1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Visitor's visa - within 1 year of previous entry

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by Praj3080, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Praj3080

Praj3080 New IL'ite

Hi,
    My friend's brother stays in States and she wants to visit there on th tourist visa (she has 10 years tourist visa) but the problem is she just came back in Feb'09 from his place. Now its been 6 months she is in India but she wants to re-visit to US for Diwali.
    Now my question is, whether they will sanction her a stay more than 1 month or it will be restricted to 1 month?
    Please help as she wants to book the tickets accordingly.

2. mom2vivi

mom2vivi New IL'ite

Nobody can say exactly how much time she will be granted for her stay in US. It depends on the officer at her port of entry to US. The officer can give her 6 months or 1 month . Ask you friend to take an open ticket valid for six months so that she can go back in one month if she is given 1 month or she can stay more if she is given 6 months.

There is also a chance that the officer might deny her entry if she comes so frequently. Last week my friend's mom was denied entry because this was her second trip to US in one year and the officer said that she is visiting frequently and said she cannot enter US. Then they called my friend's husband inside and told him the same. My friend's husband pleaded with the officer that she had come a long way and to give her atleast 1 or 2 months. Finally the officer agreed and warned my friend's mother to visit only once in a year.

So it depends on the officer. Some of them are very strict and some are ok.
    I hope your friend will not face any such thing on her entry to US.:thumbsup

3. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

I agree ,it depends on port of entry.One of our friend's parents are here within 1 year and they are given only 2 months of visa.They are trying to extend it,but i am not sure what happened