1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unhappy Marriage

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ManishaBasu94, Dec 10, 2016.

1. ManishaBasu94

ManishaBasu94 New IL'ite

I always get depressed about how my life turned out after I married my husband. However, I am learning slowly that I am not alone at all. Some wives get depressed not being able to defend themselves, some change their lifestyle to suit the surroundings, some get used to it eventually and some quit. I fall into the first category, not able to change myself nor others but trying to analyze things that wouldn’t change. Everybody thinks if you are living abroad away from both parents, in-laws and society, you will find some peace. I don’t know how others feel about what category they are, but I always blame the society who brought up some set of rules for women to follow. Rules are supposed to guide us and not restrict us from being ourselves. This society has rules for women starting from birth to death. Technology is changing, society is changing, but the rules never change. I don’t feel safe in this country anymore. Who made these rules? Why would you think that a baby boy is more precious than a baby girl?

Women are always guilty and men are always heroes. I don’t know how this all started. Sometimes I get so frustrated and ask myself why we all live a life like this. I don’t understand why men are seen different from women. Why should women hide their body? Why should women leave the house and their family after getting married? Why should women take permission to visit their own parents after marriage? Why should women stay at home taking care of the house, husband and his parents, kids and sometimes even go for another job along with all these tasks? Why should women be silent when they are mentally and physically tortured by people, sometimes their own family?

I really hate living this life. I wanted to go to college, but my father didn’t allow it. I hate my father for raising me like this. I hate my in-laws still framing rules for me after seven years of marriage. I hate my husband when he knows everything and still follows the rules. I would like to pack my things and move somewhere else. I want to go abroad and live a different life than I do here in India.

Vaikuntha, dc24 and cravingforhlove like this.

2. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Manisha, hugs to you...I can understand your frustration. yes soceity has too many unfair rules for women....but we have taken birth in this era and we have to survive this society unfairness.

Till the time we woman will keep on giving importance to what others are suggesting us, till the time we will keep looking on for approvals from our inlaws, parents, husband, till that time we will be bogged down by these unfair rules.

I dont know what situations are you in, but i hope you will be able to come out of this.

3. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

You have the right to live a free life. You have to make a choice. You have to find your happiness in your self and your choices. You are an adult and can make your choice. If What you need is go abroad and live a different start looking for jobs abroad or course you can do abroad.You have to start somewhere.... wish you peace and Joy

Chocolatey likes this.
  4. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

OP,
    yes, women have strict rules imposed on them..but when you look closely, there is a good percentage of women who impose such rules on other women. These women must have suffered, but still they choose to implement such unreasonable rules instead of avoiding them. Take the example of periods or rituals where we dont understand why things need to be followed.

All we can do is, since we are sufferers, we need to strive to make lives simple and less complicated.

5. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

Op,
    There is a Buddhist quote that says we are born again each morning and it's what we do today that matters the most. The past is over and done and you can't change it. Every step we take brings us to the point we are at. Firstly in your mind forgive your father, your husband , your in laws. Make a mental affirmation from now on that you are in charge of your own destiny and that no one has power over you.

Visualise your life the way you want it and then set a timeline for it . Say in 5 years you want to live indepenandtly , run your own business or job etc.. each day take at least one step big or small to take you there. And never stop believing your dreams . It's all in the mind, it's all with you. The only chains holding us back are the ones in our mind. Good luck!

Aishuvino likes this.
  6. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Lots of love to you dear Manisha...You are a sensitive and emotional person but at the same time an intelligent and thoughtful one.
    It is very difficult to bring about revolutionary changes in the existing norms of the male dominated society. But we must educate our daughters and give them a dignified lives. We must educate our sons to respect and protect girls and not dominate and exploit them. These two things...if and only if applied simultaneously...can bring about a positive change in women's life.

7. sammygirl723

sammygirl723 Bronze IL'ite

Why are we born? Why do we die? Why does the earth move around the sun? These are questions no one can answer. So can no one answer why women are treated differently from men. You can think logically and say women are softer creatures, need more protection in society and their household roles are different. Yet women are becoming astronauts, scientists, CEO's etc. Our culture still does not give women the freedom they desire and deserve.

My suggestion is to stop asking these questions. They do not have any definite answer and will only rile you up and leave you depressed. Best is to accept your surroundings and the situation you are in and make the most of it. If you are happy and do your best to benefit yourself and those around you, you will have a good life.

Why do you think men are superior to you if they do not have to take care of household chores or live with in-laws? Do you think they are happy with the social parameters defined for them? You are equal to them in everything. If you do not like the rules your family sets for you, discuss it with them. You don't have to break them but you can definitely bend them a little. Only with love and service can you win over the hearts of those around you.

Stop expecting others to change. Change yourself. Try being cheerful with everyone you meet and you will notice the difference in your life.

8. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Op,
    I used to think the same like you since I started thinking. From my own experience,

Some unfair situation is really happening to you.

Some part of it is overthinking...I mean, what you are thinking is absolutely correct but most people do not think so much and stay till, what kind of shampoo, daily chores, what she said and why....Your thinking is above average range of topics. In long run, it will only help you to reel in your thoughts, to the present moment.

Some part of your present situation you can change without anyone objecting. So if you do not go for daily walks, just start going, and no one will object.

Do you have a skill set, do you want to work in your free time using that skill set. Like sewing, oil painting etc, tuitions for preschoolers. From what you have written you have very good education till wherever....that matters

So you were devoted to learning, do you want to get degree via some online university?

You have to find a purpose in life...do you have kids..

Try surrendering to things around you for a few months, see how that works for you...
    Surrendering to everything around me once, helped see people in different light, I knew who was friend and who wasn't...people who motivate you are your friends..

You have to get busy so that you don't have to thing like great thinkers.

9. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

Dear MB,

your post is full of contradictions, in the first para you mention that everybody thinks women abroad are happy(as in that's not the truth) and at last you say you want to leave India. Whatever you described, is a problem with all women - abroad or India. You can't escape that by leaving India. Your problem seems to be to wanting to move abroad and nothing else really. There is no absolutely no need to keep quiet, you can voice your opinions as much as you want - the only issue is that it won't bring the results you desired. If your desire is to leave your husband, you can do so. Your father cannot restrict you from doing anything. It is all in your mind. I am not saying this to slight you or make fun of you. From your post you seem to be extremely confused and agitated. Just think through things calmly. Your in-laws restricting you, your husband toeing their line - it happens with women who live abroad too, so try to think of ways to get your things done, don't think that running away from your situation will solve the problem.

10. sarah123

sarah123 Bronze IL'ite

Not living in India or living in USA doesn't make us happy. I m currently staying with my husband out of India. I wish I could run back to India to a place where nobody knows me and start a new life. But for sure , not outside of India. As far as I have experienced, place doesn't matter, it only people around us matters