1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Stands Between Us And God?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Dec 22, 2017.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

What stands between us and God?

Technically speaking there is nothing that stands between us and God that is visible to naked eyes. But then God Himself is not visible. So even if something is standing between us and God, it cannot be seen. It can only be felt.

For some of us who are atheists and do not believe in the existence of God but enjoy every festival that is celebrated in His name, be it Christmas, Eid or Dipawali. All enjoy the gifts, decorations, family get together etc. This at least proves that there was a Jesus, a Mohammed and a Rama. We would possibly be not celebrating these festivals or may be celebrating by any other name.

Having said that why don't we feel Him? What stands between us? To understand this we will have to go back and read again why God has to take birth. Gita says He takes birth to eradicate Adharma on earth. So does the Bible and Koran. It is also possible that people of those times had lost all hopes of freedom from oppression, exploitation and hatred and there appeared a man who freed them from the perpatuators of these sins. He lead a very ideal life and thus became a role model for all. He was called Maryada Purushottam Rama- an ideal son, ideal brother, ideal husband, ideal ruler and ideal human being.

No wonder Mahaveera in Jainism and Guru Nanak in Sikhism are worshipped as Gods. It is rather difficult if not impossible to be an ideal human being in today's times because knowingly or unknowingly we are immersed in various types of sins and do not feel and believe in the existence of God.

What stands between us and God? The answer is - our sins.

2. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Well I think its our ego.

We have attachments to family, wealth, our own gorgeous physical bodies.

Universe was here before humans existed, Universe will be here after humans cease to exist.

And in several billion years the Universe will shrink and implode.

Then there will be period of darkest before next BIG BANG.

One Brahmin day is existence, manifestation of Universe.

One Brahmin night is non-existence, non-manifestation of Universe.

Anyone who truly knows and feels this will be kind and loving to all - and may be worshipped as God even though he or she is ordinary person.

nakshatra1 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  3. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Ego says its me. There is god inside us is taken as I am the god. Everyone is so inspired by this me. That person doing this in that condition but I would have handle it better like this. No one in this world is better than me. We can't see the world out of this me. If someone will say I can see beyond me then its also a me in it.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

God is within us. We and God cannot be separated.As per advaitha Siddhantha,( non-duality) There is one ultimate super Universal consciousness that is represented by all the human beings and all creations.We are just like reflections of sun in various pots.
    Therefore nothing stands between God and man since both are one and the same.

Jayasala42

nakshatra1 likes this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    Seeing all the injustice in the world or around us, innocent people killed and many other things create a doubt of existence of God. That creates the barrier. Rebirth, past Janma, karma.....not sure if they exist. Then why do we pray daily? It is a ritual and habit and still little faith is there.
    Syamala

6. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

We pray to feel the god within us. As air is everywhere but we need fan to feel likewise god is everywhere we pray to feel. Everything positive or negative going around in the world is not new. The world was always like that. Due to social media the negative is highlighted more than the positive which is the reason behind the changing of thinking process of everyone.

Mistt and HariLakhera like this.
  7. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

True .....There is inherent divinity of man.. the universal consciousness. The only thing standing between is realization. Once man realises that he is one with everything in the universe, violence no longer exists.

HariLakhera likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hari,

You raised a very important question that has been traditionally asked by most seekers in order to make spiritual progress. Like Smt. Jayasala said, Adwaita Vedanta says it is the duality that prevents us from realizing who we really are. Some Gurus have suggested that we are divine beings having human experience and not human being having divine experience.

According to the Adwaita Vedanta, the pure untainted soul is part of the whole and when it comes in a frame consist of body, mind and intellect, the tools called BMI perform actions. These actions (both good and bad) create encryption that binds or releases the soul from the world. Until this encryption remain, the soul keeps coming back again and again. However, the feeling to liberate is embedded forever and every soul will eventually liberate from the binding to life.

Once Adi Shankara walked through a village and parents who walked with a little girl on the opposite direction knowing about Adi Shankara sought blessings for the girl stating she was indifferent to the world and always didn't look into the eyes of people when she talked. Adi Shankara asked, "Who are your parents? Where are you from?" The child looked up in the sky and answered, "I am not this Sareera. I don't belong here. I am Chaithanya Swarupa."

Our life is gifted to us for our own transformation to release ourselves from the bondage and to withdraw from our desires and attachments, to achieve equanimity, to become a trustee of all we possess and become a mere observer of the Maya that unfolds right in front of us.

This is just what I have learned from the teachings of the learned people. We need to go through three steps to realize our goal of becoming who we really are. Three paths of Yoga known as Karma Yoga, Bhakti Yoga and Gnana Yoga are all suggesting these three steps known as Uparati (withdrawal), Dharana (Concentration) and Dhyana (Meditation) in order to achieve Samadhi (Realization).

I am yours (Purifying in duality)

Recognize and remove bad qualities
    Stay connected with the Lord
    Appreciate grace and pray for more

You are mine (Seeking non-duality)

Be possessive of the Lord
    Listen in silence
    Claim the Lord's qualities

You and I are one (Achieving non-duality)

Seek Truth (Being)
    Be Aware
    Achieve Bliss

Sat Chit Ananda is the final step for realization.

There are only four ways to learn something and they are known as Pratyaksha (Direct Perception), Anumana (Inference), Upamana (Comparison) and Agama (Tradition).

I ran out of nomination as otherwise, I would have nominated this post of yours posing the very same question most of us have in our spiritual progress. Let me stop here so that this response doesn't become too difficult to read.

Viswa

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  9. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@HariLakhera

Wow! Your questions have brought so many spiritualists and philosophers together. I am agreeing with all of you and loving every bit of this discussion. Thrice I tried to write something, but abandoned. Let me use this as an opportunity to learn something new or simply refresh the mind. Thanks.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and understanding so lucidly..