1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What is heaven and what is hell

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Jun 28, 2014.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

WHAT IS HEAVEN AND WHAT IS HELL. ?
    About a fortnight back a friend of mine from Delhi telephoned me and said Hi.Before I could reciprocate he said life in Delhi was hell with temperature soaring to 48.C and powercuts ranging from 6-8 hrs per day.How did you manage? I asked him.He said that he escaped to Kullu Manali for a week.How was it there I querried.Oh-it was heaven he sighed an indication that he had to come back to hell.An uninitiated person would imagine that this friend is fairly familiar with hell and heaven.At the same time if the Sahara chief who is languishing in Tihar jail is permitted by court to be kept under house arrest the same Delhi will be heaven compared to the Tihar hell.I f temperature and climate differentiate hell from heaven Chennai people including your humble self are in hell most of the time.
    Recently a medical college girl committed suicide and in her note she mentioned her senior by name and said that she made life hell for her in the hostel.We now bstories of Mil and sil creating hell at home and colleagues at office.Does it mean that these trouble makers are inhabitants of hell who have descended on the earth to trouble others.
    Geethas daughter[8]drank a whole bottle of cold water and vomited all over the house.Geetha was terrified and with a bucket,mop and mug started attending to the damage.Just then her husband telephoned and asked how is the chellakutti [ a word of endearment].Geetha flared up .”’Hell has been let loose in the house by your daughter -all because you pamper her and call her a heavenly child in her presence”. Later in the evening,Geetha however loses her heart when the child hugs her and says that” you are sweetest mummy”.
    Raman’s son compels his father to join the family on their holiday to Switzerland.Raman[80] is not atall enthusiastic.He says “I can as well go to puttaparthi and stay in our flat for fifteen days “His son does not agree and almost drags him on this trip.When they return after a fortnight I meet Ramans son who says that it was heaven and he didn’t feel like leaving the place.Raman is not to be seen for the next two days.I go to his house and meet him.Raman looks worn out andsays that he went through hell in his trip.He felt very cold and was breathless even after taking a few steps”.Never will I change my decision to satisfy my children he mumbled amidst a bout of cough”.There seems to be a clear cut demarcation of hell and heaven between different age groups.
    Many senior couples are excited when they are called to US for assistance in maternity cases.They come back and tell us how disciplined and how prosperous the country is.However next time they are called there is hesitation and argument as to who should go-from the boys side or girls side.I ask one such couple who had described US as heavenand why the hesitation?The lady whispers you can go once and somehow manage all the restrictions-Not any more.I cant wash my legs after using the washroom.cant garnish the curry,fear of smoke alarm going up –my God it is hell.I am surprised how heaven has become hell with one trip.
    From the above it can be understood that no one is clear about what is heaven and what is hell.I vividly remember my grandma’s description when I was around five-She said that hell is a difficult place with food only once a day,hardwork like breaking stones,extracting oil from seeds and severe punishment like like rubbing salt on the wound,pouring boiling oil on the head etc.On the other hand heaven is a place where Mahavishnu lives and the place is beautiful with gardens,music,dance etc,With this in mind I googled to read the description of heaven as per Hindu system and this is how it reads;

“The ultimate destination for souls who have achieved moksha, or “salvation,” Vaikuntha is the highest of heavens in Hinduism and is said to be the place where Vishnu, the supreme god, resides. Upon arrival, the souls are granted love and fellowship with Vishnu, which lasts for eternity. Everyone in Vaikuntha is beautiful and young, especially the women, who are compared to Lakshmi, the Hindu goddess of fortune. Animals and plants are infinitely better than their real-world counterparts, and the denizens of Vaikuntha fly in airplanes, made out of lapis lazuli, emerald, and gold. In addition, the forests have wish-giving trees, specially designed for the inhabitants. Again, men would receive wives and consorts as they please[obviously planted by men]”
    Being a positive person I did not google Hell and I am sure it is not agood place to live.Some one said hard work does not kill anybody but still I don’t want to take a chance.Le t me therefore not take a chance and do what is good in whatever time is still left to ensure a happy living in Vaikontam thereafter

10 people like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear LN Sir,

There is a story about heaven and hell. Once a person was granted an option to choose heaven or hell after visiting each one. First he decided to visit hell. He saw lush green landscape with all his friends having fun playing golf with nice food and drink around. When he visited heaven, he found no known person and everyone was working too hard with sweat. He opted hell as he had more friends there. When he left for hell, he found the very same friends were starving and picking food from the roadside. All lush green landscape became dry with no water found anywhere.

The lesson he learned was living in maya is hell and realizing truth and do our duty with sincerity is heaven just like in earth.

viswa

5 people like this.
  3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    Living in Maya is certainly hell.ultimately it is ones own perception of his life.A very richman being always gloomy and another on day to day existence being cheerful ars clear examples.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sir,
    Yes, it is the perception and attitude towards life makes it hell or heaven.
    Yes, you are absolutely right...one person's heaven can be hell to some other. Hyderabad, where I live may be not so clean, traffic jams, crowded,pollution, noisy is heaven to me but for a visitor from another country may feel it like hell. In spite of all the scenic beauty, many facilities staying abroad for longer times is suffocating to me. It is all in perception.
    Syamala

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

True, LN Sir :) what is one Man's idea of heaven may indeed be hell for another person.And I am also amused by the loose use of these words...as if we know what is hell and heaven :)

6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shyamala,
    I ca also certify that Hyderabad is heaven,having spent eight years of my precious middle age there.With lovely rice,vegetables from konaseema and a variety of fruits all through the year make this a wonderful place for a middle class family.A cosmopolitan outlook and a welcome approach to people from different states make this a special place.However a visit in summer or during communal clashes may classify this city as something else.Perception matters most.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mindian,
    You are right.The words are loosely bandied about and need not be taken seriously.Very often the words are interchangeable depending on ones perception and comfort level.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

8. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

LN sir
    really never thought that the analogy of heaven and hell could be so interesting. clearly as pointed out by you these are just perceptions and interpretations of our fertile imagination.
    but even then I love to think that heaven is the Ultimate place in the universe where everything is beautiful.. all are happy..no greed and desires a place where one can be at peace with oneself.. about hell well I really don't know!!!
    hope you are keeping well
    Kerman

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear LN,
    As there is a saying "One man's food is another man's poison," in the same way one man's hell is another man's heaven.
    Even the same place also becomes heaven once and another time hell to the same person. It all depends on the perception and the situation.
    Interesting write up on hell and heaven.
    PS

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I echo PS's words - one man's food is another man's poison - indeed!

Now your description of hell where one eats only one meal a day, has to work hard etc. is very interesting. Going by that many of us are already in hell - imposed on us by society, economics or simply because all the food we have already consumed during out life time so far needs to be worked out. In that case, especially the last one, I don't imagine hell is so bad after all. :-D It certainly helps us shed all that excess karma accumulated around our bodies!

The good news seems to be that hell and heaven are not really so different from each other. So why worry at all? Just get about the business of living.

Very interesting thoughts LN sir. Enjoyed reading.

2 people like this.