Want Inputs About Software Testing Job

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Needtobestrong, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I'm on maternity break , looking for options to restart career..
    Want to mention I'm settled in India, and the city where I stay has many IT companies and tech parks...
    Would prefer working when baby is one year plus.
    Many people suggested that I try for software testing job as they feel it's suitable for ladies and would give stability....
    There are many institutes offering manual and automation testing course for 1-2 hrs duration in my area, was thinking of enrolling during free time..
    I m having few confusions..
    1. I have some basic knowledge of software testing, and some basic experience in unit and integration testing in my previous job..but that project was a very short duration one and I was put in different project and different roles later on and I dint get experience in testing after that...but I was interested in that work..
    Is it ok if I pursue software testing now??
    Due to career break I lost confidence..technical knowledge became totally rusty :(
    2. For childcare if I get help from family and domestic helps also then maximum 7-8 hours only they can support, I.e 9-5 like that..even play schools n day cares in my area support till 5 pm..I also have health issues and cannot strain myself too much ..so I would find it difficult to work long hours..will I be able to get 9 am - 5 pm kind of work timing in QA testing role? Suppose I need flexibility or WFH for emergencies would it be possible?
    3. I don't have great expectations, I'm ready to start out on junior role with less salary for some years..I'm not placing importance on salary n all as my priority is different..I just want work experience....will I atleast get a decent package if I start out on junior role?how are the hikes and career growth in manual tester and automation tester roles?
    4. Which automation testing tool is easiest to learn and more in demand?
    5. Is programming knowledge important?
    I studied C, C ++ , Java etc in high school but lost touch thereafter..is it enough to brush up with those?
    6. How is work pressure?
    7. As I'm new to field should I start off as manual tester and then move to automation testing after getting exp. in this or should I straight away apply for automation tester jobs?
    8. Is it very necessary to do ISTQB certification or will I get decent job opportunities even without certification?

Request People who have experience in this field to clear my confusion..

2. Needtobestrong

3. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

I have worked in IT. Took break and back to IT. With my previous and present experience , I am not sure if there is any 9-5 job in IT. (I have worked in testing too) .

As per your previous posts I understand you are settled in India . If you are not planning to move around then Govt/ Central govt/clerical/admin jobs will be suitable for you. That may have less pressure and less timings.

It is not easy to get a job especially after the break, so keep your options open and after joining if you find you are not able to manage ready to be design. Keep trying . All the best:number_one:

Needtobestrong likes this.
  4. Needtobestrong

I'm sure there are so many of u who have worked in testing profile in companies in India..
    If u share your views and guide me I can make a correct decision about job..

5. sweetsmiley

sweetsmiley Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

Testing is not 9-5 job. You have to co-ordinate with your onsite counter part and attend the meetings too.
    If you still want to go ahead, please try to learn automation testing. Because, its very tough to enter IT only with manual skills.

All the best

6. reca

reca Silver IL'ite

Hello,
    I have heard about Selenium Web Automation tool a lot these days. Our testing teams uses a proprietary tool internally that has been built using APIs provided by Selenium framework. It is opensource framework and you may find many online tutorials.You can Take up an online course and learn automation testing and get certified if you are interested :) All the best !
    Best Regards,
    R