1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

what griddle do you use for making dosa???

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by nitjoe, Jul 8, 2009.

1. nitjoe

nitjoe New IL'ite

Hi IL's

I bought a non-stick pan(Premier brand) from india.Now on the outer circumference it has become so very rough.also i am not able to make a big dosa.even if i try to, it sticks to the pan.i am in search of a nice big griddle or pan for the same but i am not sure about the brand here in US.can you suggest me some good brands and in what shops can i get those? thanks a ton in advance:)

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Nitjoe:
    You might check out this pan which I got some years ago. Dosa making friends of mine were eyeing it when at my house. The back says it is: Steel Circulon Ti Hi-Low Food Release System. The outside diameter is 14 in and the inside cooking surface is 12 in.

Attached Files:

anika987 likes this.
  3. nitjoe

nitjoe New IL'ite

Hi tashidelek2002

thank you so much for the reply.pan looks awesome and different with handles on both the sides.can you tell me from which shop you purchased it??

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

5. AnithaSrinivas

AnithaSrinivas New IL'ite

6. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

its better to use different non-stick pans for chappatis and dosas..also before starting to prepare dosas, try the foll procedure:-

1. heat the griddle
    2. spread some oil on the griddle
    3. after it is little hot, sprinkle 4 -5 drops of water on the griddle and spread it evenly...

then start pouring the batter..the 1st dosa might not be perfect but later ones would not stick to the pan...try it...

1 person likes this.
  7. nitjoe

nitjoe New IL'ite

thanks you so much roopa and anitha.I am right now looking out for sale in kohls so that i can buy that griddle..one more thing..just like non stick pans in india after a year of usage or so are these pans still nice?? just curious

8. geetha mahesh

geetha mahesh Bronze IL'ite

I bought my dosa tava or griddle and have been using it every week three days from the last two years.I even put it in the dish washer at times.It is Premier brand.It has been good till now.

9. nitjoe

nitjoe New IL'ite

hey i use the griddle for all 7 days in a week..mine got spoilt soon because i use the same for dosa,roti,adai. i shall try using a seperate one for dosa and one for rotis..that should go well:)

10. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

I have been using Lodge Logic cast iron griddle for dosai, adai etc for past 2 years.

Amazon.com: Lodge Logic Pre-Seasoned 10-1/2-Inch Round Griddle: Sports & Outdoors

Its extremely good, but you should not use them in dishwasher. Just wash by water, dry it and apply some oil and store it. Day by day with use, cast iron gets a stick resistant coat.

For rotis and parathas I use wrought iron tawa (from India). You can find this in local Indian stores for about $10 - $15

-Uma

1 person likes this.