Vacating the home before 11 months

Discussion in 'Housing' started by senthprabhu, Dec 7, 2011.

1. senthprabhu

senthprabhu New IL'ite

Hi,

I moved this new house by middle of oct 2011. The rent agreement is made for 11 months and rent per month is Rs. 13,000.00, which includes CAr park area though I don't have car. After one and half months stay in this home I found one new flat for sale and I have booked it too. Due to that I have informed my house owner stating as I got own flat I will vacate the home by End of Jan 2012. Which is two months from now and this honors our rent agreement.

But my house owner is asking to pay the rent amount for the Feb 2012 as well. Which is one additional month over the actual notice period.

Just one month back one nearby person approached me for Car park area and I have informed to my house owner about this and he said no and same I have informed to that person.

Now, My house owner is asking for additional one month rent and also he is specifying the above said car parking incident .

Please help to resolve this issue with him. What should I reply to him.

House owner stay in other city and we communicate through mail all time.

Thanks in advance for your great help.

2. inlovewithmylyf

inlovewithmylyf Platinum IL'ite

Any idea, why he is asking for one month extra rent?? Why is he specifying the car park incident?? Does he want u to pay the money tht he was supposed to get from another person for the car park??

Whatever don't pay a single penny for the month of February... Ur moving from th house in Jan n u have also given him notice well in advance... Then why should u pay for Feb... Tht guy is being greedy... Such greedy people should not even be paid anything... Tell him firmly tht u cannot pay n just vacate the house...

3. senthprabhu

senthprabhu New IL'ite

Hi,

Thanks for your response.
    He says that he will not get new tenant quickly for month of FEB therefore he don't want any loss as he as commitments based on rent.
    Also, We didn't give car park area to anyone... The nearby person asked me for that and I have informed to the house owner about this and as he said no that topic was ended in just one phone call.. I am not sure hwy he brings that now.

also he says that he will return the remaining advance amount only after he finds the new tenant. Is this acceptable ?

Is good to handover the key before collecting the advance amount ?

Please help me resolve this issue with him!

4. inlovewithmylyf

If he cannot find a new tenant, thts not ur problem... Thts his problem... Tht guy is taking advantage of you... Don't allow tht... Tell him tht u ll go to the court if he does not give u the advance n also tell him tht u won't handover the keys unless he returns the advance... No, what he is doing is not acceptable...

5. inlovewithmylyf

If u feel very sorry or sad for him, then stay in tht house for 1 more month n then pay tht month's rent... Do not give any rent if ur not staying there... I think he will not allow u to stay there for one more month, but will want u to pay the rent... In tht case, be firm n say NO, ur not gonna pay even a single penny when ur not staying there...

Ur moving only after two months, why can't he start advertising now so tht he will get some tenants... I hope u will not mind if people come to see the house when your staying there...

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

senthprabhu,

i am not sure how much advance you have given this man..if it is 6/12 months either way it is a big sum. i just want to understand if you are reducing the rent to be paid during the notice period from the advance or are you continuing paying loan.

the notice is for two/three months..because usually it is three months.. if it is two..ask him to honor the agreement. tell him in feb there is no dearth for people who will be willing to move..you can even see if you can get somebody for the house..tell him you will put a tolet board and also his number..

but there are few owners who are this way..i still remember a owner who asked us extra rent, when we had to vacate because our mil passed away.

7. senthprabhu

senthprabhu New IL'ite

Hi All,

thanks a lot for your valuable response.

I have paid 5 months rent as advance (i.e., 65K). Also, I have informed him to deduct the rent for this notice period from the advance.

Notice period is 2 months. Sure, I will tell him that I will also help him getting new tenant.

Is good to say that Keys will be returned only after the advance amount refund? Is that correct wrt rent agreement?

Thanks a lot for your help

Cheers

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Just call him and tell him once we settle the dues and refund, you can take the keys. i still have a doubt if he is going to charge maintenance ..if so tell him it was just less than 11 months and you don't need to pay for maintenance of wear and tearr.. or painting..

all the best..it all trickles down to smart negotiation.

9. 2bkind

2bkind Silver IL'ite

From a House owner's perspective....
    I had given our house on rent and our tenant vacated after 7 months on a 11 month lease agreement. However, we had agreed on terms and conditions while giving the lease on how to solve this situation.
    Either party had to give 1 month notice and if it is the tenant vacating due to any reason from his side, then they have to pay 1 month rent for maintenance like doing painting touch up and also the land lord has to pay a broker a month's rent as commission and frequently incurring this expense ( say every 3-6 months) will eat up their income.
    So, we had a clause which stated that if the tenant stayed for less than 2 lease periods (22 months) then they have to pay a month's rent in lieu of vacating before the agreed period. Usually this is included under a separate clause in your lease deed. If you have agreed to a clause like this in your agreement with your landlord, then he will be right in expecting an additional month's rent.

However, all deposits have to be returned immediately , once you vacate the premises . He is not justified in asking you to wait until he finds another tenant