1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing Indian dresses in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by MeenLoch, Jul 9, 2008.

1. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Re: Indian garments

I do wear it when I feel like. Saree may be rear(only becoz i dont drape it well) but dress yes. I have also received compliments a few times from americans.I personally feel that we shud be wear whatever we want. The environment shud not matter if we are dressed appropriate. Today it might be salwar tomm jeans.

2. Shuddh

Shuddh New IL'ite

I am a white american. I joined this page to further understand Indian culture and deepen my appreciation for it. In my personal opinion, I looove seeing women in saris. I wish everyone would wear them! Western clothes are ugly and constricting. I have multiple saris and don't wear them in public as I don't want to offend (although I have heard very differently from many sources. I hope this to be true!) I feel if more people wear them all the time, it will become the norm. When you wear them, they remind you to move more gracefully, to be a calmer person. The way it moves about you is so comforting. I am sure there are those nasty types that have something bad to say, but there always will be for everything, not just a beautiful woman wearing a beautiful sari (every woman is beautiful in a saree! So, please wear your sarees!!

Induslady likes this.
  3. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

How I missed this thread, I don`t know. I love to wear sarees.
    In my opinion, saree enhances the elegant look of women.
    I am teaching Tamil in one of southern california Tamil schools, only in sundays. So, we have occasions to release our saree collection.We celebrate pongal and annual day. So, I look forward for the occasions to wear colorful sarees. Further for navaratri,diwali and temple visit I used to wear.
    When I wear saree I feel like more indianized than any attire. Others may differ, but it is my view. Like to hear more from other friends.

Induslady and Shuddh like this.
  4. Shuddh

Shuddh New IL'ite

I can see that. An Indian woman in a sari is the epitome of 'indianized'. I am sure many assumptions go along with it. And I know how awful people can be. It is hard to feel confident while being stared at. But most people stare because they are beautiful, you probably look beautiful in it, and they would love to wear one and think they can't or shouldn't. I hope you change your mind, in all actuality, you may help others who need the confidence as well.
    I bought a couple "plain" cotton saris for daily wear and I am going to wear them. In public. I am waiting for them to be stitched (I got halfway through a blouse and my machine broke!! Agh.) I know I will be laughed at in some cases, but hey, at least I will look and feel divine. Anyone that is rude about it has never had the glorious experience of being wrapped in 6m of heaven :) I also have a Lady Gaga concert in August coming up that I will wear my beautiful royal blue and gold embroidered silk sari to. (Best colors on me. Red hair, blue eyes) Best wishes to you and yours!!

5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I wear sari to most every important event. Graduation ceremony, annual awards ceremony, Independence Day (15th aug), multicultural events etc. I wore a sari at my citizenship ceremony.
    I don't go to temple and we don't have a big Indian community friends circle. Even in my Indian circle, most everyone wears western clothes or shalwar kameez.
    I love saris!

Induslady likes this.
  6. Meenakshii

Meenakshii Senior IL'ite

Hello.

I live in USA and daily wear for me is usually kurti paired with leggings and also salwar kameez. I would like to wear my sarees more, but I always feel I will be odd....I do love them and love wearing them, just here in USA there are never occasions to wear them. What do you all think? You think I could wear for daily wear?