1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Visitor Medical Insurance. Where To Buy?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Angelica28, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Angelica28

Angelica28 Junior IL'ite

My mother is Planing to travel from India to U.S.
    She is hypertensive and taking medicines for same. I heard most U.S insurances(except Atlas america i think) don't cover pre existing conditions. I want to hav her covered before they land here.
    Considering this, where to buy health insurance? India or U.S.A?

Please suggest.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017

2. kalainat

kalainat Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    My suggestion is to buy insurance here in US. When you get insurance in India, it will be lot cheaper. But that is the only positive thing about it. One of my friends had experienced many struggles after getting insurance from India.
    First most of the hospitals will not accept the insurance company based in India, instead they will bill to you and you have to pay first and then claim reimbursement from the insurance company. In my friends' case, the company said, they will reimburse only after her mother returned to India. Also the customer service had Indian working hours only. So i think its better to buy here in US.
    I had bought insurance from insubuy.com. They had lot of options to choose from. But I dont know much about coverage for pre-existing conditions. It will be better if you can check with the hospital nearby before buying.

Angelica28 likes this.