche don't make him sleep again . Infact engage him to be active and put him to sleep early .
    If he has had an hours sleep tOo at the Crèche it's enough to pull along till late evening .. May be at around 6 you could take him to the park make him run, play .. This will tire him and you can expect him to sleep early as early as 8 or So latest 9.30 . I used to follow a routine for a about a month or two .. Even on weekends till the timetable set in .Now my kids are bang on with our timetable . :)
    . Though now on weekends we end up getting late .. So I try avoid their afternoon nap if at all just 1/2 hour to prevent cranky beh later
    .. I engage in play or take them down out to a grocery store to while away .to prevent them from feeling sleepy .
    I don't mind shelling 3 dhs for a chocolate to prevent them from sleeping in the noon which ensures they sleep early in the night .
    Ramya

In my cAse my weekends get bugged

1 person likes this.
  4. DGcreative

Thanks Ramya & Dinny for your replies.

But I guess you are underestimating my son's staying awake capacity.:hide:

Also as I mentioned he barely sleeps in the day at creshe....most times creshe people say he didnt sleep. & neither I try to make him sleep after coming from creshe nor he will sleep even if i try to.

We do go to park (except these rainy days now) & many times he is really tired but will keep straining his eyes & keep himself awake.

Till date there are only a handful of occasions where he has slept by himself. (I can actually count those occasions)

And regarding trying to wake him earlier, he keeps crying for silliest reasons if his sleep is not complete. It adds to the morning chaos. May be I'll try to wake him earlier consistently till he get used to.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Oops then hes just like my nephew.My Bhabhi is having a tough time handling him....so i will also wait for some expert advices to pour in now.

6. DGcreative

Oh no Dinny plz dont say that...I am already dozing at work during noon coz of lack of sleep. I really need some practical solution for my sons sleep. I dont want him to be a night wanderer. (he used to actually walk in the room at night instead of trying to sleep)

7. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

DG
    Do you talk to your child when he wakes up?
    If he wakes up and tries talking to you then i say keep your conversation short and boring but dont forget to reassure that everything's ok.And put him back to bed.

Try this link
    Sleep and Your 1- to 2-Year-Old

1 person likes this.
  8. hotchillipepper

hotchillipepper Gold IL'ite

i have slightly different issues and hope some help in my case as well. My DD's nap times are Super long (2-3 hrs!) this slips into her night time and i cant force her to sleep when she's woken up just 3 hrs ago in evening! i have not yet done anything to change her sleeping patterns yet( we have been traveling like crazies and routines of different places are different). She discovered her long naps only last month. prior to that she would nap for 1-1.5 hrs and then it would be easy to put her to sleep in night. i dont have the heart to wake her up when she is asleep (she looks like and angel and i am enjoying free time or am myself napping:confused2:!) When she is not sleepy and i am i just put some rhymes(i know this is not good idea and i am working on a switch:hide:) in laptop and pretend that i've slept off, she tries to wake me up but gets bored easily and within half hour she sleeps. sometime i also fall asleep before her. we'll be traveling again soon and it will take a month or two for us to get back to our life and our routine. then hopefully i'll improve both of us.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

DG, the only way his nap would shift before 2:30 is when he wakes up at 7:30. First day you wake him up 30 mins early. he is going to fuss and cry but remember its for the greater good. next year he will start pre-school, so, the sooner you change him now, the better it is for everyone involved.

If I were you, I would try going cold turkey and wake him 1 hour before. He is going to fuss and cry, thats a given. Dont fret. remember, its for a greater good. After one week, shift the timing to waking him at 7:30.
    Try doing this...

slowly, his nap time will shift from 2:30 to 12:30-1...or so I hope.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I think its better you start any training after you settle down a bit. It will only confuse her if you try anything now, only to change in a few days.

1 person likes this.