Very itchy skin

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by curiousgal, Jan 27, 2012.

1. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

I'm 6 months pregnant with my second child at present and the past 15 days, I've been suffering from very itchy and dry skin. I keep scratching my belly all the time and my hips. When I lie down, my shoulders itch too apart from my belly. I do apply moisturizer and olive oil too, but nothing helps.
    I'm living in Hyderabad and trust me, the weather is great now! So I really do not understand why I'm having really dry skin.

My first pregnancy was in the US and I never faced this problem. I used to use Palmer's Cocoa butter cream then.

Any tips/suggestions?

2. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

Have you checked your thyroid level?

Use Dove moisturizing soap.After taking bath , pour a mug of water on your body with 5 to 10 drops of coconut oil or badam oil.

Apply gingelly oil all over the body and bath immediately afterwards.

Take plenty of water.

Many strange things happen during pregnancy time and after the child birth we won't know where they have gone.

I had a horrible bitter taste in my tongue all through the first three months during my second pregnancy.

Have lots of fruits.I think that will get rid of your problems.

Let's see what our Ilite experts say?

3. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

You were absolutely right! I just got my thyroid results over the weekend and I do have thyroid. Had a doc's appointment today and she also suggested that the dry skin could be attributed to thyroid. Have scheduled an appointment with the endocrinologist for this week.

Meanwhile, what is helping me is HImalayas cream for extremely dry skin. Much better relief than the normal moisturizer and olive oil.

4. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Try Bio oil...Even I had severe itching n ugly stretch marks that I still have 8 months post partum...bio oil did help me a bit but didnt know thyroid could be a cause...I was taking meds for thyroid then but may be my levels were elevated then...atleast I know the reason now...

5. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

Thyroid problem causes dry skin.When you start taking medicines,the severity of dryness reduces.Still,follow all the methods I have told you.

6. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

Yes. That will be a permanent relief I guess to this dry skin problem.
    Apart from that, what I observed is that Himalayas cream for extra dry skin has cocoa butter formula...which is what I had used during my first pregnancy as well. And thankfully, this cream has made me feel much better. Atleast am not scratching all through the day!!