1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Varalotti's Story in the Latest Kumudam!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by Chitvish, Sep 28, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Kamla!

Dear Kamla,
    I wrote the story some two years ago. Vikatan rejected it, Kumudam rejected it. But I did not reject the story. It is a subject I am passionately involved with. I see many of my relatives bargaining with the Auto driver and the flower merchant outside the temple. But in the temple they would throw away money for Pujas, in the Hundial and so on. Kamla, I am not against giving money to temples and God. But let's first focus on those Gods who live among ourselves. I adore the lines of the saintly poet Thirumoolar who says, that when you give something to the poor, to the needy, it goes to God. But when you give something directly to God it doesn't go to the poor. And he uses the word, "Nadamaadum Koil" meaning "Walking Temple" to describe the people. Meaning the other temple is static.
    By the same token I hate people who abdicate their work for their prayer. For me my work is my prayer. My office or wherever I work is my temple. I once saw a clerk in a public office spending 10 minutes for his morning prayer when a long line of customers were waiting for his attention. When someone objected the clerk said, "Wont you allow me to pray to God?" Another irate customer shouted back, "If you so badly want to pray, you should have come ten minutes before the counter time. You can pray in your time but not in our time." I heard this statement several years back and ever since have adopted this as my motto.
    This story is an expression of my feelings. I will post this story next week when this issue of Kumudam is off the stands. Minimum courtesy to those who would be paying Rs. 8 for this week's copy.
    regards,
    sridhar

2. varalotti

Thanks, Vidya

Dear Vidya,
    Thanks for the information. But did you read the story? What is your opinion? Please do write.
    regards,
    Varalotti

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

read yr story

Varalotti,

Read your muthirai kathai in Kumudam. It is really good. And hard hitting. You pick the most soul searching topics.

regards
    Vidya Ramji

4. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

My viewpoint

Here is my viewpoint:
    I feel every person has the right to spend their hard-earned money and get the full value for it provided he/she has fulfilled his obligations towards his profession/family and society.
    In the story "Panam", the industrialist has the obligation to provide the compensation due for the worker's family. He did not do his duty of being an honest and dutiful employer. If he had duly compensated the worker, I wouldn't really care what he did about the rituals etc.
    The same applies to the case where you referred to the clerk in the public office. Had he done his duty and attended to customers during his office hours and prayed later, I wouldn't really care.
    However, I feel it is my right to get the full value for my hard-earned money. How many of us would like to overpay for an item that is half it's worth? On the same lines, I feel it is my religious right to put money in hundi or on the Karpoora plate or give money for improvising facilities at a temple or put money in a beggar's plate. Again I would like to reiterate that I can do all these, provided my money is earned honestly, I have provided for my family and have fulfilled my social obligations of paying taxes etc.
    Regards
    Vidya

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Short and Sincere

Dear Sridhar,

I read the short story with great pleasure. It was an impressive story, both in content and style. You have conveyed a powerful message with very few words.

It is true that all religions spend enormous amounts of money on their places of prayer. The Vatican in Rome or the prayer halls of Mecca are amazing and mind blowing. We too see marvels of architecture in many of our Temples. I suppose these are important as a certain awe automatically commands certain respect and obeisance. Whatever, all I know is that the man has to be fed and clothed before he can even venture to visit his place of worship. Hence the moral of your little story has a direct appeal to me.

L, Kamla

6. varalotti

thanks, Vidya

Dear Vidya,
    thanks vidya. One thing you inspired me to imbibe in my writings is brevity. I could see from your posts that you always condense it to a few words but nevertheless retain the effect of writing a full page.
    To let you out an inside secret I first wrote this story in three pages. It was rejected. Then I went on condensing it till it just filled up a page. I was having this condensed story not knowing what to do with it. When Kumudam announced a muthiraikkathai competition I sent it across.
    But brevity has never been my style. You see I have given an one page reply to your two line post. That's varalotti for you,
    Varalotti

7. varalotti

I love this controversy!

Thanks for being frank and outspoken. I am also a bargainer - a tough bargainer - like you. But I want to empasise here is that we should look at the bargaining power of the other side.
    The cost of producing one bottle of soft drink (now called as pesticide by CSI) is hardly 20 paise and they sell it for Rs. 10. We do not bargain with those people, simply because, we cannot. On the other hand we bargain with the poor woman who sells flowers at the temple. She does not have any bargaining power. If she cannot sell the flowers before the evening they will go waste and may be some members of her family would have to skip the night dinner. How much more can this woman fleece from us? At the most another Rs.5/-. My policy is let her have it. Instead don't drop the money in the Hundial.
    I know how temple funds are managed. How the officials and others enjoy life with the Hundial contributions.
    Otherwise my point has always been go ahead and bargain. I am tough when I negotiate with ICICI for a loan rate or with the cell phone dealer when I buy the instrument.
    Let us be a little relaxed with people with poor bargaining power.
    That is the central point of the story. With the widow of the dead worker, the bargaining power is 0. The boss could cut down her compensation. But with Swamiji it is just a single price. Which the MD happily paid.
    In fact my title to the story was Vipathum Pariharamum.

Thanks Vidya, for your comments,
    Varalotti

8. varalotti

Thanks Kamla, once again!

Dear Kamla,

thanks for those encouraging words.

The story gave me an opportunity to talk about the religion and God I strongly believe in.

In my book that is under consideration by the publishers at present, I have devoted a whole chapter on "Manithame Punitham" (Humanity is holy).

thanks once again,
    sridhar

9. varalotti

And Now The Scanned Version of the Story!

Dears,
    Thanks for the affection and praise. And now I am enclosing the scanned version of the story that appeared as a Muthiraikkathai in Kumudham.

Please do read it and let me have your views.
    regards,
    Varalotti

Attached Files:

10. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Your Muthiraikathai - It touched Me..

Dear Varalotti,

Your Story "Panam" really touched me ! You've brought to limelight the true facet of those Industrialist, who exploit their workers to make money but show no feelings when their workers suffer...! One cannot deny the existence of characters like this M.D in our today's world !

In this story, The M.D failed to realise that the actual 'parigaaram' for that accident, lies not in performing ommams or pooja's but in taking care of the worker's family, providing the proper compensation to the wife of the worker, who gave his life for the company !

I see a very good social message in your story, if the inner-truth is realised and corrective actions taken by any such M.D. character in their life, the sacrifice of such velu's in this soceity will have a meaning.........

Thanks for sharing such a Wonderful Story !!

Regards,
    Preethi