What is the "contract" you want from your employer?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by akalya, Jan 10, 2008.

1. akalya

akalya Junior IL'ite

Dear Friends,

Some time ago, I read in a book about the explicit social contract that Apple has with its employees. I assume this is mentioned in Apple's employee manual or code of conduct or welcome kit or something. However, I was intrigued about the "explicit" nature of Apple's approach.

"Here's the deal Apple will give you. Here's what we want from you. We're going to give you a really neat trip while you're here. We're going to teach you stuff you couldn't learn anywhere else. In return..we expect you to work like hell, buy the vision as long as you're here...We're not interested in employing you for a lifetime, but that's not the way we are thinking about this. It's a good opportunity for both of us that is probably finite."

That brings me to the interesting question that I wanted to ask you all. What do you expect from your employer? Do you expect a stable job for a long period i.e. no constant re-orgs, no threats of layoff etc (lifetime employment is out of question off course) or do you expect a enjoyable job for a short span of time?

2. suma21

suma21 New IL'ite

Hi Akalya,

Well ,earlier before i became Mom, i was expecting challenging job for a short span of time but, now with kid & work, prefer stable job for Perfect Life-Work Balance.My highest Priority is my Family then comes Career.

Cheers
    Suma

3. Rashmita

Rashmita New IL'ite

That's a very good question... However, I think it depends on your age and career level.

For now, personally, I'm expecting a work place where I have what to learn from... To be surrounded by people with plenty of experience that could teach me well in my future career. I want a competitive job , that would make me feel like i'm evolving each and every day I'm working there. So perhaps Apple would be a lovely place for me to work at :D

I always ran away from stable jobs, with a boring schedule... I want new and exciting stuff, somewhere I wouldn't ever get bored. I'm not sure if this will remain my choice in the next 10-20 years, but right now...

4. sreechandra

sreechandra New IL'ite

I think it depends on our age and also the responsibilities that we have towards our family. Upto the age of 27-30, we can move from one job to other expecting an enjoyable and competitive job. But when responsibility comes, where we have to fulfill the needs of our family members, we are forced to accept a job, which is not even stable or enjoyable. I always expect a stable job because I am the only earning member in the family. The purpose of my working is to look after my family. When a job becomes necessity, we cannot run to and fro looking for an enjoyable job, but for a stable job.

My views are only from personal experience.

5. urgita

urgita New IL'ite

hi freinds,
    My views about a work life balance is.
    when I was young and unmarried I would always look for challenging assignment and always wanted to prove a very good employee so that my appraisals were always good and get a good increments. After almost 10 years of working I took a break to look after kids & family. Of course it had been a depressing period when you see your peers jumping up ladder in career and you just doing nothing according to them. But we need to understand in case we chose a career as priority and leaving kids with maids/creche then I feel my kids career might be in doldrums. (it is subjective view). because we are not building a good foundation for our kids.
    However one can look for a flexi time option for which I want to approach some of the companies to offer jobs to mid career woman because they may have some free time when their kids start going to school.
    Currently I am working for a firm from 10 am to 3 pm in bangalorewhich is the time when I am free.

so anybody who would like to team up with me to meet and approach companies to introduce in their HR policy for flexi time option

with regards
    urgita

6. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

That's an interesting topic Akalya. My expectations are flexible timing( I start work before 7 am ), challange and appreciation in that order. How about you???

-Gayathri.