Unable to say "NO" in both personnel life and professional life has made me a doormat

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by RoopaGB, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Kishw

Kishw Silver IL'ite

Re: Unable to say "NO" in both personnel life and professional life has made me a doo

Well, I think one way to say 'No' is to say at work: 'I will try doing this but not right away, because I am already assigned with something that takes higher priority, so I will try to work on this once I am done finishing my assigned tasks'. That gives the person who is assigning something to you an idea that you will not be working on the said task immediately, and if its a priority they will do it themselves or assign it to someone else. If they really want you to do it, they will wait, and you will anyway work on it only after you are done with what you want to do. This works most of the time for me at least at work :D

2. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

3. silvertulip

silvertulip Platinum IL'ite

Re: Unable to say "NO" in both personnel life and professional life has made me a doo

It is a problem with many people people that they can't say no even if they want to, in both personal and professional life. On personal front it is more of the guilty factor and family/friends consideration that we don't want others to feel offended so we don't say no directly. And on professional front it is more of work place obligations and diplomacy that stops us from asserting ourselves as we don't want to spoil our professional image and maintain our professional relations at work. But there has to be a limit of what we give. If we are not happy doing something we will be bitter inside and it is not good for us in the long run as we will set the expectation that we will do what is asked for no matter what (e.g. even if there is loads of project assignment/household work etc.). One has to be assertive, yet diplomatic in saying no. May be we can ask for help if we are asked to do some work (like "I can help u but I will need help on this 1st") or we should politely refuse saying I can take it up later if I have time.

How To Say No To Others: The Only Guide You’ll Ever Need

1 person likes this.
  4. pujara

pujara New IL'ite

so roopa
    is there any change???
    what do u thing????

5. RoopaGB

RoopaGB Junior IL'ite

Hi :) yeah ..........nowadays i have changed a lot after all your advices :)............

6. RoopaGB

RoopaGB Junior IL'ite

And this IL site is wonderful site :) thanks to my friend who asked me to join this , i was in a very depressed state and wanted a change or distraction from my worries ..........after joining this IL i have become more confident and happier..........

7. pujara

pujara New IL'ite

Most welcome roopa may your all dream comes true ..............
    tc
    have fun
    enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyy your life
    happynessss is all around so catch it and enjoy it nd share it also to make along lasting happyness