1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing Sarees

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rajmiarun, Oct 23, 2007.

1. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Today's generation including me, feel so much of comfortable in wearing Salwars, Chridars and Jeans(I cant wear one due to my tummy, but I wear Stretch pants). But I had always loved the various designs, materials of sarees. Especially sarees made of cotton but give a rich look are my love. But as Salwars are more comfortable to wear when working, I dont want to invest much in sarees.

But yes, when a girl/lady/woman wears a saree she always looks like Mahalaxmi (comments all old ladies in our apartment); she looks like an angel (comments all my friends who are boys); we are forced to give more respect to those ladies who work with us who wears sarees (comments my male collegues);

When I got engaged my mother was so insistent in me practising wearing a saree almost the entire day :)spin). I got into such a spin and I said no way. But she again said you have to wear sarees only. Forget all your salwars. You can wear it when you come over here. Your inlaws might say something. Paati is also there so you should only be wearing sarees. But I escaped :biggrin2:, want to know how? I asked my MIL whether I could wear Salwars at home? She said no. :spin. Again I got the shock of my life. I was unable to come out of it. She waited for a few mins and she said, yeah you could wear whats is there? My daughter is wearing Jeans etc at home in US. In that case why cant you wear Salwars. There is no objection from my side. I was so thankful and infact the first gift my husband gave me was also a Salwar suit. I felt so releived. But my MIL said, I would be happy if you wear a saree on function days and when you attend marriages etc. and nine yards when we do Poojas at home. I still follow that.

Though all these are there, I am always a bit afraid to wear saree as I had to carry my son at times and if not tied and pinned properly there is always a chance for the entire thing to come off.:rotfl. But still as I said earlier, I love to collect sarees of various materials and show them off to all.

sindmani likes this.

2. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

I wear saris very rarely - maybe a special occasion and that is it - alhough I have so many!! Every time I go to India, I am amazed at the newest collection -just amazing and so beautiful that I buy one! I wear it more when I go to India - which is usually for some wedding or poonal and I get to wear it often. I had not worn 9 yds in many many years - but got the chance when I was India last since my sister was having "mangili pondugal" - my mom had to assist me! I dont know how my amamma used to wear it all day - I was not comfortable in it - but managed to get through the day.

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I am used to wearing half-sarees first and sarees after that.
    Wearing a churidhar is considered a fashion during my days.
    I am used to it anyway.
    But my children wanted me to wear a churidhar and brought 2 from India which i wear only when i am on my trip to India.
    Regarding 9 yards, i learnt from my aunt when i went to India, this time on a 6 yards saree. It came out perfectly well when i was there and now it is not coming as perfect as before, maybe a little practice will do good, i suppose!

sriniketan

4. ish_nalini

ish_nalini Senior IL'ite

Dear Saree cha Rajmi Akka :)
    Your narration about saree is great...I too love collectiong sarees though I haven't started wearing it...I become a voracious saree collector when I saw Jothika (Kaka kaka) in saree,BTW I am the great fan of Jo!!!...Now-a-days MIL and Hubbies become quite liberal in these chudithaar samaachaarams...Even my sister wear chudithaars frequently....Until or unless we don't have tummy's ,our conscience will surely permit us to wear those dresses..

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

dear Rajmi
    dont know how i missed this. I am not a big fan of sarees. I only have a few and very few times a year. I used to wear half saree before marraige and after that straight awy went to salwars and such. So because its infrequent I feel uncomfortable and little odd when I wear one. so I wear it to temple and poojas and other occasions Its interesting to read all the replies. I learnt to wear 9 yards when my inlaws passed away. Thru all those days till the eleventh i think I wore 9 yeards every day. Actually I found it even more convenient than regular sari. Except when you have to use the bathroom. I feel you can wear whatever u want. But the elegance of saree cannot be duplicated. right?

6. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear friends,
    It was one of my first blogs, and I was really wondering as to whether I have written something which people never liked. It is ok. To be frank with I myself have forgot that I have written one such blog.

It is great to know that I have company and I am not alone when Nalini said that she loves to collect various sarees. Hey you all know what? Kutti Padmini has close to 20000 sarees of various varities and she have given an interview that the first thing she does when she goes to a place after completing all her work is to the famous saree shop over there and get a saree which is famous for that area.

As it is wearing a nine yards is not so uncomfortable if you learn to wear it the properway. Infact my MIL used to wear it in a jiffy and she looked so great in a nine yard than in 6 yard. She is a teacher by profession and I am not kidding she has a gnana oli because of her immense knowledge. You could discuss about any topic to her. Sorry if I start talking about her I will go out of the original topic. Combination of that oli and the nine yards gave her a divine look and I used to tell her that you are the GnanaPrasoonambika (the Ambal in Kalahasthi) and the Gnanambigai. Infact even today when I go to Mylapore I see many young girls wearing nine yards at home after marriage and they dont mind going outside also with the same nineyard. It always gives a majestic look.

Yes AC you are right, 9 yard sarees are more convinient than the regular sarees. But I learnt the trick of using the bathroom also wearing that. That is what all our great grandmothers were doing when they were wearing 9 yards all through the day.

7. Priya2725

Priya2725 New IL'ite

Sareeeeeeeeees... My all time favourite!!!
    But the I dont know how to wear it.... 9 yards tho dhoor ki baath...
    But I simply love wearing a saree.... Please give some tips on that!!
    Some easy steps to tie a saree...
    heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllpppp

8. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Dear RA,

I simply love sarees. I am happy to note that even my daughter has this love for sarees. She is barely 19 and already has a collection. She started asking for sarees right from the time around 10 when she portrayed sarojini naidu's roel in a dance drama at our local telugu association's cultural meet. I wear saree at every occassion that i think is appropriate for wearing saree (and there are plenty) and some times just when i feel like it.

Some time back a female friend of mine who is a psychiatrist by profession said that when ever one is a little low in spirits, they should take a look at the things that they love. So you can guess that i look at all my sarees atleast couple of time a year....

Dear P,
    this link has info as per how to wear a saree http://www.dmi-india.com/showcase11.html

I recommend sarees that have pre set pallus for the first time wearers. By this I mean the sarees where at the pallu part instead of the regular lenghth/width the saree is gathered/ reduced to only to about 4" at the top of left shoulder and the rest of the pallu is of regular width. These look hot and trendy with strap/halter blouses.

there are quite a few youtube hits which you can watch (even for 9 yard one) and this blog has a quite a nice one
    http://nitawriter.wordpress.com/2007/02/23/411/

9. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

I like sarees alot. I love to wear them for parties that my mom attends with her friends. Especially embroidery sarees are one of my favorites. I tried to collect almost all the colors i like.
    I am glad Blondie mentioned that looking at sarees is normal.and is good for you.cause I look at mine from time to time and wonder if it is normal or not. yes, it surely lifts my spirits looking at my sarees.

10. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Yes Madhu,
    Some of the sarees that I have collected are still so close to my heart due to various reasons. My parents first saree gift. My MIL's first saree gift. My DH first saree gift and most of my marrieage sarees are so dear to me and whenever I feel like choosing a saree for any occassion I choose them first and then I rethink of the occassion I had to attend and then force the saree.

And as far I know you look so good in sarees if you wear it properly.