Waiting to hear from dog lovers!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by outofthebox, May 5, 2012.

1. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Everyone in the thread have given enough advice on adopting, rearing and grooming a pet. I ll share my experience of how a pet brings joy and happiness when you are even buying the first pet of your life.

Beleive me, when my hubby was planning to buy a pet, I and my MIL were dead against it. It was a very new thing for us and we were much bothered about the cleanliness of the house and the care we need to give him and also about leaving him back when we had to travel long journeys.

But as soon as my pom arrived as a pup, we got attached to him and we all started loving him from day 1. It was a great delight to watch him and his activities from the day he arrived. I never liked the idea of rearing a pet, that too inside the house, but now we cant live without him. He loves us unconditionally, greets us like the most wanted person in life, and does many funny things everyday and gives us unlimited entertainment, happiness and love. He is the spirit of our life. When he goes to my mom's house when we travel, we miss him. The moment we enter our house we need him. Else it is like something big missing in our life. He has become one of the greatest and important being in our life.

So, just adopt a puppy when you are ready. I assure you, he/she would raise your spirits and keep you happy and energetic on all days all through his life. Pets are dedicated to us and in turn you ll love him for being there for you at all times.

3 people like this.
  2. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

Dear outofthebox,

good luck with your pet :thumbsup

Yes, dogs make the best friends, they dont judge you, and love you unconditionally for just who you are. There are numerous health benefits we reap as a result of rearing pets. It helps reduce depression, cuts down chances of getting depression, and many others, (I do not recall all of them :hide:)

There are many kennels in Bangalore where they will puppy sit your pets, although I would suggest you go to someone who has been referred to you. We have been leaving our pet with a lady called Mrs Das, even though she lives far away from our place. I can get you her details if you want.

Good luck and have lots of fun with your pet!

1 person likes this.
  3. papoosh

papoosh Bronze IL'ite

Dear Outofthebox
    Just saw this thread now. There is lots of advice on the internet around how to take care of a dog and like all things available on the internet, it can be overwhelming unless you know to sort through exactly what you are looking for. Let me share with you my experience of getting a dog home.

I used to be terrified of all animals all my life..so much so that I have stood still on the road in the middle of the night for an hour waiting for my then fiance, now husband, to come and be my knight in shining armour. All because a street dog took such a liking to me that everytime I moved, it wanted to jump on me and be petted...or another instnace, when a street dog decided it wanted to sit right outside my gate and refused to budge when I came near and I was too scared to shoo it away.

When we decided to get married however, my husband was very very keen on getting a dog, and seeing how excited he was, I slowly warmed up to the idea as well. That is all the part my husband played in getting a dog :) I then did a lot of research on dogs etc and finally my heart zeroed in on the boxer breed. As if it was predestined, a few days after that, my husband and I had a big fight and while making up he promised me whatever I want...so I made him go to a vet office to find out about available boxers..and to our luck, there was an ad about a new litter available. The next day we went to see the pups, and its literally like my heart spoke to this cute puppy's heart...and we melted and brought home our darling Sparky.

I was completely unprepared for a dog, but the fact that I fell in love with her the day I saw her helped. We read up a lot on housetraining and all other points. Being prepared for the fact that she was as helpless as a baby and as naughty as one as well helped. So my baby and I went through the whole cycle of peeing and pooping accidents, nipping accidents, staying up through nights when I was afraid she was ill and the sleepless nights coz she refused to sleep and wanted to be hugged and petted instead.

Almost 3 years on, she is still a very hyper doggy (as all boxers are), but she is the joy of our lives. She's our wake up alarm, our 24 hour entertainment channel, our first baby always..and the ways in which she has changed our lives is beyond description...couple of examples below..

My husband is the crankiest person to be woken up ever...in our entired family...noone used ot have the guts to wake him up coz of how cranky he would be. Sparky however has always jumped o nthe bed and woken him up..and in these 2.5 years since we brought her home, my DH is the mellowest person now coz Sparky has trained him to not be cranky anymore :)

I who used to be terrified of dogs am now an avid dog lover and can go up to any dog fearlessly and play with them. I also keep joking to all my friends who are mothers, that with our first baby on the way, I am far more prepared considering I have done the whole..sleepless nights, rushing to doctor, teaching them no means no thing with Sparky :)

My FIL was completely against getting a dog home..but since the day we brought home Sparky, he has warmed up to her so much, that when he went to the USA to meet his first grandchild, the only person he missed the most was Sparky...he even used to send mails to us with poems he wrote for her :)

The thing I learnt about bringing a dog home is there is only so much you can be prepared for...the rest of it you learn as you go along. exactly like there is only so much you can prepare yourself for marriage or a new baby...no matter how much research you do...each marriage is different, each baby is different. So too, each dog is different. What matters is your commitment to staying together..husband, dog or baby....coz there will be hard times...when she chews through that precious carpet, or you find yourself buying the 15th pair of slippers in a month, or you come home and find your sofa ruined, or suddenly your house smells of dog..but the love your dog bestows on you...the concern she shows when you have the slightest discomfort...how her every second is devoted to you and the joy you bring to her...and how she is not ashamed to show it...it all makes being a dog parent worthwhile. I sincerely hope you discover the joy of parenting a dog much like I have these last 2.5 years...

All the best :)

2 people like this.
  4. papoosh

papoosh Bronze IL'ite

Oh also..in my enthusiasm, I forgot...there's a pet kennel called PetSpace in Sarjapur who are very good with dogs. My colleague used to leave her dog there everyday when she and her husband went to work. I have myself left Sparky there when I've gone on vacation and they are very very reliable.

5. geevee68

geevee68 Platinum IL'ite

Just want to inform all the like minded people here that my doggie friend SHEP breathed his last this morning around 10.30am.
    He was such a gentle,well behaved with a hint of naughtiness and the king of Elliots beach;The blessing is that he did not suffer much except for the very brief shortness of breath seconds before he passed away.
    I cannot believe that iam capable of feeling so emotional about him;cannot seem to get it over and still in a daze....
    He suffered a heart attack;my DH and myself were near him when he breathed his last.I saw the flickering of the eyes when he took his final breath.
    Happy to have been with him and sad at the same time:-(

6. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Heartfelt condolences dear geevee.I can relate to your sorrow wholly.We have been through those days twice in the last 5 years when we lost our pair of Spitz breed doggies.They completed a good part of their life span .One passed on at 11years 7 months and the other at 14 years 5 months.They gave immense happiness and that is all we should remember now.It was just age factors and related health issues.They got the best care always till the very end.The last moments are heart rending .The look in their eyes ....almost as if they are saying.." I have to leave now as my Maker is calling, much as I hate to leave coz I love you so much...".
    It will take a while to come to terms with this state but accept it we have to .
    The best answer is to find a little new pet and begin all over again ....we usually keep the same name so as to cherish the departed one's memory.This helps a lot....we get busy with raising the new pet and have less time to feel depressed....life goes on...

1 person likes this.
  7. geevee68

geevee68 Platinum IL'ite

Paulina...thank you for the assuring thoughts.My Shep was an out and out street dog but a dear pet for us.We used to take care of him and his gang.we still do the others feeding biscuits,water etc etc;then giving shots and all that.It is still puzzling that Shep breathed his last right in front of us at that particular moment;i guess there are no answers to such occurences and you start believing in Karma.