1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Watson

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

There's a thin line separating regard from flatter. One is sourced from observation and the other from hurried predisposition (you just like the person, hence, you like everything about that person). I avoid flatter because it undermines any genuine regard you might have for the person.

Rule#1: A reply in good-faith is never said but demonstrated, that you took time to read that person's note. And one liners are easier to strike on because they are upfront and unambiguous. Viswa once told me that I decant gravies into the serving bowls without irregular spill inside the bowl. No one has told me that before. "Good", "nice", "tasty" and other boring remarks are what I have been treated to my whole life at any foto I tossed at public.

But to hear an in-depth and thoughtful (as you mentioned) remark cheers up that you are being genuinely cared for and not expeditiously dealt with. The details, it is all in the details, the fondness, the care, the personal connect is all in that observation of details. If you want to show someone that you really care for even their brisk feedbacks as they have taken time, then show them that through details in that you have embraced not only their appearance but the sentiment and expression behind their hurried scrawl. Though our Mr Sherlock Holmes employs such thorough inspection for other purposes, I am happy to deploy them to express my finer reciprocation that I do care that you took time to conduct an interaction.

Gregory (Scotland Yard detective): "Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
    Holmes: "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
    Gregory: "The dog did nothing in the night-time."
    Holmes: "That was the curious incident."

— The Adventure of Silver Blaze

Viswamitra, Rihana and vaidehi71 like this.
  2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I am extremely prejudiced in affection for women who draw delight from constructive activities. I like such women who are focused and striving in isolation or in company alike to sustain their interests. They might not garner rewarding attention, nevertheless, their quiet stirrings fascinate me, and impress me, and, of course, inspire me.

One such iLite I came across recently on my way to dump my thoughts in my chatty Book Review thread is Anusowmyan. Hello Neighbour! Her reviews are not fulsomely embraced with likes and responses. But she consistently lights up the Book forum with recommendations from her reads. I like the appeal she harvests from her reads and shares at IL on the offerings of the novel. Like she did with I Am A Failure…………….. By Akhilsharma

"Learning English language and English communication skills over telephone are the notable point in the book about a language.

Hindi words like Ishq, mushk, aukaat , tedhu, rakshabandhan, char din, char log, and char baatein, khatiya, fata poster, nikala mentor, vasudaiv kutumbakam added fine touches here &there.

Caller id- in telephones, love poems, movie songs, telephone lines- private &social fixed lines, watching tv serials, inter school rivalry, dowry in the form of free call credits &study room table &chairs, dairy farm all these are the most prominent issues in those days, its effects in his life are cleared stated.

Walking dust bin, dressed up like onions, friction is a funny paradox, smile of encouragement, lie build up & lie buster, ambitions are like elephant’s teeth, the ones for display and the real ones are amazing concepts dealt in the book."

So far, all the Watsons amusingly honoured in this thread are loud and cheerful who have made their presence known through their brightly visible and trending handiwork but some Watsons like Anusowmyan are shrinkingly withdrawn from the popular glare that it takes this motor-mouthed, huffing and scowly Ira to drag them to the podium. That's Anusowmyan, the 'Book Critique Watson' for you!

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    kaniths, Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Iravati,

In the community where # of messages, # of likes, # of awards won and # of trophy points are measured to determine the status of the ILites, your above comments is like a fresh gentle breeze at your face during the early morning walks. It makes me compare our sub-division where we have so many pets like cats, dogs, pigs, reptiles, etc. We also have Cranes, Ducks and Peacocks walk around and while Cranes and Ducks are very quiet, Peacocks make a lot of noise making their presence felt. But the most sought after and watched by the neighborhood are the little rabbits. They are not worried about making their presence felt but just focus their attention in finding food and sharing it with their companions. It is such a beauty watching them hold their elbows together and roll their eyes while tasting every bit of food they eat and share.

You have nailed the significance of silent contributors here in IL, I tip my hat for them as well.

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:@Viswamitra
    It was fantastic read throughout concluding with An original pure idea in discovering Watsons among Indusladies limited .
    Identifying Watson among IL’ites of a particular category is an interesting game. We can go for a poll perhaps.
    Thanks.
    Regards.
    God Bless Us All Always.

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Sri Thyagarajan:

Majority of the Americans went for Hillary Clinton but President Trump was elected through electoral college. I am always nervous about going for majority opinion. Mostly it is guided by those who speak up frequently like electoral decisions in the US are very much affected by those who don't show up to the poll.

