Welcome to Allahabad -Land of the Holy Sangam

Discussion in 'Uttar Pradesh' started by anoushkapandit, Jun 5, 2009.

1. anoushkapandit

anoushkapandit New IL'ite

Welcome to Allahabad - The Land of the Holy Sangam <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CUser%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceType"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceName"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    <!--height:73px; overflow:auto;-->
    A holy river, a turbulent history, a world-class University, the birthplace of renowned writers and leaders, there is so much to look for in <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Allahabad</st1:place></st1:city>. Its a land that breathes creative of the mind, art and music. Every nook and corner of this city is a landmark - be it Civil Lines or <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placename w:st="on">Minto</st1:placename> <st1:placetype w:st="on">Park</st1:placetype></st1:place>!

Have you ever traveled to Allahabad? If not , then you are yet to meet History. Allahabad is a place that has a history interesting enough to explore, and the journey to this city is bound keep you intellectually occupied and spiritually alive. There is a well known saying about Allahabad - The Writer comes here seeking inspiration and the sinner comes seeking solace.

If you have ever travelled to Allahabad or have some interesting story to share, we are eagerly waiting to hear from you.

2. meerapodwal

meerapodwal New IL'ite

Hello Anoushka, it is lovely to see someone from Allahabad. I had once travelled to Allahabad when I was in school and have very faint memories of the city. All I can remember is <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CUser%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->[FONT=&quot]Auto and cycle rickshaws are available in plenty in and around the city. I remember, how interested we were as kids to know about what Sangam (confluence of rivers) is. :)

You bring back memories of that childhood trip. Things must have changed a lot over the years. Please keep us posted about the Allahabad of today. How's the weather there now? Which time is the best to visit Allahabad? Anyone else from Allahabad here?

Love

[/FONT]

3. mousumidutta

mousumidutta New IL'ite

Namashkar!

I'm glad to see this new discussion on Allahabad. I've heard a lot about the place, but never had the opportunity to visit there. Please tell us something about Prayag or Sangam. How is the atmosphere there? How does it contribute to Allahabad's tourism and economy?

Moreover, please tell us the best time to visit Allahabad and how to reach there. Thanks in advance.

Mousumi

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

4. JoyshreeGupta

JoyshreeGupta Senior IL'ite

I visited <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Allahabad</st1:place></st1:City> along with my father two years ago on some work. We had a short tour of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Allahabad</st1:place></st1:City>.
    Sangam is the confluence of three rivers – <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place>, Yamuna and the mythical Saraswati. Beside the Sangam, is the Allahabad Fort. When you visit the Sangam, be very careful. The boatmen have a tie up with the priests in the middle – together they will milk you of the last farthing. They will ask for money for laddus to be offered at non existent temples – so many temples and thus “x” many kilos of laddus.
    I liked the migratory birds at the Sangam. You throw some eatables and they swoop down to have their fill. Just beside the Sangam, there is a big temple of the reclining Lord Hanuman. Do write in about your visit to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Allahabad</st1:place></st1:City>.

5. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Yes, there is no doubt that <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Allahabad</st1:place></st1:City> is a remarkable city. It has had a profound influence on the freedom struggle and shaped the men who shaped the destiny of India.I too have visited <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Allahabad</st1:place></st1:City> – about a year back. We had a dip in the Sangam. Right in the middle of the river, there are priests on a boat to “help” you along and a submerged chowki. You need to step down from the boat into the chowki for a dip.
    I recall a nice restaurant at the Allahabad Railway station . It faces the city and you don’t actually need to enter the station to enter the restaurant. The restaurant is doing well. Its popular and clean with good food and good service.
    I would like my fellow Ilites to relate their experience of the city.

6. HarleenSethi

HarleenSethi New IL'ite

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TD vAlign=top>
    I agree with Sushma.

Allahabad is a city with rich history. I visited Allahabad some time back. We visited Anand Bhawan which was closely associated with the Nehru family as well as the freedom movement in India . There is a photograph of the spot where the late Prime Minister of India, Mrs Indira Gandhi was married to Feroze Gandhi. Then there is the Albert Park where Chandra Shekhar Azad was gunned down by the British.

Allahabad is also one of the four cities where Kumbh Mela is organized. Then, of course the Allahabad High Court is the biggest in the country. Even today, Allahabad throbs with political activity – at least of the university student variety. During my short visit, the university elections were due and there were big motorcycle rallies all around. Someone even lost his life in a subsequent skirmish.
    What is the situation now?

7. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

Hey :) . I was searching using key word "allahabad" In IL and i found this :). I am not from Allahabad but did my btech at IIIT ( jhalwa) . I got nostalgic reading your replies. Our favorite place of hangout was Civil Lines. We loved tandoor and conneissuer restaurents there. Never tried kanha Shyam though :). Conneissuer is simply awesome !! i never found any restaurent that matches the taste there. Now i stay at hyderabad.

8. munia

munia New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am new to the forum and could not resist to write about Allahabad. I was born and brought-up there and now settled in US. I have very fond memories of Allahabad, specially undegraduate days at ECC (next to river Yamuna) and master's and Ph.D. from Allahabad University. Magh Mela and Kumbh Mela were the most enjoyable time we had. Civil Lines of course was a hang-out place (softy corner). I haven't visited Allahabad in long time (parents moved out to MP). Is it any better in terms of living, traffic, safety etc. I left Allahabad about 23 years ago.
    Thanks.