1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Varum Aanal Varathu-vardha

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Agatha,

Back during the days I was working for a public company, there used to be a joke among the corporate executives. We were all excellent crisis management executives capable of converting an ordinary situation into a crisis so that we can handle it better.

You are the opposite. Every pain and suffering you face appears to convert itself into a humorous snippet. That shows how you accept life as it comes. Thiruvalluvar said, "Idukkan varungal Naguga" meaning, "Laugh when you face crisis". You appear to live those words in real life.

I heard Ramanan retired and someone has occupied his position in Meteorology Department. But the trend which existed for years i.e. "Varum aanal Varadhu" meaning, "It will come but not come" appears to continue. :)

I heard the news that water contamination resulted in significant water shortage in some areas in Chennai resulting in poor people buying water for Rs.20 per small plastic Kudam. We watched TV and came to know about the sufferings faced by the people. We felt really bad that why there is no preparedness from the state government for managing such emergencies despite repeated warnings. Seriously, the government should do something to improve the storm water drain, evacuate people on a timely basis, provide assistance to those in need on a timely fashion, etc.

So it takes two to three days of power cut to put the family together in the electronic world! What a thought! When people in the US seek Yoga homes where strict diet, regiment like timing for everything, no gadgets, etc. are followed, I always used to wonder why they could not discipline themselves back at home to do the same.

I am glad you have power back and back to the routine. I know you take care of mom and I hope she was okay during this testing times.

Viswa

Agatha83 likes this.
  2. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Viji for your appreciative comment.

Agatha83

iyerviji likes this.
  3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

Having brought up in Chennai, right from my childhood days, I have never seen water coming out from a tap. Technology has brought out many changes in our day to day lives, making life easier, but one thing which has always stood with us all through the four decades of my life here, is the humble hand pump, which provided metro water even when power failed. Armed with giant sized candles, match boxes, milk packets with long shelf life, groceries and medicines well stocked up, we managed to pull through the crisis effectively. Chennai is such a parched city, that we are ready to undergo any amount of hardships for the cause of getting precious water. Yes, as you have pointed out rightly there is no need for crisis management classes as we are all well equipped to handle tough situations through natural calamities which occur every year without fail.

For the homeless, it is a tragedy happening every year, with no permanent solution. But my heart goes out to those countless green trees felled by the strong winds and along with it the countless bird population. Thank you Viswa for your appreciative FB. My mom is doing fine inspite of all the problems.

Agatha83

PavithraS likes this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Why do people give such charming names to cyclones? Neelam? Vardah I can understand is quite a relevant name. First it was said that it would cross the coast between SrihariKota and V izag. Then it kept shifting. So people kept asking Varadah Is it coming ?). The name probably stuck.

5. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

@Balajee,

The most dangerous and powerful things on earth have the most Beautiful names.vardah means red rose in Urdu, which sure left The city and its citizens bleeding to death!

Agatha83

6. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Agatha83,

A serious snippet with the touch of humour. As you said events like all family members sitting together playing and chatting, each one had to contribute some thing to manage like fetching water etc. all will in our memories for ever. I too wondered with pain what will happen to those birds and butterflies? was happy to see them back in next two days sucking the nectar.

During one of the drought years during 80s made me learn to fetch water in the pot placing it in my hip from two streets away. Good or bad happenings, everything teaches us something.

Also we are in a transformation mode because of demonetization "irukku... ana illa...." with RS.2000/- in hand but no money to pay while the card machines not working or for petty expenses.

Regards
    Manjukps

Agatha83 likes this.
  7. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear manjukps,
    All these years in Chennai, we have learnt to live without water, power and now the currency crunch. When we lived in an apartment complex, neighbourhood kids used to drop in during power cuts and we all used to play Antakshari game - filled in with a good deal of fun and laughter. Kids have grown up and moved to the other part of the world, leaving us- the old ones to see if it is Vardha or Naada, with only kindle, IPad and stored music to give us good company. Carrying 2 pots of water up to the 4th floor might have been child's play 2 decades back, but now uhhh! Can't even think of it. Call it arthritis, spondilytis- we senior citizens have some good company!

Agatha83

8. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

@Agatha83
    What you say is A sad truth. Many of senior citizens are on same stage now, most accepted the reality while still some suffer Hope we grow up to accept.

When anybody raising this truth, everytime I thank God that we never considered staying abroad though thrice we went on Hubby's deputation, we wanted to raise our children in midst of grand parents. Though we stay separately both parents are at reachable distance within max half an hour. I sent my college going son to in-laws and SIL to help them if they need to fetch water since they both stay in 1st & 2nd floors in different streets.

The company givers of yours already making friends with us now at very early stage. At 45 I am suffering from Plantar fasciitis and shoulder pain. Learning to live with it.

Take care.
    Manjukps