1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What are good ways to keep parents entertained while they are in US

Discussion in 'Indians in California' started by chipotle, May 13, 2015.

1. chipotle

chipotle New IL'ite

My mom is alone at home as I lost my father a couple of years ago.
    As me and my wife are out most of the time, she would get bored quite easily at home.
    What are some good ways to keep her occupied/happy. We are in South Bay area in CA.

She is conversant with iPad, whatsapp, FB, and can spend time there.
    Any interesting sites, apps, that you recommend, something that your parents might have found useful.

Thanks in advance.

2. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Ask her to become a member here in Indus Ladies !!ideasmiley She could use her knowledge and experience for guiding so many youngsters here !! And there is plenty of other things here, that she could also learn or follow to keep her mind occupied as well. There are some really good posters here, who do well in Spirituality section as well.:goodidea:

Apart from that, she can introduce herself with someone in your neighborhood, I am sure your area is one of those densely Desi populated. She will definitely come across somebody of her age or even young people, who can keep company and as well both of them could be helpful to each other, all these provided your mother's health and nature permits alone.:exactly:

As for as other queries regarding sites, apps and all, I am sorry that I have no idea. But you could get it googled out, not a big deal. My personal opinion is , let her have some body in person to talk to and keep company while you both are away at work.

Hope she enjoys her stay with you here,:wave

Regards,

Pavithra

3 people like this.
  3. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

I have seen lot of like minded groups in San Jose. The mommy's of the kids usually group together for some activities like prayer parayan. They also indulge themselves in sight seeing etc.
    I would suggest to first check with your office collegeaus whose parents are with them and can introduce your mom to them and she can get engaged.

2 people like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

In spite of all the gadgets, they can keep her occupied to some extent but human interaction is what many miss when they visit their kids.
    When you are working and busy outside the house...but atleast when at home and on weekends make it a point to make conversation with her, spend time with her. Take her out, even to the grocery store. Don't treat her like a guest. Make her feel like a family member. That is what they cherish. Main purpose of visiting USA to spend time with children and some interaction with outside world. When talking with her keep the gadgets aside. I know many seniors tell again and again the same childhood pranks, about relative whom you are in touch with, becuase she stays in India she needs their company, they are important to her...but listen. They would make them happy.
    I stress on human interaction, especially you and your wife and if there are kids nothing makes them happier than spending time with grandchildren.
    Syamala

3 people like this.
  5. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

My in-laws loved netflix, I think they watched all of the Indian movies on there. They were here for 3 months and we took them to lots of places and sights around our area

6. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

My inlaws were glued to Netflix..They would watch all the serials (24, Prison Break). Apart from it my MIL would also watch her tamil serials via youtube