I like those high quality recommendations coming from individual members recommending Watson for another member. This we know is purely coming from the heart with something they are genuinely impressed with. Moreover, not all of the sub-Forums are read by many members and some have a tendency to hang around with a one or more sub-Forums. It is nice to have an unofficial ceremony here in this thread as opposed to finest narration and finest contribution made formally by a most-revered moderator of this Forum. Ira's above posts made me feel more stronger in this view.

Viswa

Thyagarajan and sokanasanah like this.
  6. Viswamitra

@Iravati,

Those spontaneous contributors like @Anusowmyan are on a mission to focus on achieving one thing right and they don't pay attention to recognition. I am glad you brought this up here and it at least gives opportunity for many of us to watch for her comments about various books. A much deserved Watson.

Viswa

7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I tend to gree with your statement. Majority in democracy wins but voters realizes that they had committed Himalayan blunder only at such time when the destruction is complete and beyond economical repair.
    Once again kudos to your analysis of Watson's of IBM & ILITES.
    REGARDS.
    God Bless Us All Always.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I never doubted the intent of this honorary thread. My hangouts are always such friendly and theme-based threads that charmingly encapsulate flurry of activity to foster good-will and hobnob amongst the participants. IL would have been a very uninteresting site but for these themely discussions.

Watson is distinct from the Sherlock FP. FP is the formal momentary act but Watson is the informal sustained vibes. Sometimes we take to people for our own idiosyncratic reasons. We like and enjoy their company though they escape cogent reasons. Watson is where I can exclaim ..I don't know you ...I hardly met you... yet I think I fancy your striking presence here.

There was another 'Sorry' thread to mediate IL huff, cannot remember who owns it but that concept was great and inventive where a member can quietly convey sorry startlingly away from the heat of the debates we are all predisposed to here. I like such 'watson' or 'sorry' or 'positive' threads because overtly they may be unholding and vague yet they oblige us with the appeal to talk about things that one would not voluntarily frisk with.

With the outlet for such talks, we are inclined to think in that direction. Hmm..that's a positive ...surely a watson ...time to drop by with a sorry card (flowers are expensive!) or a thank you and reconcile with jadu ki jhappi-wappi with this iLite.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  9. Viswamitra

What a profound statement this is! More than 100 nominations were made for Watson from so many members of IL here. They may not have written a snippet but encourages ones who write regularly or even contributed something in a remote corner of the forum or in a forum frequented by only a select few. But if the contribution is valuable, someone brings it here into this thread.

More than Watson award, studying the mind of the IL who come here and present which contribution they consider invaluable, the selfless recommendation about someone they didn't even know or interacted much, is such a pleasant experience.

Is there a sorry thread somewhere in IL? I didn't know about it. Otherwise, I will be the most visited IL in that forum saying sorry to most as I have the habit of thinking way too much from the mind of others, despite @Rihana calling me a person who gives measured responses. As long as it is an opportunity to say sorry genuinely as an after thought, it is a good thread. I hope this doesn't embolden ILites to say whatever they like with the hope that they have a place to go back and say sorry later.

Viswa

10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I agree! I am not much fan of covert and behind-the-bush admiration. I like people to know when I fancy their writing or admire their conduct.

In banter, expression and execution, like form and function in linguistics, both matter. I rarely headlong intercept and gush to rain flatter for momentary act with hasty execution but draw out a thoughtful recognition of their emerging voice in my separated expression. These solidarity-hosting and lively initiatives operate on a matured model of endured affection. I immediately identified the need of this informal Watson thread to other official credits.

In that case, you have a sturdy competitor in me scrambling to that thread in wilful interactions. Many people have told me that I am too forceful and exacting in nitpicking speech. I could write a three-page essay on the toe nail of the left hoof of a Holstein cow and argue with feverish intensity about that blighted toe nail over other fleshy swath. Though I avoid my full-blown argumentative swaroop in IL. I am generally (ahem) puppy sweet and cloying here.

That is one valid way of looking at it. But I also think, the presence of such motives remediates more than dictates the course of our behavior. It is very unlikely that anyone would march rude empowered by the fallback of 'sorry' thread but might considerately purpose it as a toned-down safety net to reconcile heated exchanges in case of a tactless slip as an afterthought.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Viswamitra likes this.