Using "doctor" Title In Social Settings?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rihana, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

Even wedding invitations say dr.abc marrying dr xyz. In India doctors are called by their tag in all occasions . I think unlike other professions where we can switch off from work mode , doctor is a doctor 24/7 . If a doctor goes to a party and someone has a heart attack they are obliged to help, they can't say sorry we are out of work hours . That aside , I wouldn't want my profession to added to my name . My name is my identity and adding professional suffix to that means that my identity is based on my job, but my job is a part of my identity , not my entire identity itself !

Sandycandy and Rihana like this.
  2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Most people don't introduce themselves with Dr or Mr/Ms in social settings, unless it's already being used. Like my son's pediatrician is actual someone we meet at some Indian parties. Since he's our dr, we always use Dr, but I'm sure his personal acquaintances may not.

My best friend is a doctor. When we are in a social setting, people may know her as a doctor, but there is no requirement for ANYONE to actually call her dr. I think I call her Dr, because I'm funny and stupid like that. When I introduce my friend to other people, I say "this is Dr. .... ", because I'm proud of her achievements.

I don't believe there is an obligation for a Doctor to practice, even when they are not working. Don't quote me on this, but I think there is liability to the doctor if something happens to the patient. Afterall, not all doctors are emergency room doctors administering first aid at a moments notice. And they most likely don't have patient history, which would affect treatment.

3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

There's no such thing. It's somewhat tolerable when peasants (those who insist on speaking English) address me as "Your Majesty ..." , but in social situations I insist on "ba adab, ba mulaihz, hoshiyaar! Be-misaal, zil-e-ilahi jahanpanaah..." and the rest of it. On pain of a beheading.

Sandycandy, vaidehi71, nuss and 2 others like this.
  4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Ouch! Just a PhD!

5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I don't know anyone who uses "Dr" in a social setting. Most of my friends now are professors/ scientists, so all of them are MD/PhDs. Sometimes we use Doctor more as a fun/tease.
    No bragging!

6. NatLuv

NatLuv Senior IL'ite

I have not seen MDs or MBBS docs introducing themselves as Dr. even in their clinics. But the dentists, Ayurvedic, homeo, physiotherapists(!) do that, both in social settings and in their offices.

Rihana likes this.
  7. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Makes sense. There are people who wouldn't trust someone trained in alternative medicines UNLESS they were also a doctor. (having Doctor in their name goes a long way)

NatLuv likes this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I get what you are saying. I remember the few doctors we had in our area when growing up, and they were often referred to as Doctor xyz even when talking about them in a non-medical way. There was an awe or aura associated with them. Things are different now I feel. With the internet, medicine is less of a mystery. It is routine for people to do their own medical research too. So, the automatic level of respect that seeing a doctor elicited earlier, is a little toned down now.

And when it comes to respecting people for the service or profession, soldiers, policemen, firefighters rank above or equal to doctors.

I appreciate the candor. I will confess to thinking along those lines when I was in class 12 or so. PhD was even called Pagal Howla Deewana (crazy, mad) by some. But, after seeing the grueling hard work it takes, I've learned better.

Of course, there are always MD's and PhD's who didn't put in the rigor those degrees usually call for.

9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

You have great sense of humor :)

vaidehi71 and sokanasanah like this.
  10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Because the title bringer of peace and the moon that shines over Uzoagba is already sold, I am auctioning the grander title "harvester of science and the comet that grazes over IL", interested to buy it?

Laks09 and vaidehi71 like this.