1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Veggie Yogurt!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by laksn, Aug 8, 2006.

1. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Hi IL's,
    I like fruit/falvored yogurt a lot , esp fruit on the bottom and Lite n Fit ones...Very recently I came to know that Dannon uses gelatin from beef hides in their products. I checked couple of Breyer's yogurt products and they too have geltatin but nothing is mentioned as to the source of gelatin. I would really appreciate it if any of you could let me know what brands you buy and if it is pure veg!

Thanks,
    Lakshmi

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi lakshmi.

Try Stonyfield Farms Yogurt. Theirs is without Gelatin. Also any other organic yogurt should be gelatin free. If you have any WHole Food stores near your place , try there, they should have more options for gelatin free yogurt.

Vandhana

3. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Thanks!

hi Vandhana,
    Thanks a lot for the information! There is a Whole Food places very close to home! I will try to get Stonyfield's from there! Do you know of any other product that we use commonly and that is not veggie? I know I sound like a weirdo here..but you know...meat/sea food psyches me out!

Thanks,
    Lakshmi

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Here is a list that i know of:

1. Cheese : Usually Kraft and other brands will put " enzymes" as part of the ingredients. Please read that as rennet which comes from the lining of cows. I usually get my cheese from Whole Foods or Trader Joes that have specific markings on their cheese packets that the rennet used is veggie or microbial.

2. Canned Soups: A lot of the So called veggie soups have chicken stock or beef stock in them. So i avoid it completely. Make all my soups at home from scratch.

3. Jello: all jello brands have gelatin( unless it is their Pudding and pie filling which is okay).

4. Ready made pillsbury pie crusts have lard ( which is basically pig fat!)

Thats all i can recall right now. If I come across something else , i will defintely post it.

Vandhana

5. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Oh No!

Hi Vandhana,
    I should have posted this query last week! I have 50 cheese slices -Kraft sitting in my refrigerator! and few cans of veg soup. I checked the ingredeints for stock so i think i am safe on that...jut waiting to go back home and check it again! I love this Graden Veggie Soup from Healhty Choice! Do you know how to prepare something similar at home? If so can you please post the recipes for the same?

Thanks,
    L

6. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

tomato puree

hi vandhana

can u plz tell me abt tomato puree or crushed tomatoes? r these purely veggies??????

thanks in advance.

7. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Traders Joe doubt

Hi Vandhana,
    The cheese that you are talking about is it TJ brand? I do go to TJ so I would like to know in what name it is marketed? Thanks.

Love,

8. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Canned Veggies

Hi Sonia,

Canned tomatoes( crushed, whole, puree, sauce) are all safe. As far as i can make out, there is no meat products in them. I use the canned tomato puree/paste regularly. So also canned beans like cholay, rajma, black beans etc.....

Vandhana

9. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Trader Joe Cheeses

Hi Radha,

The cheese i buy is Trader Joes brand. Please check the ingredients and it will clearly list that the rennet is not from animal source. Also you get yogurt cheese which is very good. The other brand that i buy which is free from animal rennet is Tillamook. Whichever brand of cheese you buy, check the ingredients carefully and make sure that it clearly lists the source of rennet. If it says just enzymes, then do not buy it.

Vandhana

10. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Healthy Choice Soups

Hi Lakshmi,

Am not sure about the Healthy Choice Brands. Like i said , i make all my soupd from scratch. I do have some veggie soups so i can post it if you like. Is the healthy choice one tomato based? Please check the label again. Usually they will clearly list the chicken or beef stock. If it just says stock, then i would not use it.

Hope this helps. I will get back to you with the soup recipe

Vandhana