1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Weren't they great planners

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shanvy, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I am always fascinated to find why these rituals and functions and do’s and don’t’s came into being. In the journey of discovering and analyzing the same, I stumbled on the negatives surrounding the month of Aadi in the tamil, Aashadam in telugu calendar and karkitaka maasam in kerala not sure what it is called in hindi(?)

Aadi, the month you abstain from any new endeavors, shifting of residence and many more things, though there could have been many reasons

the month Aadi/ashadam usually falls after the summer solstice when the sun moves from the northern hemisphere to the southern and hence it is called as the dakshinayana punya kalam. It is usually said that the uttarayana punya kalam is for the Gods and the daskhinayana punya kalam depicts the shakti. (??) or it could be that dakshinayanam is considered to be night for the gods.

The month is considered very holy with people praying to the Goddess and the forefathers. You start with the Aadi Pandigai, which is the first day of the month, Aadi pooram the birthday of Aandaal, Varalakshmi pooja (the prayer to the goddess for bestowing of all desires on the family mostly conducted by the married women.)
    Aadi Amavasai to remember and pay our respects to our ancestors, Aadi perukku, is the 18th day of the month, which usually falls the midst of a heavy rainfall and indicates to the farmers to start their sowing. In tamil there is a saying aadi perukku thedi vidhai..(meaning sowing on the day of aadi perukku..) . Apart from this the Tuesdays, the Fridays and the Sundays are all important in this month. Some communities do offer milk to the snakes..(infact the idea of this blog was because of watching people doing this)

But, there is an underlying theme behind all the celebrations. This month is supposed to be a lean month for farmers (who formed major part of the population earlier) with the harvest completed in Thai and all the grains used till the month of Aadi.
    So no major celebrations were done.

Houses were not built in this month, a possible reason could be the fierce winds that are there in this month, and those were the days of thatched and tile roofs. I still presume that the same reason valid, to restrict shifting to a new house, if there was a leak or some major flaw, rectifying it during the rains and the winds was not possible.

Interestingly followed practice in many villages, amman thiruvizha , and the kodiyetham(flag hoisting) marking the start of festivities in the goddess temples and people from the village or even visitors cannot leave the village until the end of the poojas/functions of the temple. The scientific reason could be with the change of seasons, and the monsoons, by placing a restriction on the people, you are containing any contagious diseases from spreading.

In many communities, a newly married bride was separated and sent to her parents’ place to ensure she did not conceive in this month, not that it is inauspicious, but for the simple reason that a child conceived in this month would be born in the month of april/may which would be the hottest and would be very tiring on the mother and the child. Infact, some of the proverbs might have happened to instill the same fear. though astrology claims that the child born in these months could be bringing ill-luck for the father..

But according to me the master stroke of the whole planning is the distribution of koozhu, a liquid broth in almost all the goddess temples during this month, ensuring that every mouth was fed, and no dent to the self respect of a person, as this month is a very lean period for the people who depend on work in the fields and due to heavy rains are forced to stay at home.

most of the thought process of our elders had a theme, systematic approach to issues, though the actual reasons have got diluted as they passed from generation to generation and sometimes we blindly follow the same.

Though today Aadi is synonymous with sales and discounts, still the fervor that belongs to this month has not diminished and the proof is to the poojas that are conducted in many temples and homes.

Weren’t our ancestors great planners??

Aishuvino likes this.

2. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

Absolutely yes! In fact I always try to find the scientific reason behind each thing (just like you) and you have helped me to realise that my imagination on AAdi month and its rules are matching at 95% gee!!! :) :)

3. jaishvats

jaishvats Bronze IL'ite

I liked your post Shanvy....

Even I try to find a proper scientific reason for everything and if I am unable to find one , I find following those things very difficult.

When I was pregnant the no of rules and equations that I heard like this doubled.If two sisters-in-law i.e a man's wife and his sister are pregnant at the same time they should not meet I was told. Harmful to the child it seems!!

There are things that make sense. For instance when i am told that you should not stitch/sew in the night its just a sign of protection. Those days there was no electricity and sewing in the dark is dangerous ! Simple!!

4. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Superb Shanvy. Loved the analysis.

5. vijianand

vijianand Senior IL'ite

Superb analysis and reasoning Shanvy!!!!

6. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Good one Shanthi! So true that everything done those days had a reason behind it and sure enough a scientific reason. The very common one I can think of is isolating a lady during her menstrual periods time. It does sound very cruel and claiming her to be ashudhham during those days is something I still can't understand. But that isolation was actually good for her and gave her the much needed rest physically because on other days it used to be non-stop physical work for a lady from the time she woke up. I suppose the body's immune system is also a bit weak during those days and so isolating her from coming in contact with others was in a way protecting the lady from contracting the illness from others...this is how I see it. Loved your analysis anyway!

7. PreethiArun66

PreethiArun66 Senior IL'ite

Good one yaar!! Aadi sale may be due to the fact that people may not buy clothes as they see it inauspicious. Good Marketing funda I guess.

8. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Shanti

Lovely blog....specially for the reason that how you explained about the planning of our ancestors...i have lately observed some of my friends and relatives who just say they dont beleive in these traditions or rituals or they would just say I DONT KNOW...best way to avoid doing anything constructive :)...I really love to understand the analysis behind why they had put a ritual/custom for something and how does that help etc...ofcourse we may not follow it the way they had in their time...as things and living conditions changed..but it helps alot to understand their perspective

Thanks again for throwing light on Aadi maasam

9. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Werent our ancestors good planners? The answer is YES YES and YES OFCOURSE. I think they were more intelligent also when compared to us. Because they formed certain rules to follow so that no one will be harmed. The one's like you mentioned. not cutting nails/sewing etc after dusk coz it might lead to injuries since there was only the light of a lamp, restricting work for ladies on those 3-7days so that theyw ill get some rest(where most of the homes had joint family system and ladies will be working in kitchen)...but what does we do? We just blindly follows these things in the name of tradition and rituals. Some just dont think to understand the significance of those things and say it has to be done so because our ancestors did so. I have great respect to our forefathers.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear friends,

Thanks for joining me and acknowledging that our forefathers's were great planners and there was lot of thought process into each of their ideas/rituals.

will reply to each of you individually later as am little down with flu.

thanks once again dearies.