1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What age do kids remember their holidays.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by jayavk, Feb 9, 2012.

1. jayavk

jayavk Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    We hardly have any holiday trips and the irony is that I live in Goa. Now that my daughter is 5 will she remember the holidays we take from now on as my husband says its no point fussing over holidays as they will remember nothing. it is difficult to explain to him that remembering it doesn':rantt matter but the experience does.

2. holisms

holisms New IL'ite

I think not any specific age of kids to remember their holidays and tour trips but most of the kids remember their holidays whose exist in the range of 5 to 10 years.

3. jayavk

jayavk Senior IL'ite

thanks Holisms.

4. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

Hi Jaya,

Frankly speaking - it doesn't matter. Yes, kids do remember vaguely what they did or where they went when they were 5. I have travelled a lot ever since my daughter was 6 months old. She is now 14. She does remember some of the trips which she made between 4-6 but i dont think it wud have made a difference to her if we had not taken her then. We have numerous photo albums of those trips but my daugther is hardly interested in "going down memory lane". She is more connected with the recent trips that we took. But I guess these will also fade into oblivion when she is 20 !

So dont fret over these things. Kids today have much more on their hands n heads than to have "fond memories" or be nostalgic over a few trips. The important thing is to spend time with them, to be there for them when they need u and to listen to them.

love,
    kylie

5. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Same here...
    My DDis gonna be 4 soon and DS is 2..
    I live in Goa... still never been out except for a few forced outing and office gettogethers...
    But one thing is sure, for a child to remember a holiday spot i think he or she should be atleast 8!!!

6. Soumedh

Soumedh Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Family holidays are always important.
    We have travelled a lot with our children since they were one year old.
    Children will not remember all the trips and holidays when they were younger than 5 years.
    But still it brings immense joy for parents to take children around during holidays.

You can plan small trips to start with inside and around goa it self.

RGDS

7. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

Spending quality time with your child is more important whether its within or outside your home. At any point of time, I bet your child will remember the time, the fun, the frolic that YOU and YOUR SPOUSE have with her than fancy things as resorts or picturesque landscape. Yes, vacations, holidays are in trend these days. Do we remember with glee the times spent with our parents or the kutub minars or the red forts? I guess its the former, most of the times.

8. bunchofroses

bunchofroses Bronze IL'ite

I once heard a child psychologist say that 5 years and about are mostly memories for life. However, planning a vacationt aking time off has got nothing to do with kids age IMO

9. qwarentine

qwarentine New IL'ite

I think she will. Atleast i did :)

10. jayavk

jayavk Senior IL'ite

hi you guys,
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I agree its not the number of vacations but the type of fun you have is all that matters. I guess vacation means a lot more to us housewives than to the kids.