1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What are important things to remember before moving to a new house?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by poonamgav, Mar 4, 2010.

1. poonamgav

poonamgav New IL'ite

Hello Friends,

Me and my family are moving in 1 months. Are there any tips to remember before moving? Should I pack up now or later? And things like that. What not to do to avoid forgetting things.
    Thanks in advance....

Regards,
    Poonam

2. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Poonam,

Though if you start now, for one or other things you need again to unpack the box, better start 2weeks before.

First pack things without which you will not be effected much on daily basis,like dinning sets, etc.,

Before one week keep dresses which you need for 1 week, pack remaining sets in suitcase, same as this pack all the provision which is in storage.

And mainly plan the menu, stock only that vegetables in Fridge, try to make mixedrice or eatouts on last days, so that you can adjust without buying veggies...

Sit and plan one week things, only those things let stay , remaining others things just start pack before 1 week.

Last not least, before leaving make sure you submit change of address form to postoffice, inform internet service(tell them clearly from which date you want them to disconnect and continue at new place/ disconnect the service completely).

Once you go to new place, make sure you inform your address change to USCIS and DMV department, veryvery important Insurace and Creditcard too.

I think i covered almost, lets wait for others reply...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Poonam

Are you moving to a house? If yes, I am saying this from my personal experience! Please first of all sort out things that you want to keep and stuff you don't want and just discard stuff that you don't want to keep. It becomes so much easier to pack things after that.

When we moved, I packed all the fragile stuff, like fancy dinnerware and things that were breakable in bubble wrap and put them in boxes. Books were another thing that I packed way before because we were anyway not reading all of them everyday. Also, try not to buy too much grocery during this time which might get left over.

It is good that you are planning well in advance, I did most of the packing in the last moment that left me with no time to sort out and throw the stuff we did not need and ended up packing those too. We just ended up carrying all that junk into the new house too! So that's something I would strongly recommend, to throw out stuff you don't need!

4. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

Moving is fun and pain aint it? Ok, my tips
    1.Start packing 2 weeks in advance.
    2.Make a list of essentials- kitchen, dresses, bath stuff et all and keep the essentials till the last day. Pack the rest. By essentials, I mean only that which you really cannot do without.
    3.As you start packing, please ( as peartree has already said) discard what you feel has to be gotten rid of, might be something really old.We often tend to accumulate things. Please dont have any mercy throwing away the unwanted stuff.
    4.Inform the post office about your address change. Similarly, inform your utility providers about the same.
    5.Have some ready made food handy at the new place so that you wont have to struggle much settling down.
    6.Set up the kitchen first at your new home..there is some 100% fulfillment feeling when your kitchen is up and running.

And finally happy moving, carry your memories of the old home and create fresh ones at the new home.