1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Washington DC Ladies - Introduce yourselves here!

Discussion in 'Indians in Washington DC' started by Induslady, Oct 29, 2006.

1. ursnegithi

ursnegithi Senior IL'ite

Hi Rani,

Welcome to IL and DC. If you are looking for desi communities, then Maryland or Northern VA would be ideal for you. DC is full of corporate and govt offices and you dont find much of desis residing in DC. Indians who work in DC reside either in Maryland or in Northern VA which is easy to commute and hardly takes 30 to 60 minutes and we have a very good system of transportation.

Since I am in Northern VA, I can tell you about Northern VA, and my place is just 7 miles away from DC which is pretty closer. In case of Northern VA, You can look for apartments with reasonable rent in Fairfax, Dunn lorring, Alexandria, Falls Church and you can see plenty of Indians around. Rents vary from 1000 - 1250 dollars for a good single bedroom apartment. Few apartments collect extra charge everymonth for certain amenities like gas, electricity , etc. Few communities also operates shuttle services from the community apartment to the near by metri station. Almost all the place is connected by a metro bus to the near by metro station and during the peak hours you get express buses for every 5 to 10 minutes.

As far as Maryland is concerned I will get the required information from my friends residing there and will post you in a day or two.

But am sure, meanwhile you will be getting information from other ILs residing in Maryland area.

Do let me know in case if you need some more info on apartments in Northern VA

All the best.

Sri

1 person likes this.
  2. rani manu

rani manu New IL'ite

hi sri,
    Thanks alot sri...your reply made my search for apartment to be more focused........i will do search it out in northern VA now...

regards
    rani

3. coolmommy

coolmommy New IL'ite

Hey ladies

I'm new to this site. I find it very interesting and hope to make some buddies here. I live in northern VA with my husband and a kid.

CoolMommy

4. ursnegithi

ursnegithi Senior IL'ite

Rani, You are welcome anytime . All the best for your search. Please do let us know once you relocate to Northern VA.

CoolMommy, Glad to have you here and am sure we will find good friends in each other and with the other ILs...Please let us know more about you and your interests.

Sri

5. coolmommy

coolmommy New IL'ite

Hey Sri

Well I started working again about 2 months back after a long break of 14 months. So life got busy. But its good ... coping with the new changes. My little one now goes to daycare so getting adjusted to that too. My interests ... I love anything related to arts & crafts. I paint, design & sew in my free time. I love music, mostly Indian, filmi and classical. So thats abt me.

Do tell me about yourself.

CoolMommy

6. ursnegithi

ursnegithi Senior IL'ite

Thats great, so how do you manage work, household and a toddler all together...must be hectic huh....I am a expecting mommy...my EDD is in the first week of july and am a working woman...Thinking about managing my baby, household and work makes me go crazy...so daunting....but in the initial days i wouldnt have problems bcoz my parents and inlaws will be here...will have to worry about things only after they leave.....

So CoolMommy, where do you live in Northern VA, I like in Alexandria....your interests are too good...so do you paint these days?? what is your latest work?

Take care and keep us posted....

Sri

7. rani manu

rani manu New IL'ite

HI all,

how u all doing today?i am a bit relaxed today since we r sure about getting an apartment by this weekend....but its in Germantown

8. rani manu

rani manu New IL'ite

HI all,

how u all doing today?i am a bit relaxed today since we r sure about getting an apartment by this weekend... its in Germantown.searched every where and atlast had to choose that..we have a couple of friends there ..hope i would like that surroundings......
    Witsendi wonder am i still that old gal who used to feel home sick when i ws in hostel????

Dont know yar..../yaars..................thank you sri eventhough i couldnt get an affordable house in NA.........

HAVE A SWEEEET DAY

Big Laugh
    Ran!

9. ursnegithi

ursnegithi Senior IL'ite

Hi Rani,

Thats a good news...Welcome to DC area...Germantown , though in Maryland is not that far from my place...Good to have you near by...let us know once you move in here...am sure you will like the place....keep us posted on how ur new locality is ....

Have a wonderful day....

Sri

10. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Hi everybody,

Nice meeting you all.....virtually, ofcourse !!! I landed Washington DC about 2 months ago. I am from Chennai , educated from Tiruchirappalli, worked in New Delhi and now I am a home maker in DC....came with my husband. Now started exploring DC !!Enjoying a new atmosphere, new people.. and a new group IndusLadies !!! Computer Typing