1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Untold!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Apr 26, 2012.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I saw them while I was in a local train. They seemed to be from some part of North India, had a lot of small and big boxes and two children. By their dress and slang I deduced that they were of the lower middle class stratum. Both looked thin and were tired as well. What made me look at them more, were their two children.

The older one was about five years of age, and was sleeping, her face resting on her father's shoulders. The younger one was just a baby, not more than 18 months, also sleeping, on her mom's lap. I was instantly drawn towards the baby. It looked chubby and had a beautiful face. I was wondering where I had seen a similarity and then turned to look at the elder one. I couldn't see her clearly. While I was watching the baby again, the elder one suddenly woke up and shreiked, which startled me.

Her parents were unaffected by this. What followed next, was so unpredictable that it got etched into my memory. The mom immediately placed the baby on the seat next to her, and almost snatched the elder one from the dad. I had a chance to watch that little girl clearly now. There was something odd in her. Meanwhile, the baby started crying and by a stern look, she made it aware to the father that he should take it, which he did. I was wondering why a mother would consider a grown up child [when compared to a baby] to be consoled first.

I looked at the older one closely. Then it hit me. Her head was too small for her body and it gave an inkling to her behaviour. Her mom was consoling her, yet she wailed for a long time and spoke something incoherent in between. Suddenly the world seemed to swirl for me.

I read volumes and volumes of an untold suffering.

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Really a Heart wrenching situation RGS. Everything you have summarised in those two words... UNTOLD SUFFERING.

3. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your quick feedback Pallavi. Writing such post depresses me a lot too. But I thought of sharing the impact that I had with all of you here. There is one more shocking incident which I may be writing later. Besides, your feedback sort of warmed me a bit. Till this date, I consider "Insane" and "Mad" as the best that I could write. This comes close to that. Alas, this is real. -rgs

4. enlightened

enlightened Bronze IL'ite

Very nicely penned down...the ultold miseries...RGS

5. rgsrinivasan

Very glad to receive a first from you Enlightened. Thanks a lot. -rgs

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear RGS,

Your last line says it all. A mother never gives up in raising the children no matter what kind of suffering she undergoes. Sometimes, they sacrifice so much so that their health deteriorates. No wonder all the learned and scriptures place them next to the higher consciousness.

Viswa

7. rgsrinivasan

You are right Viswamitra.
    Happy to receive a nice feedback from you. Thanks. -rgs

8. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Painful, but this depicts the beautiful fact that a mother (for that matter both parents) never give up on her children no matter what. Was a bit depressing though, and i guess that is understandable, but what i take away from this is the realization of the strength a woman possess and her sheer protectiveness when it comes to her differently abled child, is what we should appreciate and salute!!

Akila

9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your feedback Akila. You have nicely pointed out what I was trying to highlight. -rgs

10. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The thing that I am able to appreciate the most is: the family taking care of the older one so lovingly despite all the challenges. After all there is still preference for male child in India. Kudos to such wonderful parents.