1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Movie did you Watch Today????????

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Victoryman, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Ok, don't kick me Ranch but I loved that movie a lot. Had it not been for the disappointing climax, I would have rated this film as the most honest, trendsetting film of our time.

I felt that originally the movie was meant to be all about Arjun Reddy- the rash, impulsive, honest to the point of being undiplomatic & rude, mad medical genius. It was about who he was, how he turned from a impulsive person to an intense lover, how the love failure affected him, how he then turned into an alcoholic and drug addict and how certain incidents and circumstances made him to turn into a new leaf. Until the climax happened, every single scene in the film, every single character he meets and interacted with, shows us a glimpse of what Arjun Reddy is all about and like Preethi, we too were falling in love with him, slowly yet surely.

So when the climax happened and we suddenly get to hear Preethi's point of view for the first time, it's like a blow to everything that made Arjun Reddy as we knew him to be. Suddenly, his attitude, his intense love, his passion for medicine, his arrogance, his self confidence, his love failure, his heartbreak, his pain and suffering, his madness, his consciences, and everything else that made him Arjun Reddy, didn't matter. And just like that Arjun Reddy didn't matter. Only Arjun-Preethi's love story and that they had a fairy tale ending mattered.

To me, that was the most disappointing factor. It's as if the director had wanted to show a mind-blowing, trendsetting film only to grow cold feet at the end and change the scenes to make it seem like a love story that can be accepted by one and all. That's really a pity. Because had it not been for the climax, the film would have to created a huge impact as DevD had created in Hindi.

However, having said that, the movie still created an impact on me. Somewhere I now have confidence that South Indian films are daring to go to places where they are unwilling to even think about earlier. And that to me is a refreshing and welcoming trend. So yes, despite the compromises that the director did at the end, I still have high regards on this film. Definitely deserving to be among one of the best film produced in India in 2017.

puni88 and ILoveTulips like this.
  2. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

I felt that the 6 hours' time was only given due to his anger. We may recall that on earlier occasion, he always had Siva or Preethi or even his grandmother (Kanchana is so amazing that I wish she was my grandmother too) to calm him down whenever he had his outbursts. But when he gave that 6 hours' time to her, he didn't have that one person who could and should have calmed him down. He walks straight to his brother's party and starts drinking. The brother asks him how was things, to which Arjun merely says, everything is so wrong. Had his brother pried more out of Arjun, he would have been able to assess the situation and calm Arjun and tell him just how ridiculous the 6 hours' timeline was. But the brother didn't pry him about the situation. Instead, he just told Arjun to drink it up and leaves him, leading him to take drugs and go into coma.

Again, the 6 hours' timeline was not what angered Preethi. Like us, she didn't think Arjun was serious about the 6 hours' thingy. Her anger was more because he didn't come out of his room to see her, and even more so when he didn't stop the wedding and take her away, like how she had expected him to do. That is why she didn't bother looking at him when he burst into her house 2 days later. That's what she said to him at the end, "you came 2 days later, after everything was over!".

And ILT, I don't think she meant to say that she didn't have inclination to see him after finding out she was pregnant. Somewhere down the lane, I felt she was hoping that despite everything that had happened, he wouldn't give up on them, that he would come back and rescue her just like how he 'rescued' her after the holi incident, and again when she injured herself on the broken glass. Because that's the Arjun Reddy she knew. He thinks of her best interest more than anyone else. So it was probably shocking for her when he never came after the second time around (when he ended up at the police station). In fact, she said there were many times she wanted to come and see him after finding out that she was pregnant but when she got to know that he was wallowing himself in drinks & drugs and worse still, when she read he was going out with an actress, she knew there was no future for them. That's when she decided to just live for the baby.

Regarding being the best surgeon, I think that was established in the first scene itself. The dean of the college says that Arjun is the college topper and an amazing surgeon or something to that effect. And later on, they actually show him doing countless surgeries...to him, surgery was his mean of escapism and he was doing his best cases when he was drunk compared to when he was sober...and the hospital condoned it as well. Which is what his lawyer was trying to use as their defence, that there was mismanagement in the hospital itself to the extent that they were taking advantage of Arjun and allowing Arjun to do all the surgeries. In fact, the last surgery was not even of Arjun's patient. The head nurse called Arjun because there wasn't any other surgeons around, which again was a proof that the hospital was mismanaged. So it wasn't as if Arjun suddenly became the best surgeon in a short span of time. Rather he was using it as an escapism and the hospital was taking advantage of him on that.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    puni88, ILoveTulips and Mistt like this.
  3. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@Sofea
    WOW! What a great analysis ! Reviews are nothing in front of your analysis..:clap2:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    puni88, ILoveTulips and Sofea like this.
  4. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Awww! Thank you so much Misty! That's really kind of you to say that!:relaxed::relaxed: But certain films do make us wanna look at it at a different angle and analyse the reasons why certain characters are etched in a particular manner. Arjun Reddy is one such film for me:grin::grin:

ILoveTulips and Mistt like this.
  5. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Agree with you. I don't know I liked that movie but it was different one and i felt interesting while watching. It was a bold movie and I discussed with my friend many times on Arjun Reddy attitude, story line but I never got analysis like you. :)

ILoveTulips likes this.
  6. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Fidaa - tender love story. Liked it.

7. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Sof, you really are not a regular movie watcher, even the director would be so proud to see how immersed you were with the story, and he would be so happy that someone understood the point he tried to convey. I did like Arjun Reddy, but after reading your review it's kindling my interest to watch it again, and this time through your words. I am sure many scenes will make so much sense now. Its always a pleasure to read your review, and I enjoyed this one too... :)

Ranchu, Sofea and Mistt like this.
  8. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Awww...thank you so much darling!! :relaxed::kissingclosed::kissingclosed: *flying high in the air*:angel::banana::banana:

ILoveTulips likes this.
  9. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

what are the movies premiering for Pongal ?
    Dheeran on Vijaytv

10. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Watched Aahaa - telugu remake of same Aahaa from Tamil . Good one.