1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

very disappointed wit my friends..

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, Aug 6, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My close friends from college and school have changed completely.They have found new friends and the topics which used to interest us do back those days do not even seem appealing anymore.Moreover,there is something amiss.We used to enjoy and appreciate each other but now they seem to be more quiet and do not
    even feel like saying anything positive if I share some good news from my side.However,they seem OK if I appreciate them.Also,they have no time for me!I call them from the USA every month but most of the times, they say they are busy and cut the phone.I tried msg through fb or watzapp but they do not even care to reply.

I miss those days I had with them.Here in USA it is so tough to find likeminded friends and people seem to be so busy or move away to otherstates.Moreover,there is NO CHOICE to choose friends!Here it is like u have to stick with what you got as Indian population is not like how it is in our country.

These days I enjoy being alone.I do things all by myself and keep busy.However,I keep wondering what changed?
    I am going to India for a vacation soon but when I told my friends there,they seem to be least bothered.
    Hmm..I do not know if I am the only one like this or if something is wrong with me:(

2. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

I agree that people change. They have met 100s of people since you left and made 100s of friends. Being abroad, you haven't made any friends. Hence you long for their company and wish they were the same. But they are growing and changing according to the surroundings. Their conversations and your conversations are different. Its just like when one becomes a parent and the conversations move towards kids. You find yourself finding like minded people and the singles or couples with no kids drop from your friends list or those you want to spend time with.

Their lives doesn't stop when a friend pops from abroad. You are on a holiday, not them.

However, if you run into a friend who has lived abroad for a while and now settled in India, you will find them much more open to you. They have lived your life, they can related to your conversation.

Not to worry, this is normal and you are normal. :cheers

Why restrict yourself with Indian friends in USA? You have decided to live in USA, why not open yourself to locals? You might even find yourself aligning with other immigrants, chinese, europeans etc.

Do you go to any meetups? How about arts and crafts or gardening or anything else that interests you. The best place to make friends is outside of work, where you go somewhere with not the intent to meet people but for something else (hobby / sports ). The more often you see them and the more you can share your common interest, the more friendly they will become.

This is a possibility if you open up to it. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    sindmani, yellowmango, pear and 2 others like this.
  3. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Dear OP, ther is nothing wrong with you! You seem to be like that friend who loves to cherish memories, who loves to refresh it with a cuppa!

I would not call your expectations uncommon. However, we cannot expect them to have the same interests as we move forward! You seem to have a wonderful life! Trust me, and that is why you have time to think of friends!! They might be busy with their own lives!! And who knows what they are going through!

Before that

- have you tried to call them on the weekends? It might be that they are at the office and are really busy! Later they would ve forgotten to call you back!

- Schedule a time for skype or something.

- If possible write them a big email on how you miss them and I am sure once if a friend sees a long email from a friend, they would reply, no matter what!!

In my humble opinion, they have failed to cherish the few wonderful moments to share with friends.

Coming to you, never feel bad about petty things. We do not know how busy they are or what problem they have. Let us not expect them to spend time for you. Instead find the friend in you. Spend every moment of yours carefully and usefully. Try new cuisines, set something every week to look forward to.

It is that when you have something great to look fwd to, say - a potluck, dinner invite with friends, movie date with DH.... you would not have much time to worry about these petty things. Obviously, friends are important. But them not replying you is not something to worry upon! They might call you when they might get time or who knows they might have it everytime in their to-do list and is de-prioritizing due to their schedule!!

Well, try contacting them, but do not make it the main agenda!! And never worry if friends do not reply you. It happens! But refresh your friendship once in a while with a beautiful e-card of personalized gift from you. You will hear from them, do not worry!

sindmani, nithyadavidson and anika987 like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

thanks a lot frommars and malini:)

5. sneha10

sneha10 Senior IL'ite

hey anika .... join the club
    even i am in the same situation as you are.... i have moved recently to abroad and friends back in India are least bothered...
    Well, initially i did feel bad but now getting on with life... trying to make new friends, took up a hobby, learning driving ...
    And believe me now i am least concerned about my friends and involved with my new life...
    So we both are normal and change is very common in life... Don't worry just keep doing stuff and enjoy life!!!

2 people like this.
  6. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

I am also kind of in the same boat !! I however did not try to retain all my friends, just 3 people that I call and talk and make sure that I stay in touch !! One of them still dsnt have time !! I have seen tht I have bonded better with friends who are married now as more common topics to talk abt ! So waiting for some of them to get married and include them in our group !! Also what helps is maybe a group on whatsapp , of your college or school friends, in that way some on or the other keeps talking or fwding news abt members of the batch so that way even if no one has time to talk we still stay connected !! Feels good to just know what is going on in everyones life ! One of my batchmates took the initiative to take evryone's number and make the grp maybe u can do the same!! On whatsapp its pretty easy !!

2 people like this.